CBR 954rr Wheelie tips

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2004, 02:43 AM

toby954 is an unknown quantity at this point
CBR 954rr Wheelie tips

Sup fellow stunters... just bought my 954 and want to do 2nd gear wheelies... should i clutch it? or just bounce it? or both?...what rpm?...i was told it has one tooth down in the front...not too sure though...any tips for me to wheelie this thing would be helpfull...THANXS
Old 05-21-2004, 10:23 AM

jethro426 is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: CBR 954rr Wheelie tips

that bike will wheelie no matter what. just wack the throttle and she'll come right up. dont be scared. but just keep practicing.

good luck
Old 05-21-2004, 11:54 AM
CEO of o2w

bigwhiteboy is an unknown quantity at this point

i know you have heard it a million times before but take it slow and practice..

you can do it either way..clutching it is the most consistent way of doing things..you will always know what is going to happen..

powering it up is good but can get hairy quick if you don't know what you are doing i have seen a lot of power wheelies gone bad.

ride the bike and get used to the throttle and see how your input makes the bike move. First gear will obviously be more twitchy and responsive then second gear...

in any case enough of my gum flapping read this f4rider gives a good lesson and practice, practice, practice,

https://www.stuntlife.com/forums/443-stunting-help-advice/72156-complete-guide-learning-basic.html
Old 05-21-2004, 12:03 PM

Lucas is an unknown quantity at this point

i have the same bike, i power and clutch it up in first (both sitting) and i bounce a standup in second. when you first try it i would be going around 55 mph and when you get the hang out if you can come down and actually do them around 40. its just easier to learn with the rpms up higher. for some reason i cant clutch 2nd for ****. . .
Old 05-24-2004, 02:48 PM

KungFu954 is an unknown quantity at this point

We really got to keep this post up!! I'll add my little bit of wheelie experiance. 1st of all my wheelies suck butt so this is just what I've taught myself. I know that the bike can be bounced up in second I've done it before allthough I'm not to comfortable with it. First gear clutch ups are what I've been working on. This last weekend I think I made more progress then any other time. What I was doing was just messing areound at different speeds in 1st gear, my best results came from about 40-50 mph I slip the clutch one finger style give her a lot of juice and let the clutch out, I think my biggest problems with lifting the front are 1) letting the clutch out too slow and 2) I tend to lean forward as the bike lifts. I have been trying to sit as far back on the seat as possible which does lift the bike a lot easier but my biggest wheelies have all happened when I am sitting where I normally do (prolly a comfort thing). I also noticed that it helps out a ton when I pinch the tank with my knees, it just helps me concentrate on my riding position rather than always leaning into the bike. Anyway, I'll keep posting my progress here, I hope all you other 954s post here too!!
Old 05-24-2004, 07:06 PM

md954 is an unknown quantity at this point

I’ve been working on my 2nd gear ones also. In 1st I started powering it but after everyone said clutching is better I’ve been going back to 1st gear also to work on them also. I’ve gotten some feedback from a few folks I ride with and from people on this board and I’ve come to learn that body position is REALLY important and the only way to get that right is to do it over and over until it feels natural. Once you are no longer thinking about your position because you just sit that way, you can concentrate on feeling the bike up better.

Now A LOT of people say don’t look at your rpms you should feel it or else you have no business wheeling, but I’ll tell you, I’ve been riding motorcycle for 7 years and riding SERIOUSLY (like everyday it’s not pouring rain or below freezing) for the past 2 and I still can’t feel a whole lot of difference in the power of my bike from about 5k to 7k. The bike sounds louder as the rpms go up but not much in the way of power. That’s been my stumbling block to 2nd gear wheelies also.

Compound that with the fact that my bike is lowered one step, I want to learn sitdowns before stand ups and I ride with people who do everything (including extending their swingarms) they can to keep their front tires down and it’s been a very frustrating time for me as I go it alone. (only advice from these boards)

What I’ve been doing lately is just messing with each range and speed combination I can from 30 mph to 50 mph and 4k to 7k. Make sure you that for 2nd gears you come off the clutch fast and stay on the gas. The few times I’ve successfully done them in 2nd I know I did those things. I still can’t get them on a regular basis, But I try every chance I get (nearly every piece of straight road from my house to my work is a practice area) Keep at it bro and if you find any tips let me know.

