chain tools

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2008, 09:31 PM

SloppyLobster is a decent person
chain tools

changed my chain and sprocket today, it came with a rivet type master. says do not attmpt rivet link installation without a rivet tool... called up the nearest shop and told them what i needed, told me to come on down they had it. what i bought says its press tool and the directions make since but i feel like all this did was press my master together, didnt relly look like it was held on by a flatend head or anything just looks pressed together. is this right? or am i still in need of a "rivet tool"? did i buy the wrong thing? or need to go buy something else as well. end of the directions say say use the master link pliers but i dont think that applies to a rivet type.

feedback please? am i ready to ride or in need of one more tool?
Old 11-22-2008, 09:44 PM
also known as OMR

old man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for rep
Re: chain tools

not enough info here !

the two pieces of the link that go through the plate need to be peened over so the plate doesn't come off
Old 11-22-2008, 09:50 PM

yeah it doesnt appear to be that way. all this thing did press them together. reading on the motion pro page and i can see im going to need a "rivet tool" guy must of misunderstood me over the phone or grabed the wrong tool. sux cuz nothing open till tuesday my bikes my only vehicle

anyone in scottsdale have a rivet tool? pay ya to to let me use it for 5 seconds... ill bring my bike to you or you to me whatever. cant wait till tuesday.
Old 11-22-2008, 09:54 PM
also known as OMR

old man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for rep

do you have a link that shows the tool you have ?
Old 11-22-2008, 10:23 PM

bink98xcab is a decent person

all you got was a chain press , you need a riveter, all i done to mine was use a bll peen hammer and back the other side with a sledge hammer. and flatten the heads, got abot 4000miles on it so far and about 170mph no probs
Old 11-22-2008, 10:25 PM
also known as OMR

a ball bearing and a clamp works too
Old 11-23-2008, 12:33 AM

Nick1000 will become famous soon enoughNick1000 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by old man roger
usualy the press tool flips around and u can use it to Mushroom the ends of the rivets either way ya do it make sure the chain links move freely or its eventually gona break.
Old 11-23-2008, 06:47 AM

birdie will become famous soon enoughbirdie will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by bink98xcab
all you got was a chain press , you need a riveter, all i done to mine was use a bll peen hammer and back the other side with a sledge hammer. and flatten the heads, got abot 4000miles on it so far and about 170mph no probs
+1 i done this loads of times with no problems
Old 11-23-2008, 06:48 AM

Originally Posted by old man roger

sweet thanks man

ill also check to see if the back of the press works.