CBR 954rr Wheelie tips

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2004, 06:25 PM

Lucas is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: CBR 954rr Wheelie tips

well good news everyone. been seriously working on my 2nd gear standups. i can bring it up at about 40 mph and ride them ot to about 90 now. i am soooo close to balance point now i can feel it. i kindof lean and "hang back" a little more and it helps.

i also got a two brothers carbon slip on. that helps so much. didnt think it would make that much of a diff but it really did.

now im going ot keep working on BP and also clutching up second gear from 40mph or highway speeds. when i do that im going to work my way down so i can clutch it up anywhere from 20 to 40 mph. im also gonna go down one tooth on my front sprocket. hope that will help a bit.
Old 06-04-2004, 12:32 AM

toby954 is an unknown quantity at this point

[QUOTE=gixboy600]well good news everyone. been seriously working on my 2nd gear standups. i can bring it up at about 40 mph and ride them ot to about 90 now. i am soooo close to balance point now i can feel it. i kindof lean and "hang back" a little more and it helps.going one tooth down in the front is an amazing difference...its equivelant as to 2 teeth up in the back...but...it is definately a good purchase...

Also...i did my very first clutch up in second today...i was sittin down...and it only came up bout 2-3 feet...but it road out for bout 100 feet...im stoked bout the whole thing...now that i know what the heck im doin...i can improve to ride them for MILES...thanks again guys
Old 06-04-2004, 07:02 AM

bladerunner is an unknown quantity at this point

Congrats...keep it up on one wheel.
Old 06-04-2004, 01:40 PM

KungFu954 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey congrats toby and gix!!! And thanks bladerunner.

Well, I have had her up before quite a few times but yesterday I had a success better than the other times. For the first time since my buell I didn't chop the throttle. That felt good. I had been out all day working on 2nd gear bounce ups with very little luck, I'll have to keep working on that. But i spose i got a case of the Fug Its and put her in 1st gear got up to between 7k and 8k sitting down, slipped the clutch and reved the crap out of her and up she came, solid, stable, smooth, I wasn't able to ride it that long cause of the rpms and I was still a bit shy of the balance point cause I was gaining r's. But I didn't chop the gas and that,,,felt great. I don't ever hear of anyone useing a technique like this to learn but it helped me because I felt more confident that I woudn't over rev it, and it felt sooo solid. I was close to the tank with my knees pinching it and arms straight.
I'm not sure if this is a good way to learn but it really worked well for me yesterday. Plus a good success is nice to build confidence. Anywhoo, It's Fricken Friday and I am going to practice through the weekend.
Good luck to all of you.
Hey if anyone is having luck with 2nd gear bounce ups lemme know about the technique your useing cause mine sucks.

keep it up (get it) fellow bladeslingers.
Old 06-04-2004, 01:46 PM

ericgsxr is a decent person

Originally Posted by KungFu954
Hey congrats toby and gix!!! And thanks bladerunner.

Well, I have had her up before quite a few times but yesterday I had a success better than the other times. For the first time since my buell I didn't chop the throttle. That felt good. I had been out all day working on 2nd gear bounce ups with very little luck, I'll have to keep working on that. But i spose i got a case of the Fug Its and put her in 1st gear got up to between 7k and 8k sitting down, slipped the clutch and reved the crap out of her and up she came, solid, stable, smooth, I wasn't able to ride it that long cause of the rpms and I was still a bit shy of the balance point cause I was gaining r's. But I didn't chop the gas and that,,,felt great. I don't ever hear of anyone useing a technique like this to learn but it helped me because I felt more confident that I woudn't over rev it, and it felt sooo solid. I was close to the tank with my knees pinching it and arms straight.
I'm not sure if this is a good way to learn but it really worked well for me yesterday. Plus a good success is nice to build confidence. Anywhoo, It's Fricken Friday and I am going to practice through the weekend.
Good luck to all of you.
Hey if anyone is having luck with 2nd gear bounce ups lemme know about the technique your useing cause mine sucks.

