Pink "Anti-Theft" wire

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2008, 10:00 AM

-Knowles- is a decent person
Pink "Anti-Theft" wire

Got an 01 F4i My pink anti-theft wire coming from the ignition (i believe is what it is) keeps coming un-soddered from the ignition every time I do it and the whole bike shuts down. Is there anyway to get around this wire without having to soder the wire inside the ignition can I just jump it to another wire so it will stop doin this???? Each time I ride it just pops off again and I'll get no spark and the fuel pump will be shut down!!!!Its annoying!!!

Any Suggestions

Thanks

-Knowles-
Old 09-24-2008, 10:29 AM

ToKwik is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Pink "Anti-Theft" wire

Good question.

My guess is just to re-solder as best as you can. I haven't found a specific reference to that wire in the manual.

It runs directly from the Ignition switch to the ECU. It is only labeled as "VZ" if anyone knows what that means and goes directly to pin 19 on the gray connector.

Maybe someone knows what "VZ" stands for, or has access to the schematics for the ECU.
Old 09-24-2008, 10:42 AM
Jim CrashoBazzi

imafrogg420 is a decent person

I wouldnt even think about wheeling a bike that randomly shuts down. Mean mouse trap waiting to happen
Old 09-24-2008, 11:00 AM

Originally Posted by imafrogg420
I wouldnt even think about wheeling a bike that randomly shuts down. Mean mouse trap waiting to happen
Well see thats the strange thing is once the bike is running if that wire comes disconnected it doesn't shut the bike down only after you turn the key off and go to ride again will it shut the fuel and spark off!!! I'm just getting sick of sodering this thing maybe i should have someone that knows what they are doing soder it !!!!
Old 09-24-2008, 11:02 AM

Thanks ToKwik I hate wiring!!!
Old 09-26-2008, 02:27 PM

Suicidal Antics is an unknown quantity at this point

solder it good, then put a couple drops of fiberglass resin over the solder connection, and let it harden. This should hold it just fine, and the resin wont conduct electricity, so no risk of shorting out.
Old 09-26-2008, 02:31 PM
Retired

NINER User spends way too much time asking for repNINER User spends way too much time asking for repNINER User spends way too much time asking for repNINER User spends way too much time asking for repNINER User spends way too much time asking for repNINER User spends way too much time asking for repNINER User spends way too much time asking for repNINER User spends way too much time asking for repNINER User spends way too much time asking for repNINER User spends way too much time asking for repNINER User spends way too much time asking for rep
Question Re: Pink "Anti-Theft" wire

Pink wire needs the diode for the bike to run, but it can be bypassed using a diode.
Old 10-03-2008, 11:31 PM

charkly is a decent person

the pink wire is for the zener diode (you can't use a standard diode as a zener ONLY ALLOWS CURRENT FLOW IN ONE DIRECTION!!! any other diode will get hot and either pop or catch something on fire)-it tells the bike that there is indeed an ignition attached and to allow the fuel pump to prime. You CAN bypass it, Ill read my notes to see what the value is.

If that wire comes off running the bike should stay running, just not restart the next time you try.
Old 10-04-2008, 05:13 AM

Rodman is a decent person

yeah i use a cluster to start my 02 f4i ,and from pullin it all the time the pinky came loose. i should probably get a new key.
Old 10-05-2008, 09:28 PM

ToKwik is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by charkly
the pink wire is for the zener diode (you can't use a standard diode as a zener ONLY ALLOWS CURRENT FLOW IN ONE DIRECTION!!!

Maybe I am missing what you are saying, but isn't that the definition of a diode?
Diodes only allow current to flow freely in one direction because that is how they are designed.

But back on topic, thanks for the information about the purpose of that wire.