Also if anyone rides/stunts just north of DC let me know.
Old 05-25-2004, 12:24 AM

snigg is an unknown quantity at this point

clutchin first gear? i just power it up at like 4 or 5k in first and ride it to the limiter. second gear im working on right now. im bouncing it up at about 6-7k rpm(about 55mph) and it comes right up. im still working on getting used to having the front wheel up at that speed, but it'll come with time. md954, where you located? my g/f lives by hagerstown/frederick maryland and i go down to see her every now and then.
Old 05-25-2004, 01:27 PM

True this, I've had my 954 since march 2002 and have about 15000 miles on her now, I've been working my **** off lately to get the wheelie thing down. So far I've done a ton of first gear clutch ups without riding them out very far I have had a little success on bouncing in second same thing between 6-8 rpm with no clutch. Still working on the regular sit down and stand ups in first most of the time. I found that most of my success has always been when I either ride with my best friend who is at about the same skill level as me or when I say fug it ( aloud) and give it a try. i really believe in riding with a buddy though because this will cause you to get a little bit competitive which always brings progress or injury. Anyway like I said before lets keep the post up and lets hear some more tips and success stories.
Old 05-25-2004, 04:25 PM
Dax

Dax is an unknown quantity at this point

I got my 954 in May 2002, and didn't start to try to really pop it up until the fall of 2003. The biggest problem I had, and still have to this day is covering the rear brake. I contemplated putting a thumb lever on it, but I see that as cheating. So I just started sitting a little bit farther back each time I was trying sit-down wheelies, and now I cover the rear brake about 75% of the time on the sit-downs.

As for stand-ups, I just started trying to covering the rear brake about a month ago, and it's helping to extend my stand-up because I have that fail-safe.
Old 05-25-2004, 05:56 PM

Proscribed$tyle is an unknown quantity at this point

You know what helps with break control (IMO)

Riding with the Right foot on the back brake and the left foot on the passenger foot peg it helps you stay stable while still standing and having your foot right over the brake. I think it works great.

When I first got my 929 I did a few power wheelies in 1st and 2nd, then I just clutched it up like a ***** f*cker, and kept control of the back brake to keep myself from dieing again.

Stunting a Motorcycle is just a Ton of *****, and LOTS of practice. (then comes creativity)
Old 05-25-2004, 06:05 PM

nicky1.8t is an unknown quantity at this point

no need to touch the clutch in 1st gear. i have been bouncing 2nds with ease not riding them out far but i can bring them up no problem. i usally do it at like 40-45
Old 05-26-2004, 07:30 AM

Originally Posted by snigg
md954, where you located? my g/f lives by hagerstown/frederick maryland and i go down to see her every now and then.
I live in Columbia, MD just east of Frederick and north of DC. PM me if you'll be in the area.
Old 05-26-2004, 01:48 PM

I'm in Littleton, CO here and would love to take a day of practice with someone who knows what the hell they are doin on the back wheel. I useually ride alone or with my buddy who rides a ZX-7R. I've noticed that when I'm out with a friend I make a ton more progress think it's the false sense of safty and the competition thing. I made more progress in one day than in the last month. I haven't ridden one out yet but I think I'm starting to get the hang of the launch. my best luck with a 1st gear clutch up was on Saturday I was at about 7k and slipped it, reved the crap out it and let it out, the result was a very smooth launch but I had no room to find the balance point.

Just watched a vid called wheelies from dummies by kyle woods and Matt Gorka. They covered a lot of how to in the vid but its worth it for the footage. They mounted a shoulder cam so you can see the throttle movment. And they had some pretty decent shots of the clutch. Plus, I'll never pass up a chance to watch another stunt vid.