keep it up (get it) fellow bladeslingers.
1. log off stunt life
2. climb on bike

Repeat as necessary
Old 06-04-2004, 02:14 PM

snigg is an unknown quantity at this point

to whoever was askign about my 2nd gear technique, i dotn bounce. i simply stand up in second, steady on the gas then roll off slightly(thus compressing forks somewhat) and wack it. comes right up. 3rd gear i bounced with legs and it came up nice and smooth but thats too scary without a damper. ill try to get some pics this weekend of my form, but im still learning 2nd gear stand ups so im not one to be giving too much advice.
Old 06-04-2004, 02:32 PM

LMFAO eric,,,,good advice
Old 06-05-2004, 02:22 AM

for the 954's which dampener...or stabalizer is the best for price and performance??????.....i wanna buy one this weekend but not to sure which to get...i heard the Scotts stabalizer is good( but not worth the money)...and i heard that Toby and Hypers are amazingly good....give me some info guys...tell me what all u stunters have....thanks...
Old 06-05-2004, 08:37 AM

I rock a scotts damper on my 954 and I have no complaints. I got it for 2 reasons over an Olins damper. #1 they cost the same...and #2 the scotts will still be intact after a crash. Everyone I know who has (or had) a piston style damper said that it was trashed after going down. The scotts sits nicely over the steering head and needs little to no adjustment once installed properly. Just my , go out and buy what you like. Just make sure you get one...it has made a huge difference when setting my second gear wheelies down at 90 mph. Rock solid and no wiggles or head shake. Good luck!
Old 06-05-2004, 11:54 PM

well fellas...went to the ole store today and bought some goodies... i got a gpc stabalizer.. power commander... K&N filter... and some crazy turn siganls..(but who cares bout those LOL)... on the way soon hopefully is a Freestyle Ingenuity crash cage... a rear sprocket( up 2 teeth)... and hopefully a full exhaust system... ( i got a KERKER slid-on right now)...but im gettin there fellas

Craziest thing i did today... i did a real good stoppie for the first time today... and it was soo good that i almost flip the fricken thing... i was 90 degrees in the air ( LIL SCARY)...but no broken bones so ill be tryin some more... later
Old 06-06-2004, 09:37 AM

slim is an unknown quantity at this point

Ride that bitch stock and learn you techniques
Old 06-07-2004, 07:46 AM

md954 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by toby954
well fellas...went to the ole store today and bought some goodies... i got a gpc stabalizer.. power commander... K&N filter... and some crazy turn siganls..(but who cares bout those LOL)... on the way soon hopefully is a Freestyle Ingenuity crash cage... a rear sprocket( up 2 teeth)... and hopefully a full exhaust system... ( i got a KERKER slid-on right now)...but im gettin there fellas
Sounds stupid, but the next thing I buy for my bike is a video recorder so I can tape myself and critique.
Old 06-07-2004, 08:04 AM

The camera is a great idea...I got the wife-to-be to come out and take about 30 min. of video. When I came home and watched it I was amazed at how much room I have to play with. It felt like I was close to BP many times doing 2nd gear sit downs. I felt like I was floating and didn't need much throttle input...but I was wrong. I need to be like a whole foot or so higher. So now I just need the nutz to give it a bit more gas instead of holding it steady and riding it out. I wasn't accelerating fast...but still accelerating. Still in search of the illusive BP...good luck with your camera when you get it. It's truly an eye opener
Old 06-07-2004, 12:22 PM

md954.... what is so stupid about what i bought?...
Old 06-07-2004, 01:07 PM

slim is an unknown quantity at this point

md954.... what is so stupid about what i bought?...
Not what you got was stupid he meant was he was getting a video camera next that what is stupid. I just got to ask though did you really need to buy all that just for a wheelie 954 has enough power to pull it up in 3rd gear stock if your hitting the power band and doing your technique properly. I can pull mine up at 90 in 2nd with no problems and Im all stock with no mods.
Old 06-07-2004, 01:18 PM

