where is this sport going (really)

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2003, 12:55 AM
back in the saddle again

binder929rr is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally posted by killroy44
Everyone bitches about slow wheelies.. ok. Why not have a pace car follow a rider around and they have 2 mins or maybe 1 mile(s) to get as many tricks off/combos etc. Then for the last __ yards pull off maybe a coaster or endo or something. Incorporate that into a comp!! Everyone loves to see a bike wheelie next to a car @ high speeds.. like in still motion yet its moving at 60+ mph!

Dood, im on to something! Someone write this sh*t down!!
ya, because there are plenty of 1 mile drag strips in the US....
Old 12-30-2003, 01:03 AM
I Enjoy Posting At StuntLife!

Mikie is an unknown quantity at this point
Im mostly going for a format for X-games, they block off roads for ***-ooge boards, or however its spelled. I understand that spectators cant really watch a one mile road either.. I mean a camera in the car would be the only way to really broadcast it out to the rest of us.. anyways, just a thought.

BTW, I hear Mike Metzger (the original backflip rudeboi) its putting pegs on his CR250 and trying grinds on a half-pipe soon!! He's a perfect example of forward thinking and taking his sport to a new level!
Old 12-30-2003, 01:09 AM
back in the saddle again

binder929rr is an unknown quantity at this point
ok, we can't even get regular comps so how are we going to get them to block off roads for us! haha, x-games doesn't give a **** about us.
Old 12-30-2003, 02:42 AM

Manny is an unknown quantity at this point
I do not know about you guys But this is my Lotto.
I could smell the Millions Gentlemen.
Here I come, I got the feeling, I see it here.
Here is a pic from my Future.
I am Going to be a Star
Compliments from Outermost " The Dirty Southwestenerz"
You Snooze, You Looze !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	billkelstar2.jpg
Views:	189
Size:	38.9 KB
ID:	56162  
Old 12-30-2003, 04:57 AM
FREESTYLE ARTIST

Tony D is an unknown quantity at this point
Who is gonna step it up and try to take a shot at going big????I if I wanted to write a book about x games I would have--- I want to hear your goals what you will do yourself to better the sport
Old 12-30-2003, 11:09 AM
Gas'er!!

TEACH C6 will become famous soon enough
here's what i will do tonyd:

work harder than you and all your friends. i will master everyone elses best tricks and be better than them at their own 'signature' tricks-not to be a braggart, but to be well rounded so that i can ENTERTAIN my audience. then i will do my best to travel the country attending sanctioned and national points paying events, all while upholding my professional and business like image. i will greet the fans and the sponsors, and do my best for each of them. in between travelling around i will perform high quality shows in and around my area to bring more awareness to the region-awareness in the form of "no we are not a bunch of street punks, rather we are professional entertainers".

i will do crazy things on my motorcycle, to satisfy both my own personal expectations as well as the expectations of nonstuntriding crowds.

to top it off, and something i should have done this past season-and maybe still can do-send letters to important people asking them why they dont cover any freestyle events. magazines such as roadracing world who attended all fusa (and consequently XSBA) events this year, but never once wrote a thing about us...even when i was racing AND stuntriding (omg, who woulda thought-a stuntrider who can go fast too!!!)

and to top it off, i will RIDE. cuz that is all we do is ride, it's all we want to do!

how is that my friend?

Your Teacher
Old 12-30-2003, 11:13 AM
Gas'er!!

oh, i forgot the original question...where will we be in 1year:

we will be doing the same thing we are doing now and have been doing...but on a larger and larger scale. no one knows where this sport will ultimately end up, but one thing is for sure-it is growing. the video market is waaay oversaturated, but the general motorcycle and population in general have not been. i've been saying it for a long time, we MUST come across as professionals and GET ORGANIZED. until we do, we ARE just a bunch of punks doing wheelies on the highway and breaking the laws. so the sport will continue to grow in the next year or so, but what we do and how we carry/present ourselves in that time period will determine whether the sport goes big or stays right where it is now...the moment when this will be determined imho is coming soon-maybe this summer!

my one penny of babbling,

Mr. McNeil
Old 12-30-2003, 11:29 AM

Boughetto is an unknown quantity at this point
Being more of a fan, than a rider, here are my thoughts. Like Jimmy said, sit down in the stands at some events. I know what they are all called, but most people have no idea what is going on. You guys are going to have to do EVERYTHING you can to entertain the crowd. Many friends of mine have been to shows, and they get bored watching.

