fuel pump priming issues..

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2007, 11:15 PM

inolen is a glorious beacon of lightinolen is a glorious beacon of lightinolen is a glorious beacon of lightinolen is a glorious beacon of lightinolen is a glorious beacon of lightinolen is a glorious beacon of light
fuel pump priming issues..

So today my bike started having some problems with the fuel pump not priming. The pump ran fine and never shut off or had any other problems while riding. But if I would turn the bike off, it wouldn't prime when I turned it back on sometimes. I jiggled the harness that the tip over sensor connects to and it started priming again sometimes. Once I got it to prime, I could ride around with no problems. None of the wires look frayed or messed up at all, any ideas on what it could be?
Old 02-18-2007, 11:29 PM
wheres all the fat girls

martino is a decent person
Re: fuel pump priming issues..

so its bypassed?
Old 02-18-2007, 11:34 PM

inolen is a glorious beacon of lightinolen is a glorious beacon of lightinolen is a glorious beacon of lightinolen is a glorious beacon of lightinolen is a glorious beacon of lightinolen is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by martino
so its bypassed?
Yea, just a piece of wire connecting the red/whi and ground. It's in there fine. I jiggled farther up on the harness and it just magically primed all of a sudden. But it could be completely unrelated.. I figured if my tipover was causing the problem my bike would shut off while riding it? I mean I'd literally pull up, bike running, turn it off, then turn it right back on and it wouldn't prime.
Old 02-19-2007, 01:50 AM

Hajinomoto1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey Anthony,

Could it be a loose ground somewhere in the harness? Mine did the same thing when I ghetto rigged my acerbis headlight and the ground wire popped off. The only symthoms were that the lights on the speedo were all acting wierd (both signal indicator/highbeam lights stayed on)
Old 02-19-2007, 01:59 AM

Originally Posted by Hajinomoto1
Hey Anthony,

Could it be a loose ground somewhere in the harness? Mine did the same thing when I ghetto rigged my acerbis headlight and the ground wire popped off. The only symthoms were that the lights on the speedo were all acting wierd (both signal indicator/highbeam lights stayed on)
Hmm.. tomorrow I guess I'll tear it apart and look over the harness even closer (I looked at it today and couldn't find ****).

I don't know much about electrical stuff, is there an easy way to test for this?

Last edited by inolen; 02-19-2007 at 02:45 AM.
Old 02-19-2007, 04:03 AM

Hajinomoto1 is an unknown quantity at this point

The F4i shop manual has a good trouble shooting section that I used to diagnose my electric problem. If you don't have it, you can DL at http://www.stephygee.com/.
Old 02-19-2007, 09:24 AM
bp chaser

MikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for rep

make sure your battery terminals are tight
Old 02-19-2007, 12:02 PM
u been huffin?

f4ibry is an unknown quantity at this point

yo man i had this same problem , my tip was bypassed perfectly, but my harness had a broken wire in the sheathing, with undamaged outer sheathing, the only way i found it was by pullin on the wires and it just happend that i pulled on the bad one, which immediately snapped the outer sheathing....good luck, might wanna get a new harness cuz mousetrappin sucks some dick
Old 02-19-2007, 12:21 PM
also known as OMR

old man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for rep

F4i fuel pump wont prime
Old 02-19-2007, 04:31 PM

So I found the problem, however, I'm still slightly confused by it.

The blue/orange wire and pink wire coming from my ignition had some bare area in the sheath and were touching.

The weird thing is that when they touched, it wouldn't shut the bike off. But if they were touching before I turned it on, the fuel pump would not prime. Any ideas?
Old 02-19-2007, 05:58 PM

ct954 is an unknown quantity at this point

My friend had the same thing happen. His 954 front end would rub the wires cause how close it came to the frame when he turned and wore though. If it the same you just have to re-route the wires.. Good luck.. Sucks stalling in a wheelie...
Old 03-09-2007, 06:20 PM

stuntinatx is an unknown quantity at this point

my pump wasnt working either. just after reading all the post i checked everything then i realized i had a brand new ignition layiing around tried it and bam it worked.:YEAH :YEAH
Old 03-09-2007, 06:26 PM
N/A

N/A is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by inolen
So I found the problem, however, I'm still slightly confused by it.

The blue/orange wire and pink wire coming from my ignition had some bare area in the sheath and were touching.

The weird thing is that when they touched, it wouldn't shut the bike off. But if they were touching before I turned it on, the fuel pump would not prime. Any ideas?
Usually that happens b/c it sends an error to the computer and the computer kills the bike so you don't blow it up. The ECU is designed to cut out all power, etc whenever there is an overload or some sort of error (ie: two wires touching while the bike is running) But if the bike is already off and you turn the key on while the two wires are touching, the bike doesn't realize it's a break in the system... now obviously the pump won't prime but you'll at least get power.
Old 03-09-2007, 06:26 PM
Scrapes Elbow

Wheeliest is a name known to allWheeliest is a name known to allWheeliest is a name known to allWheeliest is a name known to allWheeliest is a name known to allWheeliest is a name known to all

that wire sends the ecu 7ish volts which tells ecuto prime the pump, if ecu gets any more / less it the computer says NO GO. i think after it primes and starts that wire signal doesn'tmeanshit any more.
Old 03-11-2007, 12:46 AM

DBOUNCE1 is a glorious beacon of lightDBOUNCE1 is a glorious beacon of lightDBOUNCE1 is a glorious beacon of lightDBOUNCE1 is a glorious beacon of lightDBOUNCE1 is a glorious beacon of lightDBOUNCE1 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Hajinomoto1
Hey Anthony,

what ground? cuz mine was running fine tuesdaynight and the only thing i have done since then is wire up my acerbis...and i did a sloppy *** job but it still works
Old 03-11-2007, 09:17 PM

f4istunna is an unknown quantity at this point

i went out to the lot today for the first time since last year and mine started doing the same thing. I havent changed anything since last year but i did notice when the bars are turned all the way the wires are kinda snug against the forks. Im going to tear into it tomorrow and see, gotta get it fixed suppssed to be near 60 next 2 days. Mine never died completely but did bog down 2 or 3 times while in wheelie today. My lights or anything dont come on when i turn the key on, would work every now and then, when i got home it quit completely lol glad it waited until then since i rode to the spot
Old 03-12-2007, 02:57 PM

f4istunna is an unknown quantity at this point

found out mine had a burnt up connection on one of the ignition wires where the main harness plugs to it. Didnt see any bare wires anywhere. Anyone know what else could cause this? I dont really wash it so i dont think it got wet lol