where is this sport going (really)

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2003, 10:42 AM

Pepe is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: where is this sport going (really)

Originally posted by Tony D
So with all this and that going on--- Pro vs Amature --Street vs track -- this guy promises one thing you end up with something else.. fake *** scaming sponsors -- people jumping the bandwagon--- groupies---hasbeens----- Where do you think you will be in 1 years time... what are some things that you will do yourself that is realistic that will be positive for our sport.. lets hear it. No B/S either
All and all I think this sport has the potential to be something awesome. We've all had our fare share of bullshit sponsors, empty promises and wannabe riders, but this is my take on it all and take it how you want to?

I don't know what level I'm at or even if I am at a level yet, But in the next year I would like to be considered pro material. As stupid as that may sound, it's a goal I've given my self. I think this sport will keep getting bigger, for us not just "the Man", if we keep goals in mind. Someone said why do circles, why do 1000 ft endos, why do coasters, why....because even though a crowd may not understand the difficulty of these tricks they will hear someone sitting next to them saying "dude do you have any idea how hard that is" and start to get the picture. They get educated.

I'm not on any band waggon, I'm simply here to try to help this sport as much as one white kid from Minnesota can. We are trying to get some amature comps going in the area but it is so damn hard. Local events want new **** for there shows but don't want something so" dangerous" Well WTF do you want then? I've had so many doors slammed in my face but I/m not going to stop. This is something I want to happen in my area.
When I hear people say that they don't think anything is going to happen in this sport or they might as well hang it up, good do it, that's one more whiner I don't have to compete against to get what could be mine. Anything is possible.
I may not have every stunt on lock, but I have Ideas and they are happening on my bike. I set goals to do all the stunts/tricks that everyone can do becuase I think that's what a crowd wants to see someone who can do it all.
What I think is going to happen is that you will whined up with 3 events.(1)Individ. Freestyle (2)Team freestyle(3)Burnout Freestyle. These 3 present the most entertainment for the crowd. Endos are cool so are coasters but they are not constant in your face action and that's what crowds like.
And in my mind that's what I do this for, whether the crowd is at a show or it's my friends just comin' out to watch at our local spot!

Sorry this is so long but this has actually been on my mind for a long time I just didn't know if the subject had been beaten to death, I guess it has been now!?!?!
Old 12-28-2003, 11:25 AM
Is building another f4i

skillz is just really niceskillz is just really niceskillz is just really niceskillz is just really niceskillz is just really nice
when this sport is going somewhere is now ,its just moving forward so slowly that its hard to tell and all the people who are in it for the love of it will be there to get their rewards and I'm talking more than finacial.
Old 12-28-2003, 12:46 PM
I Enjoy Posting At StuntLife!

Dirty B is an unknown quantity at this point
This sport definately has the potential to be huge. Trust me. I have had the opportunity to sit down with some very important people in the action sports industry and they all see the possibility. It just needs to be organized.

There are a lot of riders that say they don't care if this sport makes it, they just love to ride. That's fine, but wouldn't you like it if you could just ride for a living and get paid for it? Wouldn't that be a little more fun than just riding at the spot?

I'm doing my best to help this sport make it. It's not an easy task though. The X-Games might happen sooner than some of you think. Don't give up hope yet. But before the sport is introduced to the X-Games, there has to be a qualifying format. The athletes aren't handpicked, they are chosen based on their performances at other competitions. If you want to be there when the sport goes big, make sure you're a competing rider, not just a practice spot hero.

The topic on riders being more concerned with impressing other riders rather than the fans is very true. Our competition format for 2004 is going to be a little different from our last event. We are going to change the comps around and add more crowd pleasing events. Competitions must also entertain if they are going to suceed. If the crowd doesn't think what the rider is doing is impressive, then it shouldn't be there. Just because it may be the hardest trick in the book, if it doesn't impress the crowd, it won't help our sport grow. The crowd must be entertained or they will not return.
Old 12-28-2003, 01:37 PM
Group Moderator

BTBent is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally posted by adamgeek
The "sport" is going in a lot of directions. Right now, the market is VERY oversaturated with videos made by any idiot with a camcorder, a dvd burner, and a sportbike.

There is little to no fanbase that purhcases stunt related products, but that is slowly changing.. as we see more and more people hopping on the cage bandwagon and making their own cages.. and a few manufacturers starting to market jackets and gloves to stuntriders.

I think looking at europe makes a lot of sense too, since europe is several years ahead of us in the stunt game, in many respects.

In the next year, the sport will attract more people, who will buy more stunt related products. You will see a larger variety of cages and 12 bars and other specialized products on the market, and maybe a slight amount more of mass marketing from companies like alpinestars.. but right now stuntriding still makes up maybe 0.5% of the sportbike market.. probably not even that though.

Videos and exhibitions are what i would say are the majority of stunt related dollars being changed hands right now. Like i've said on here several times before, the videos will go the way of tradition action sports media.. meaning not one person/group putting out a video, but a professional video backed by sponsorship. For example, in the skate world, there is no [insert some skater] video.. there is the BirdHouse video.. which features [that skater] and many other people affilliated with that company. As far as exhibitions, look at europe.. it can be successfully done, but you have to do entertaining stuff.