Bottom line is, unless some major changes happen qucikly, I do not see this going too big. I would love to see it, bc that $ for everyone, but I just dont see it.
Old 12-30-2003, 12:11 PM

NoNameStunter is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally posted by Tony D
I see a lot of good points here but one thing I definatly DISagree with is the topic of impressing the crowd. Fans of the sport will brand themselves to individual riders, technical tricks are a must-- for instance nascar is like watching old people ****- but it draws a crowd.. I am not going to act like a clown or stick a flare up my *** to make it entertaining for people to watch. I take my performance seriously and I wont let that be compromised for the sake of developing a fan base that dosent know what they are watching...
I am with you all the way on this one. Their is a stunt team that tried to make their stunt shows entertaining by wearing gorilla suits, riding their 50's and 125's more than their real bikes, and giving the crowd nerf footballs to throw at them why they were stunting. That kinda **** is ridiculous and pisses me off because it promotes stunt riding as a circus act not a legit sport. Like you said tony, if you are riding for a crowd you need to take it seriously. If the tricks aren't enough for the crowd, then they aren't enough for the crowd, no need to try and put on a circus act, save that **** for the wringling brothers.
I will spare this team the embarrassment because they have accomplished enough of that on their own.
Old 12-30-2003, 12:13 PM

sdudgeonr6 is an unknown quantity at this point
i didnt know this was going anywhere...
Old 12-30-2003, 01:34 PM
Regular StuntLifer

WILLIS69 is an unknown quantity at this point
I think the sport will only get better in the years to come. I have only one point to get across. Any of you guys ever watch golf on tv? I know golf and riding a bike have nothing to do with each other, but golf is a sport that is televised. Golf has to be one of the most boring sport out to watch on tv. People still watch it though. Our sport is way more exciting than watching some guy hit a ball in a hole and make millions doing it. It has to get better.

Just think back to when drag racing first came out. People used to race on the streets. Over time it became a huge sport. Time will only tell. It will take time and huge dedication of a select few people. There is always a person in every sport that attract people. People who make a sport so much more fun to watch because of the way they get down. Like MJ with backetball, 2pac with rap. dedication is key. Keep doing what makes you happy and maybe some day you you can be the tigger woods of xsport biking.
Old 12-30-2003, 05:12 PM
Turn My Headphones Up

Mark_MPZ is an unknown quantity at this point
I'm gonna ride my bike, .....and a year from now I'll be........well.........ridin' my bike..........not sure about anything else.
...the drama out there is killin' my fun.
Old 12-30-2003, 05:14 PM

nags User spends way too much time asking for repnags User spends way too much time asking for repnags User spends way too much time asking for repnags User spends way too much time asking for repnags User spends way too much time asking for repnags User spends way too much time asking for repnags User spends way too much time asking for repnags User spends way too much time asking for repnags User spends way too much time asking for repnags User spends way too much time asking for repnags User spends way too much time asking for rep
Originally posted by Mark_MPZ
I'm gonna ride my bike, .....and a year from now I'll be........well.........ridin' my bike..........not sure about anything else.
dont let it..just go out and ride your bike and have fun...

anytime it starts to not be fun.. I just think of it like I'm out riding the 50's and having a good time.. except I'm on a big bike
Old 12-30-2003, 06:48 PM
Gas'er!!

Originally posted by Mark_MPZ
true, true,...very true!! but your problem is lack of machinery...

you need ALL of the following to forget about the gayness:

a fiddy-for street, mx, and ice!
a big dirtbike!
a stunt bike all setup, and
a streetbike to ride the roads with...

then you need to start racing, whether it is against the clock on your fiddy or motarding the dirtbike...racing makes this fun, but to do that you gotta have someone who is comparable to your skill level in all aspects.

you are correct though in your original 12 words!!

Peaches and Cream
Old 12-30-2003, 07:05 PM

underzen is an unknown quantity at this point
Some points to consider as well.

Skateboarding, bmx, even snowboarding are relatively inexpensive to get into. Same with football, baseball, basketball, you just buy the ball and start practicing for a few bucks. A sportbike is alot of money, even your stunter special track bikes are still going for over a grand. Tell your mom that for christmas you want a stunt a bike, **** aint happening when your a kid. Then when you break something on it that can add up too.

