MY new project KTM400 SM stunter build up

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2007, 02:19 AM
also known as OMR

old man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for rep
Re: MY new project KTM400 SM stunter build up

be carfefull welding the master if it warps from the heat it can cause problems

and here is some ideas for your project ,i did this for nag's 150

Old 07-14-2007, 12:24 AM
hunts and stunts

jstuntlocke is a splendid one to beholdjstuntlocke is a splendid one to beholdjstuntlocke is a splendid one to beholdjstuntlocke is a splendid one to beholdjstuntlocke is a splendid one to beholdjstuntlocke is a splendid one to beholdjstuntlocke is a splendid one to behold

Name:  rearmotardmountedcloseup.jpg
Views: 114
Size:  189.9 KB

Name:  rearmotardmounted.jpg
Views: 132
Size:  232.6 KB

Here are a couple of updated pics of the beast with one of those 18" 'tard tires on the back...it is a blast on the roads, now... I can't wait until I get the 17" set up up front too!!

These are only 140's but they are plenty wide for me, It smoothed out the wheelies, and drifting is a piece of cake, only I can't quite keep the drifting circles going for too many rotations yet. Got it on my first try for like 1 and 1/13th of a circle and had to let out of it or crash!! LOL not bad for my first attempt ever at drifting from a powerslide though!

Old Man Rog, thanks for the ideas , sweet parts dude, I wish that we lived closer together....I want a custom subframe built with some tabs installed for cheater pegs, and a scrape bar set up too. I remember seeing that pic posted up somewhere else too and telling you how cool I thought it was then...
I also got your PM and YES SIR, the 07 and 06 gixxer 600's are the same!! Hey, is $80.oo a good deal for powdercoating my frame on this bike?? Thanks Rog.

and Kaiks, don't you ever check your pms?? I sent you one cuz I want to get a big sprocket soon, and you said you'd hook me up with your source...I'm still waiting ...

later all...
Old 07-14-2007, 02:03 AM
also known as OMR

old man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for rep

talk to wheeliest he has his own powder coating business

and i was told he has a gsxr but carlos thinks the dude bought a zx6r and he soeaks portuguess[sp] so it may be a gsxr or a zx6r i will have to talk to him again and find out.....
Old 07-14-2007, 11:34 PM
hunts and stunts

jstuntlocke is a splendid one to beholdjstuntlocke is a splendid one to beholdjstuntlocke is a splendid one to beholdjstuntlocke is a splendid one to beholdjstuntlocke is a splendid one to beholdjstuntlocke is a splendid one to beholdjstuntlocke is a splendid one to behold

Well, here are some pics from today at a new lot that I found while prospecting for a place to ride closer to home than KC proper.....

I'm happy! I mean for what it is right now I guess.

To be honest: I need somewhere to stick my left foot to ride staggard stance, and one down and 3 up is not enough with the gearing, the exhaust leak is annoying, need to ditch the stupid 21" front rim.... I could go on and on...in fact I will!! I will go on and on until I make it what I envision it to be. I will have to come back and read this post I made after I have spent my 3 grand-ish limit, so that I can laugh at myself!

In the meantime, I'm still havin a blast with it.
still learning the tardedness of a tard.......... or 1/2 tard or whatever!!

Name:  jstunt.jpg
Views: 106
Size:  134.3 KB

Name:  HPIM1355.jpg
Size:  143.9 KB

Name:  KTMsitdown2.jpg
Views: 111
Size:  115.7 KB

Name:  KTMspreader.jpg
Views: 105
Size:  208.9 KB

Name:  KTMsitdown.jpg
Views: 146
Size:  166.1 KB

Name:  blurrywheelie.jpg
Views: 96
Size:  96.4 KB

Name:  lookatmelookatyou.jpg
Views: 102
Size:  137.6 KB

Name:  panoramic.jpg
Views: 130
Size:  59.7 KB

Name:  onehandedburnies.jpg
Views: 99
Size:  148.9 KB

Name:  hokeypokey.jpg
Views: 129
Size:  146.1 KB

Name:  theend.jpg
Size:  167.6 KB

Name:  HPIM1410.jpg
Views: 119
Size:  99.7 KB

Last edited by jstuntlocke; 07-14-2007 at 11:38 PM.
Old 07-15-2007, 04:00 AM
also known as OMR

nice but quit looking at the camera, goober....lol
Old 07-15-2007, 01:55 PM
hunts and stunts

hahaha Your'e a goober too Roger!! Oh well, looks like you are the only one reading this thread anyways....

not all things are as they seem.......
The chick taking my pics was hotter than doughnut grease!!

J/k - it was a scrubby dude I know from Denver, who was all stoned!! I just wanted to sound cool like you playa!
Seriously though, it is hard to find someone to take good photos. Most of the other ones were right when I was coming up, setting down, throttleing into it, or only 1/2 of me in the frame, and all out of focus or something. I basically put in what turned out 1/2 way decent.