I don't think you bought anything stupid. Sounds like you got some great gear. The K and N is one of the best things you can do to a bike as long as it's mapped right. It sounds like you did well.
Time to ride eh?
Careful, tuning that powercommander they can be a bit tricky. When you gots some extra ish go get it dyno tuned,,,it will feel great.
I run a scotts damper on mine too, but I hear the GPC is almost the same. I really don't think it matters too much as long as you have one.
I Personally like the scotts and scotts style damper for a few reasons but they are all personal pref.

Anyway on another note. I had a crappy practice day on Sat. No matter what I did I couln't get it higher than about 6 inches. However, today I thought of something. When I used to have my Buell I remember pulling in the clutch and revving the bike once or twice to try and time it. So I did that on the way into work this morning. It worked like a charm,,,well worked twice out of 5 trys but hey that ain't bad. When it came up I intentionally closed the throttle (figured since I was experimenting so better not push it) but the front hoop was about a foot and a half off the ground. (I was watching my shadow).
So again, I'm gonna start experimenting with that some more

My lil fireblade turned 16 yesterday (16000 miles). I'm so proud!
Old 06-07-2004, 10:58 PM

fastgix is an unknown quantity at this point

i dont know about a cbr 954 but i ride a gsxr 1000 and to ride 2nd gear stand ups i , use no clutch , get goin about 55 to 60 mph, bounce with legs only not real hard but enuff to compress the rear shock pretty good, tug with arms just slightly as i get back on the gas , here is my play by play for a 2nd gear stand up,,,,,, get goin 55 or so standing up on pegs let off gas some, bounce down on pegs kinda hard as i hit the bottom of the bounce crack the gas back on and pull up just slightly on the bars . i find its all in timing to me . gotta get the bounce, pull and gas in synch. i try to get back on the gas just as my bounce bottoms out , im no pro but thats how i do it ... actually 2nd gear comes up fast on the gsxr 1000 i mostly ride stand ups in 3rd with no clutch same technique but starting at about 65 mph, they seem more stable and not so twitchy,hope that helps guys , good luck and be safe
Old 06-08-2004, 12:38 AM

well...thanks for the tips fellas and sorry for missunderstanding u md954... but the reason i bought the commander and stuff is cause i like to go fast also... stuntin is amazing but i love racing... i cant really ride for bout a week now... cause my back tire is showing steal threads from it being so bald... so.. once i get that on( which should be intime for STARBOY STUNTFEST... who knows if ill ride down...but anyway...thanks for the tips and im glad to see everyone keeping my post goin...thanks
Old 06-08-2004, 12:34 PM

md954 is an unknown quantity at this point

well...thanks for the tips fellas and sorry for missunderstanding u md954... but the reason i bought the commander and stuff is cause i like to go fast also... stuntin is amazing but i love racing... i cant really ride for bout a week now... cause my back tire is showing steal threads from it being so bald... so.. once i get that on( which should be intime for STARBOY STUNTFEST... who knows if ill ride down...but anyway...thanks for the tips and im glad to see everyone keeping my post goin...thanks
Oh yeah Your gear isn't stupid in fact I'm working toward that set peice by peice now also. I have a slip on right now, but I'm getting a 3/4 system next,(I want a devil high-mount) then (when I can afford it) an air filter and PC. I'll use pre-made maps until I can afford getting it dyno'd. I figure in 6 months to a year I'll have it all set. It's just that things like performance and things like tail light integraters always compete for my dollar. Then there's the wife.
Old 06-08-2004, 12:46 PM

... yea... im buying everyhting all at once... but... thats the joy in a credit card... do all exhaust manufactures make high mount exhaust?... cause i would really like to get one myself...

Quick Reply: CBR 954rr Wheelie tips