As i see it, the main problem with exhibitions and making stuntriding appeal to a non-technically educated audience is that 95% of the "stuntriders" out there lack any vision or foresight about where they are going, or why they do what they do.. aside from "wanting to be the best" or wanting to make a lot of money. Why is everyone doing circles right now? Seriously.. why? Yea, they are hard. And they look cool when you know how hard they are.. but that's about it. I know too many "good riders" who are trying to jump on the circle bandwagon right now, and they don't appeal to anyone but other cheapass stuntriders who aren't going to pay a dime to see you do them. People need to think about where they are headed and why. If you want to do exhibitions, start thinking about what potential people coming to exhibitions want to see.. and i promise you it is not who can do the slowest wheelie, or who can do 1000000 circles without putting their feet down. I know this, because i personally think circles are cool.. but when i look at all the guys doing circles, and then i look at the few riders who don't just entertain me, but blow-my-frickin-mind.. those riders aren't out there everyday practicing doing circles. i'm not dissing circles or people who do them, i know they are hard as hell, and i think they are cool, but i am saying that they aren't going to be a good tool to make stuntriding-fans out of people.

What do i do for our sport? In the scheme of things.. i'm a drop in the bucket. I'm a guy with some expensive cameras and a few ideas. In the next year, we (myself and my teammate) will shoot probably another 150hours of footage across the US. We'll continute to sell a grip of "will wheelie for *****" t-shirts, which may or may not help people trade wheelies for seeing ***** (i think ***** are a positive thing). I would like to think that our next video will put the stunt world on it's ***. I've learned a lot from our first venture into the (stunt) video market.. i know about 10x now than what i did a year ago.. and if the same holds true in another year then i forsee big things. One thing that annoys me about the stunt world, is i see a lot of people spouting BS hype about how great some **** will be, and they are always saying crap like this, but i have yet to see much impressive from them; i don't want to be one of those people. So i would rather say nothing, and let my actions and accomplishments speak for me. Those here who really know me know what i'm about, and know that i realize (just like my teammate/businesspartner does) that i am not some idolic rockstar.. i'm just a guy with some ideas about how to shoot compelling video, and make cheezy t-shirts..

sorry to ramble.
Cliff notes on this one please!!!!
Old 12-28-2003, 02:29 PM

jbad is an unknown quantity at this point
RUDY FROM EAST COAST X

whats up!
yo man, you couldnt have said it any better

I ride for me!
thats my .02 cents
Old 12-28-2003, 02:37 PM
cal
I Chose to No Longer Post

cal is a decent person
Originally posted by sillyg
Sport? I don't know if i would really call this a sport. My opinion i really dont think it will ever take off big maybe for a select few to do shows like side show freaks at a dragstrip. But as far as making millions like motocross, fmx, skateboarding and bmx or making it to the x games I don't think so. and for everyone reading this I am a die hard rider i have been on motorcycles since i was 4. I am not bashing anyone nor do I intend to offend anybody, but I think it has become as big as it is gonna get. I think it has actually got boring to watch. I hope for the die hards out there it does take off but to me it just seems like a pass time.

IDK about that, thats what alot of people said about paintball but its taking off too. I think this sports going somewhere, I really do as long as people stay genuine and dont get huge egos about it I think theres a lot in store for stunting as long as there are masses willing to watch
Old 12-28-2003, 04:43 PM
FREESTYLE ARTIST

Tony D is an unknown quantity at this point
I see a lot of good points here but one thing I definatly DISagree with is the topic of impressing the crowd. Fans of the sport will brand themselves to individual riders, technical tricks are a must-- for instance nascar is like watching old people ****- but it draws a crowd.. I am not going to act like a clown or stick a flare up my *** to make it entertaining for people to watch. I take my performance seriously and I wont let that be compromised for the sake of developing a fan base that dosent know what they are watching...
Old 12-28-2003, 05:59 PM

Pepe is an unknown quantity at this point
Lightbulb

I see a lot of good points here but one thing I definatly DISagree with is the topic of impressing the crowd. Fans of the sport will brand themselves to individual riders, technical tricks are a must-- for instance nascar is like watching old people ****- but it draws a crowd.. I am not going to act like a clown or stick a flare up my *** to make it entertaining for people to watch. I take my performance seriously and I wont let that be compromised for the sake of developing a fan base that dosent know what they are watching...
I don't think anyone is saying that you need to kiss the crowd's ***. i think what is trying to be said is that if we keep it entertaining, however you want to take that, that's what will make people want to watch you/me/anyone perform.
I also think that with time will come an understanding of what we do and the level of difficulty. We all at some point thought a standup wheelie was the craziest thing we 've seen and now it's circle wheelies and what's next?.....We all evolved and so will our crowds.
I still think that we as a whole need to keep in mind what catagories should be set up. Longest endos,coasters,longest no handed wheelie,most circles--- all of these are cool stunts but they make for a boring time to watch one at a time. Put all of these things together with a complete routine and now you've got something that a spectator will want to pay to come and see.
I look at the total freestyle (indiv or team) as editing a video. You get to see all the coolest things someone can do without waiting for the inbetween stuff to happen.
I hope you understand what I mean.

