Stunt Bike Forum

Stunt Bike Forum (https://www.stuntlife.com/forums/)
-   Super Moto/Motards... (https://www.stuntlife.com/forums/354-super-moto-motards)
-   -   MY new project KTM400 SM stunter build up (https://www.stuntlife.com/forums/354-super-moto-motards/194048-my-new-project-ktm400.html)

jstuntlocke 07-02-2007 11:41 AM

MY new project KTM400 SM stunter build up

1 Attachment(s)
Just got this bike instead of a CRF450......a 2002 KTM 400exc.

[ATTACH]196303[/ATTACH]

I have slowly been removing the orange with a cheap fix for now, and cleaning the bike up from the previous owner's love for woods riding and trials.

As you can see it has the trials tires on it, pretty good for the street...the front end hops at speed, but the wheel doesn't seem to be bent. Must just be unbalanced or something. Anyhow in search for an SM set up in that area anyways!

It has risers, a GPR steering stabilizer, 2005 front end(with extra air cartridges mounted?), and a title for the streets already!! The fella just got done doing alot of work getting the bike ready for a trip to Colorado...It runs very well. He has 1 down in the front and 3 up in the rear so it has some gearing.......that's cool.

Let's see..Oh yea, it has axle pulls, and every kind of guard that you could think of. It was ridden you can tell, but well maintained. This guy had alot of stuff in boxes that were just so when his bike broke later, he didn't want to be broke himself. I almost crapped myself when I saw all of that stuff in KTM factory parts boxes...I won't have to buy a new clutch kit when I smoke this one!!

Parts I need now are new exhaust, I would even take a new stock exhaust because this one is loose in the front, and the midpipe sucks air.
So it backfires sometimes when downshifting or letting off of a hard gas. Annoying. I need new springs bad too.

I need good fair priced powdercoating. and advice on aluminum polishing.

KTM bling parts like res. covers, case covers, bolt kits, billet parts, ect..

I also need a gripper seat cover, and any and all parts that would be necessary to turn this bike into the new supermoto stunter hotsauce!

I need to figure out how to post larger pics so that I can keep this thing updated throughout the build too. I will try to be vigilant about that for ya'll. And you too Kaiks! LOL!
Post up if you have any help or input for me during this build everybody.

And Mr. Moore, I'm ready to spend some money.... be looking for my call! LOL!!

Goodluckmonkey 07-02-2007 05:19 PM

Re: MY new project KTM400 SM stunter build up

The vibration at speed is because the wheels have rim-locks in them.

The best thing with the EXC is that the LC4 supermoto wheels will go straight in, and are cheaper second hand than buying new wheels. Even though the sprocket is on the wrong side, with the rear wheel turned round, they're perfect.

Ace bikes, the 400's. :apimp

jstuntlocke 07-02-2007 10:54 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Thanks for the info M8...:cheers Now where do you think would be my best bet to find those things?? Watch ebay like a hawk?

Here are some more pics...I need to find a thread about posting bigger pics up. I'm such a dork.:LOL

This is the bike right when I got it...
[ATTACH]196332[/ATTACH]

This is the bike this today with me making it look small! yea right!! I'm 6 feet tall too! I can't wait to motard this bitch.

[ATTACH]196335[/ATTACH]

Sorry about size again, I think if you click on them, you can see them bigger.....

That's it for now, I need some places to shop for parts and stuff now...

........any ideas people??

letsride 07-03-2007 12:06 AM

New rims and tires, brakes too

jstuntlocke 07-03-2007 12:34 AM

[quote=letsride;2830666]New rims and tires, brakes too[/quote]

OK, come on man, I'm not an idiot. Just wanting ideas on places to source parts, and shop prices....I can only look around ebay for so long. There has to be places to find this shit new and not have to sell a kidney.

rims and tires he said......

Yea, brakes eventually too, mainly wanting the cush drive and motardness right now.

brembos are actually suprisingly good. Hydraulic rear makes aquiring a Hand brake for it easy. I'll do the same thing I did on my big bikes. Can't make the clutch softer since it is hydraulic also from what I know.

Anyone know of a high pressure master cyl. or something to accomplish the same thing that a MSR raptor mod would do on a cable style pull, with a fluid system??

Peeweesp 07-06-2007 04:06 PM

[url]www.supermotojunkie.com[/url]

also [url]www.ktmtalk.com[/url] if you join ktmtalk and use there shop online tab you will get a 15% discount on all the parts you buy from ktmtalk. If you give a donation i think you get even more off but im not sure, 15% makes a big diffrence on that stuff though.

Suicidl 07-06-2007 04:16 PM

[url]www.eastcoastwheels.com[/url]

these wheels are sick
[url]http://store.eastcoastwheels.com/alpinawheels.html[/url]

Peeweesp 07-07-2007 02:37 AM

yeah and only 1700$ lol they are super nice though, black and orange would look great on my ktm

jstuntlocke 07-07-2007 01:12 PM

Thanks alot guys, I may have found a stock 17" front tire and wheel combo minus the rotor off an 05 KTM 525sm all for about $100.00...the dude said that he switched to a 16.5 when he got it new and has just had it sitting around..I think it will work?