Stay tuned, and let's see what the pics look like after gearing, cheater pegs, and some practice time.....

That is why I have this thread anyways too, to sort of track my progress building and learning on this bike.

I have to strap a long chain around my 57 teether for my suzuki to finish set up for it (minus the OMR sub-cage,lol). Then you can make fun of my pics of me on that thing too! I can't wait!!
Old 07-15-2007, 05:01 PM
also known as OMR

im still keeping my eyes out for an 06 07....
Old 07-15-2007, 06:38 PM
also known as OMR

that and this thread has 280 some thing veiws so im not the only one looking at it
Old 07-15-2007, 07:52 PM
hunts and stunts

yep, just 10,100 something more to go until I catch up to the sub-frame thread. LOL
Old 07-17-2007, 05:51 AM

kaiks is an unknown quantity at this point

sorry dude i got a **** load of pms and didnt see urs ill answer back now
Old 07-17-2007, 09:36 AM
hunts and stunts

Originally Posted by kaiks
sorry dude i got a **** load of pms and didnt see urs ill answer back now

Old 07-17-2007, 01:06 PM

Goodluckmonkey is an unknown quantity at this point

Pics of my setup.
Not using the HB yet, but made it whilst I was rebuilding my bike, as it was the right time to make it.
Attached to a 14mm master, makes a really strong setup. The bracket's made from WR 426 and 450 caliper hangers, lumiwelded together. (Lumiweld did a great job of sticking the damper mount back on my TL - really good stuff)
The way it's cut means the welds aren't stressed, as all they do is prevent the setup rattling.
Sub-subframe is made from 14mm steel tube brazed together - strong as heck too, and tucks away under the rear mudguard for a standard look.

HB setup cost me £56 (brake line is from a peugeot speedfight scooter)
Subframe cost me £7 inc. brazing rods.

Hope it provides some inspiration.

Old 07-17-2007, 02:32 PM
hunts and stunts

Nice tard!
That's a crazy dual caliper set up there m8! Sick sub-frame too. I wish I had all the access to the welding set-ups that alot of the people posting on here do.
....I got some cool ideas of my own about subframe issues, mine are both from a strength standpoint, and from looking for a better place to put my foot/feet. I may quick fix this issue with creative plating and add some rear pegs to get practicing sooner while I earn some more play money.
I will eventually go with a custom one-off subframe with integrated scrape bar and OMR style sub-cage/peg-bracket.

....for now, I would just be happy with, like I said, someplace new to put my feet, a HB and big sprocket! The front wheel/tire and exhaust are going to cost me around $1,000.00 and that isn't even getting into the motor yet...I found a cool 483kit that I wish I didn't see!! I have to keep a level head while shopping, otherwise I will go nuts and buy everything for this bike and over-kill the damn thing!! LOL

Interesting side note:
My stoppies are happening easier on the sportbikes now I really never did one on purpose before on a streetbike to be painfully honest..Oh I tried a lot, I just couldn't get it.
I have ben able to roll 'em about 15 feet on my pit bike for a while now, and been trying them out on the KTM only a few times. Every time I would try on a sportbike before, the front tire would lock up, turn all the way to the stop and leave a black mark for about 25 feet! Sort of scary at 25-30mph! Finally got them to happen on the KTM, and....
Now.... this afternoon, I did it every time I tried on my zook! Not at pro level, but tons better than I was before getting the motard.
I think it's working...my evil plan that is.
Old 07-17-2007, 03:44 PM

I'm no master fabricator - It's just that everyone has it within them to do anything with enough patience and effort.
A logical approach, and a bit of design time beforehand, and you can make anything.

If you can ****, you can braze stuff, and lumiweld (for alloy) is just as easy.

Vice, a pencil, tape measure, hacksaw, brazing rods and a gas torch, and you're set. :YEAH

The bends were made by hand - Made a wooden jig and screwed it to the workbench. packed the tube with sand and gaffa-taped the ends, heated the tube to cherry, and bent it round the jig. Cheap and easy.

I made the caliper bracket with a hacksaw, a file and a bench grinder. Then lumiwelded it - only took a couuple of hours. The fact that i designed it as two halves so that they both hung off the spindle meant i could use the spindle as a jig to align everything properly, and when you apply the brake, they pull through the spindle, instead of on the welds.
It's a neat, simple, cheap solution.
Cheaper than me having a HB adaptor made for the rear master anyway, as I don't have access to a lathe. I only work in an office!

Last edited by Goodluckmonkey; 07-17-2007 at 03:51 PM.
Old 07-17-2007, 06:11 PM
hunts and stunts

I'm a painting contractor. I don't work on bikes for a living or anything either, but I can definately relate and appreciate making tools and stuff to get the job done on your own....