Old 12-28-2003, 06:19 PM
I Enjoy Posting At StuntLife!

Dirty B is an unknown quantity at this point
Bro, you seriously don't think that impressing the crowd is important? Maybe impress isn't the right word, I should have used ENTERTAIN. No matter what we do, if it's not entertaining, there won't be any spectators. Bottom line. I too think Nascar is boring, but that doesn't matter because there are a ton of people out there that think it's great.
I think that you are already an entertaining rider to watch so I think that you must have misunderstood me if you think that I want you to stick a flare up your ***.
Old 12-28-2003, 06:20 PM

Swedie is an unknown quantity at this point
[personal views below]
A flare up your *** would surely entertain the gay side. err. But yeah. And if you are referring to my post then I must defend and say that I did not mean of you to act like a clown just to please the crowd. What I ment was that many tricks that some 'stunters' do today, is just not that exciting to watch. And with you saying Nascar is boring, hell yeah it is, but I think the reason the nascar crowd come to watch it is because of big muscle cars screaming pass you hitting you with 120db sound waves, err... a bike in any angle fuzzing by you like a wind in your ear don't really entertain you. Tony D, you ever been in an audience looking down at other stunters performing? I've been both in the spot light and watching, and I know it's hard to please a crowd. You gotta have the right aura around you for the crowd to pay some attention to you. If you just zoom by and nothing but a simple wheelie people will just turn to their drink rather than clapping hands. i'm rambling, I am trying to find the punch line, but I'm not.. so ... I'm giving up. Gonna go out throw a snowball or something, cuz it sure is snowing outside.
Old 12-28-2003, 06:53 PM
GOODBYE STUNTLIFE

Droptop can only hope to improve
Originally posted by sclevela
but will u put one on yer windscreen?
What's a WindScreen??????????????
Old 12-28-2003, 07:03 PM

RichieDubs is an unknown quantity at this point
for instance nascar is like watching old people ****- but it draws a crowd
it draws rednecks. but yea i see your point.
Old 12-28-2003, 07:36 PM

squirrel is an unknown quantity at this point
i think for the sport to advance the shows need to be looked at differently. the monster truck shows we do with clear channel are 2 1/2 hours long. it is hard to keep anyones attention past that.
dead time,,,, there have been shows that i was at where there was alot of dead time. i havn't promoted a stunt show but i think there should be a way to make it more entertaining for the spectators. always have something goin on, have a 15 minute intermission to make the venders happy, have a good announcer(kyle woods did a kickass job at pyschofest).
the shows that we do where guys are doin stunts, the fans love it. the key is to make it entertaining for the fans.
just my 2 cents
Old 12-28-2003, 08:38 PM

jay_9se7en3 is an unknown quantity at this point
its hard to say man. I have been riding/stunting now for 3 years (even though i suck), back in 1999-2000 there was no one getting sponsorships with brand new shiney bikes and gear. Sometimes i ask myself why I do it. Why do i practice alone in the middle of the winter, i am probably never going to get sponsored. I am never gonna see any money from it.

whats in it for sponsors? If you are a name like starboyz, yeah maybe the dealership that sponsored their shiney new bikes will get more business. These "patrons" so to speak will take it to the next level. Where is the medium though, like how are these guys going to put the sponsors names out there where everyone good see them?

1) There is going to be more stunt shows. Psychofest, Reality Racing, Wheelie Contests, etc. These are where the general riding public actually experiences what stunting a sportbike is first hand. There is money to be made here too for the person or corporation sponsoring the events.

2) Groups sponsored by dealerships...and by dealerships i mean legit dealerships, factory licensed large dealers (not small little performance shops, even though if they sponsor they will grow)...will compete in these events, quite possibly even flown with there bikes air freighted to the location.

3) Large scale dealerships are going to carry more stunt parts and components; cages, bars, MX handlebar converters, streetfighter fairing stuff, possibly offering services for cutting down exhaust pipes and installation of the aforementioned products.

4) As for money, once the dealerships start seeing a profit resulting from the sale of stunt related products THEN will you maybe see a pay out to the sponsored riding groups. This will all come from recogition of the sponsored groups talent.

Thats the way i see things panning out. As for me, i am gonna keep riding and doing my thing because it makes ME feel good about killing a new trick. If i get sponsored, i get sponsored, if not oh well, i'll still keep thinking i am a pimp for doing what i do.
Old 12-28-2003, 09:11 PM
www.purebredriders.com

DIGIDY PBR is an unknown quantity at this point
itll happen for the people that dont sell it out

our **** is just as fun to watch as any other extreem sport

its not going to be like basket ball or baseball

but we will have our own crowd just like fmx

the x games will be sooner than you think

and the world is all about how you sell yourself

people like rudy is the reason this sport is going to make it

people that believe in us as much as we believe in ourselves
Old 12-28-2003, 09:54 PM
P. O. S. E. R.

Scott_LegionST is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally posted by sclevela
but will u put one on yer windscreen?
dammit scott u beat me to it. lol

Quick Reply: where is this sport going (really)