I also have another friend who just called me with some metzler street tires for my 18" rims...low profile radials with reinforced sidewalls?? Both are brand new, never been mounted for $140.oo I think I'll take a look, but probably go with the $100.oo front wheel and get a rear set up off of one of those sites..

And KTMtalk.com won't recognize my e-mail.:shruggs can't sign up?

Don't have any progress pics yet, but if I take this too the lot this weekend I'll bring the diggie for some stunting pics!! Keeep gettin lost on back roads every evening on this thing....fun to hit the minimum maintenance roads and watch the deer feeding in the soybean feilds at sunset....seen some pretty nice velvet bucks....

I need the wheels and tires soon though before I get lost all summer in the dirt!!

The title for the streets is going to be sweeeeet!! I also wonder if I will have my license still if I do get out of the dirt by the end of summer!!!! LOL

jstuntlocke 07-07-2007 01:15 PM

[quote=suicidl;2834753][URL="http://www.eastcoastwheels.com"]www.eastcoastwheels.com[/URL]

these wheels are sick
[URL]http://store.eastcoastwheels.com/alpinawheels.html[/URL][/quote]

Those would definately be the hotness with my rattle can theme....sick wheels agreed! I want I want I want I want I want I want I want

jstuntlocke 07-08-2007 12:47 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Ok, now that I figured out how to make them big, let me figure out how to make them smaller!! sorry..[ATTACH]313309[/ATTACH] Anyways, what do you guys think of this... an 18 inch motard tire for a dirtbike rim...a Metzler at that, I just got two of them tonight, for the rear, having a 17 inch up front, and this 18" on the back will cheapen my set up cost for now. And also make for a quicker turn in!!

kaiks 07-08-2007 05:09 AM

did my advice help any? from the PM

old man roger 07-08-2007 05:51 AM

all that typing and all those pics and not even a backgound shot of the lathe.....lol

jstuntlocke 07-08-2007 11:01 AM

[quote=kaiks;2836292]did my advice help any? from the PM[/quote]
Yea, and I sent you another about your sub-frame...did you get it?

jstuntlocke 07-08-2007 11:09 AM

[quote=old man roger;2836304]all that typing and all those pics and not even a backgound shot of the lathe.....lol[/quote]

somehow I knew you'd post in here sooner of later...LOL

Sorry,I need to get a pic of that up for you I know....I'll see if I can't get that done...it is not in the same building that I keep my bikes in we have like 6 out buildings around my house...

besides.....all that welding and no 2006 gixxer sub-cages????? LOL

lemme put some pants on and go take a couple pics, I just woke up!! 10:00 AM wow did I sleep in!!

old man roger 07-08-2007 04:01 PM

cool...

kaiks 07-09-2007 03:33 AM

[QUOTE=jstuntlocke;2836399]Yea, and I sent you another about your sub-frame...did you get it?[/QUOTE]

nah dude i dont have that PM and my box isnt full.... hahah i finally read the whole first post in this thread :LOL vigilant! for me hahahaha.... i just say get u a sprocket kit and a handbrake for now....i learned that at first custom subframes when i started was a total over kill at the time...but now i love it but back then didnt even get used soo for now get a sprocket..i have a link if u want for the place i got my 60 tooth from..and also talk to bill at fullthrottle about a motard handbrake..he is coming out with something

old man roger 07-09-2007 04:26 AM

i got the best advise for polising aluminium.......

dont do it powder coat every thing you want to be pretty....lol

polished aluminium just gets spotty and pitted unless you polish it weekly

old man roger 07-09-2007 04:28 AM

oh yea and if you just open a free photo bucket account it automaticly resizes the pics for you and when you click on the image code of the pic you want to post it automaticly copies the code for you so you just paste the code and it comes up as a picture in your post

jstuntlocke 07-09-2007 08:49 PM

thanks guys!
the photos....I did exactly what you said in order to get them on here larger finally. (Figured that one out before you told me! haha getting quicker!) I just thought I didn't resize them down enough before the photobucket download....and Rog,
I'm still waiting on someone to be here with the keys to the metal building with all the big farm equip. at the same time I am, and I will take a pic of that kick ass huge old lathe.

and Kaiks I know your love for the KTM's.... LOL! And trust me bro that subframe WILL get used. I want a place to stick my foot, and I want tabs for cheater(passengar) pegs so that I can rock stand ups, combo's, learn the scrape, ect, ect.....ALso.... your 60 tooth sprocket linky please....

as for my Hand brake, I will get a front master from a cycle salvage yard off a newer gixxer or something and flip it upside down. and then cut the threaded banjo bolt pedistal and end off another cheap front master and have it welded on where the resivoir line comes out of my original KTM rearbrake master, then just buy a braided line, run it to the gixxer master, bleed, and Bam!..........ghetto handbrake for under $100. LOL! I didn't know about that until a friend showed me, and that's what I got on the gix.

Anyone know if I need to change the 400 exc swingarm to a smr swingarm to allow for the wider motard tires?? Someone on Supermotojunkie.com piped off about that and another guy said nope, so I'm confused,

Definately don't wan't to spend the money on that after I kill these tires only to find out I needed a new swingarm too!!
Thanks, work has me swamped right now, weather clears up & I want to get some wheelie pics taken and posted in here, this thread feels funny without at least one demo shot! LOL!!

-later all