Everyone in this post has some awesome rides. I've always been partial to the silver (thats what I got) but man that black and red one is sweet too. Nice rides everyone!
Old 05-26-2004, 06:55 PM

snigg is an unknown quantity at this point

md954, ill be sure to let you know when im in the area. why are you guys trying to clutch first gear on a liter bike? start the bike, wind it up to like 5k, roll off a little and wack it. dont wack it wide ****in open or ull be straight up. but you dont need to clutch first gear on a 954.
Old 05-26-2004, 11:27 PM

toby954 is an unknown quantity at this point

where do i get this wheelies for dumbies video...thanks
Old 05-26-2004, 11:48 PM
Dax

Dax is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by toby954
where do i get this wheelies for dumbies video...thanks
http://fromdummies.com/product_info....f132a0ec9164db

I don't think the 5 dvd is ready yet, but I think you can order the first couple.

The best people to check with would be Matt Gorka or Kyle Woods.
Old 05-27-2004, 10:27 AM

Originally Posted by snigg
why are you guys trying to clutch first gear on a liter bike? start the bike, wind it up to like 5k, roll off a little and wack it. dont wack it wide ****in open or ull be straight up. but you dont need to clutch first gear on a 954.
I can power it up in 1st sure and I've just about got where it's pretty consistent. But cluching it up brings it up faster so I can ride it longer. I'll redline a power up till it comes back down but I'm just not getting any distance with it. My only issue I have with clutching 1st gears is the size of my ***** when the bike flies up at me. Some times it catches me off guard and I dump it. I doubt it's actually gonna loop but man it get to 10 o'clock fast.

A bit of an update on 2nd gears: Still can't get them up past a few inches. Been trying to remember to come off the cluch fast and there is no problem staying WOT but still no luck. I'm wondering if my lowering of the bike has made that great a difference. I only took it down an inch

Oh well back to practicing. Just wish there wern't T-storms EVERY afternoon here in MD. Riding after work has been an adventure.
Old 05-27-2004, 10:36 AM

Amateurboy is an unknown quantity at this point

Clutch it!! It's the most predictable way.
Old 05-27-2004, 01:36 PM

I agree with clutching, i can do power wheelies but I've never been able to control them and most of the time they suprise the shiat out of me. almost every timeI've done a power wheelie i feel like it's on the verge of chaos. When i get a good clutch up it seems to come up a lil slower, maybe that's just me. I'll try a few more today and let you know how it goes. Anyone having any luck with second gear standups?
Old 05-28-2004, 12:14 PM

ALL MOTA is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by KungFu954
I agree with clutching, i can do power wheelies but I've never been able to control them and most of the time they suprise the shiat out of me. almost every timeI've done a power wheelie i feel like it's on the verge of chaos. When i get a good clutch up it seems to come up a lil slower, maybe that's just me. I'll try a few more today and let you know how it goes. Anyone having any luck with second gear standups?
I love cluctching up 2nd gear stand-ups. I can start anywhere from 15mph to whatever. It's actually easier for me to start them slower than at highway speeds. It comes up faster at slow speeds I suppose because there's less wind resistence... or mabye the RPM range... or both. I do them with left foot on rear peg, but I can also do them with both feet on fronts. I like to lean my body back to keep the bike at or a little past the BP. Once you get it high enough, I think that body posture has alot to do with it. Stand up straight, and don't lean over the tank.

BTW: got my www.fromdummies.com video last week, but finally got to watch it yesterday. Good stuff! I recommend it if you're just starting off.

Also, I've noticed that my 954 needs more initial throttle input than other bikes I've ridden (my friend who rides a R6 said the same). I got a link to a clip with my helmet cam duct taped to my tank. You can see my throttle hand just a bit to get an idea of how much throttle you need, and see how much I roll off. This is second gear stand-up from stop sign to stop sign. I'm still working on being super smooth on the throttle. My prob is when I hit bumps, the bike dips, and I have to give more throttle.

quick wheelie

Quick Reply: CBR 954rr Wheelie tips