I just did the cheap HB adapter on my own with the Gixxer, and had a dude weld it for me...Got the idea and parts from a friend anyways, I plan to do the same thing with this KTM...that was little work for me and cheap as hell too. The only thing is, I can't use both like you can with seperate lines and calipers...basically like two different braking systems.
...pretty safe too!

Got any pics or video of you riding this bike Mr.good luck monkey? Post em up!
Old 07-18-2007, 09:47 AM
hunts and stunts

Just called the County appraiser and treasurer's office to find out how much a plate was going to run me...

$12. a year for property tax!!(like 35.00 registration fee) and only $90. a year for full coverage insurance on the bike.... @ $4,500.00 pay-off if bike gets totaled out!!:YEAH

So, total for my tags and one year of full coverage insurance with adding alot of accessories with the coverage, is only like $130.00!!! Almost the identical total for one year of tags on the Suzuki...that is not including insurance, just the new sticker for the plate! Cool.
Old 07-18-2007, 01:07 PM

Originally Posted by jstuntlocke
Got any pics or video of you riding this bike Mr.good luck monkey? Post em up!
No vids yet really. Only properly started stunting it last Sunday after a 2 year lay-off from wheelies, so Sunday was my first day trying to go slow.

Really hooked now, and we've got a regular, hired spot, so there should be a few videos coming up from time to time.

Old 07-18-2007, 05:16 PM
hunts and stunts

Sweet....
I actually saw a thread of a vid that your M8 posted of ya'll riding in your rented lot earlier thismorning. I wish we could rent lots around here. That isn't a bad idea.

Not a whole lot of you and the 'tard in the vid., more of your friend on his F4i. But stil, it all looked very, VERY, familiar! I'm learning to push it to the 12 'o clock balance point and slow em down this summer also. How many nights per week do you guys practice? I'm trying to get a proper training schedule, but it is hard to find someone to ride with or to spot all the time for me. All the other crazies live in the city whereas I'm in the country... so I don't get to ride with pro. level stunters as much as I would like.

I haven't been on the KTM for long either (3 weeks?) and only riding period for about 3 1/2 - 4 years maybe?? Started out with clutch ups in second gear on the RSV when I got it brand new for $9,500.00 in 03!! That was cheap for one of those here, and I had never ridden anything on two wheels with a motor before in my life! I just heard that that bike was the ****...so I bought it! Only later did I seriously decide to stunt. It was last fall when I finished the 900 and got the zook.... now I'm obsessed with this KTM and I haven't ridden the other bikes hardly at all!!

And I really wish that I had someplace for my damned feet besides the seat and pegs!! That looks like the ticket there, with your set up in action, looks like your'e putting the HB to good use then??

I want some passengar pegs soon, so I can climb around from the position you are in in the pic, and throw in the combo wombos like on the fiddy.... Then, after gearing... look out circles here I come! LOL

What gearing do you have installed currently? Is that, a Yamaha? You guys get all the cool motard stuff over there!

Look forward to watching the progress....maybe you can watch me at the same time and then we can critique eachother to help eachother out as we both get better? I will be riding and learning on the big bikes also though. Our levels may be pretty similar at this point on the motards, do you have a streetbike that you will be stunting on too?

I have a totally set up 06 gixxer six, and I will be posting vids/ more pics up hopefully pretty soon, of myself on both of my stuntbikes... but not including the fiddy, that almost seems like cheating anymore! LOL I have even been contemplating selling the 90cc pit bike to pay for the tard setup. hmmmmm

Damn it seems like I always type alot! I must have alot to say I guess!!
Old 07-18-2007, 07:07 PM

****! wrote out a long reply, then my computer ate it.

The basics of it were:

It's a Yamaha WR426F
Gearing's stock - WR means wide-ratio, so 1st's low - this'll be the same on your EXC, as it's an enduro, and not a stunter - you'll find 6th is longer on your bike too. (I think the 400 is a six-speeder - haven't ridden one in about 4 years)

That was my first day stunting properly, and not doing wheelies on rideouts, on the way to work, or in the middle of trails.

Not really used the HB properly yet, gotta learn to be perfect on the footbrake first.

The spot's great, but expensive, so it looks like it'll be a fortnightly thing - better than no practice though, and I should make some progress, albeit slowly.

Just looking forward to riding often really, as i've only really had a few hours a year at spots before.
We may have all the motard parts here, but we've nowhere to ride.

Last edited by Goodluckmonkey; 07-18-2007 at 07:11 PM.
Old 07-18-2007, 08:35 PM
also known as OMR

um you have a lathe in barn so you could just spin up an adapter for your master..........

just a thought.......lol

Quick Reply: MY new project KTM400 SM stunter build up