FMX is expensive to get into as well. But the thing that FMX has going for them and why it works so well is because what they do is "DEATH DEFYING". Don't tell me that a crowd watches a guy doing a 2mph no handed slow wheelie is making them gasp. When a FMX guy hits the ramp and lauches 50+ feet in the air and there is a chance of a seriously bad landing that he could get hurt or killed, hence the "gasp" factor, not to mention the rider is busting sick combo's in the air.

There are skate parks everwhere now-a-days so even if you want to hit the half pipe it isn't as expensive as it was when I was a kid back in the day when we had to build our own.

Get the "gasp" factor on your side, you get the crowd.

CBO said it best. Its the fun factor who gives a flying a **** where its going as long as you have fun. The mainstream came to skateboarding, fmx, ect, they didn't go looking for it. Stop trying so hard to be noticed (show off/ego/starved for attention), be yourself and have fun and eventually your rewards will come in.

Who cares if your called a "extreme sport" or not, face the facts that right now its a hobby that allows you to be creative and share good times with friends. The sport term will come with time and maybe the xgames will too but honestly there is nothing extreme about a slow wheelie, now rocking gorka style stoppies is extreme, 100mph wheelies (even though not technically that skilled) would be considered extreme to mass's.

I think probably the most extreme new sport around is the "import" drag racing and import car scene. You ever see them little ****ers block of a strip of road behind some wharehouses and drag race. Some of these kids are 16 year old punks who are all drunk/high/ect. while drag racing. The recent races I have been to on the streets is ****ing sick. They have no fear racing 10second civics with no suspension, we saw 2 crash the other nite. one of the sickest things I have seen in a while.

Last edited by underzen; 12-30-2003 at 07:11 PM.
Old 12-30-2003, 07:30 PM
Felony Freestyle

Skinbabe is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally posted by underzen
Get the "gasp" factor on your side, you get the crowd.

CBO said it best. Its the fun factor who gives a flying a **** where its going as long as you have fun.
Agree
Old 01-01-2004, 01:10 PM

kolormecarbon is an unknown quantity at this point
Good thread, I've actually got off my *** and registered rather than just reading and doing my own thing.
Apathy and greed are the things that will stop this sport going anywhere, invovement and progression will take it places.
I was there when skateboarding started, snowboarding and freestyle MX too - they all take the same path. We need riders with personality to get the public interested - even something as dumb as WWF got big because it had characters that the camera loved!
I think the Stunt Scene will die down before it grows to X-game level, greedy bastards on the bandwagon will do that, like they did to skating, when they clear out in a few years, we'll have new-scool stunt movement in 2005.
There are'nt enough tricks yet either, we need a Hawk/ Pastrana/Terje character to show us some new direction of tricks - thats when the comps will get interesting.
That's my load of Crystal ***** for now - we've got a way to go yet!
Old 01-01-2004, 02:08 PM
Guru

Joe Brown is an unknown quantity at this point
lol

bro your a fukin looser i hope you overdose
Old 01-01-2004, 02:32 PM
Regular StuntLifer

JPFREESTYLE is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile

Originally posted by TEACH C6
here's what i will do tonyd:

work harder than you and all your friends. i will master everyone elses best tricks and be better than them at their own 'signature' tricks-not to be a braggart, but to be well rounded so that i can ENTERTAIN my audience. then i will do my best to travel the country attending sanctioned and national points paying events, all while upholding my professional and business like image. i will greet the fans and the sponsors, and do my best for each of them. in between travelling around i will perform high quality shows in and around my area to bring more awareness to the region-awareness in the form of "no we are not a bunch of street punks, rather we are professional entertainers".

i will do crazy things on my motorcycle, to satisfy both my own personal expectations as well as the expectations of nonstuntriding crowds.

to top it off, and something i should have done this past season-and maybe still can do-send letters to important people asking them why they dont cover any freestyle events. magazines such as roadracing world who attended all fusa (and consequently XSBA) events this year, but never once wrote a thing about us...even when i was racing AND stuntriding (omg, who woulda thought-a stuntrider who can go fast too!!!)

and to top it off, i will RIDE. cuz that is all we do is ride, it's all we want to do!

how is that my friend?

Your Teacher

Nicely said Teach this is the kind of mentality and commitment that all stunters out there need.

Quick Reply: where is this sport going (really)