where is this sport going (really)

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2003, 12:19 AM
FREESTYLE ARTIST

Tony D is an unknown quantity at this point
where is this sport going (really)

So with all this and that going on--- Pro vs Amature --Street vs track -- this guy promises one thing you end up with something else.. fake *** scaming sponsors -- people jumping the bandwagon--- groupies---hasbeens----- Where do you think you will be in 1 years time... what are some things that you will do yourself that is realistic that will be positive for our sport.. lets hear it. No B/S either
Old 12-28-2003, 12:43 AM
Hater proof

CrazyJ is a decent person
tony honestly hell with this sport i do it because i love it ! havent competed since day 1 , and iwont until its worth the time other than that i have goals on what i want to do as far as riding and until i reach them hell with everything else ,in one year i see it being the same way it is now if not worse thank all the wanna be ******** that make this sport stay the same way,there are to many **** talkers ,and to many people who run their mouth and try to make them look like something their not !

o well just my 2 cents ..what do i know im just some kid from chicago!

Last edited by CrazyJ; 12-28-2003 at 12:47 AM.
Old 12-28-2003, 12:52 AM

sillyg is an unknown quantity at this point
Sport? I don't know if i would really call this a sport. My opinion i really dont think it will ever take off big maybe for a select few to do shows like side show freaks at a dragstrip. But as far as making millions like motocross, fmx, skateboarding and bmx or making it to the x games I don't think so. and for everyone reading this I am a die hard rider i have been on motorcycles since i was 4. I am not bashing anyone nor do I intend to offend anybody, but I think it has become as big as it is gonna get. I think it has actually got boring to watch. I hope for the die hards out there it does take off but to me it just seems like a pass time.
Old 12-28-2003, 12:59 AM

SmurfKilla is an unknown quantity at this point
One year from now I will be on the same back road...still practicing..having some fun with a couple of friends...
Thats what I enjoy...Its a hobby at best for me...a getaway from the real world...
It would be nice to see it keep growing and I think it has a good chance...Some of you guys down south are amazing to watch and I have no doubt there is a future for some of you in stunting..
Cheers
SK
Old 12-28-2003, 12:59 AM

Wheelie Boy is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally posted by sillyg
Sport? I don't know if i would really call this a sport. My opinion i really dont think it will ever take off big maybe for a select few to do shows like side show freaks at a dragstrip. But as far as making millions like motocross, fmx, skateboarding and bmx or making it to the x games I don't think so. and for everyone reading this I am a die hard rider i have been on motorcycles since i was 4. I am not bashing anyone nor do I intend to offend anybody, but I think it has become as big as it is gonna get. I think it has actually got boring to watch. I hope for the die hards out there it does take off but to me it just seems like a pass time.

I'd have to agree, but, if it did every get into something like x games, odds are it would be short lived
Old 12-28-2003, 01:20 AM
Look out for big trucks!!

Rudy-eastcoastX is an unknown quantity at this point
What's up Ant? I pretty much consider myself a has been now, I have too much responsibility at home to be driving all over the country anymore. I went from entering comps as a pro, to being stuck in the "up and coming" section here at stunt life. I don't care I still go out every weekend and ride but my heart isn't where it used to be. The sport never really took off like I thought it would, but I give props to guys like you and Ronnie who are sticking with it and still trying to make something of the sport. I really hope it blows up and you guys are there to ride it out (you put alot of work in) I may not be there competing against you but I'll be there to watch you- even if it's on tv. Keep doing what you're doing and guys like you will make it happen.

Last edited by Rudy-eastcoastX; 12-28-2003 at 01:31 AM.
Old 12-28-2003, 02:02 AM

adamgeek is an unknown quantity at this point
The "sport" is going in a lot of directions. Right now, the market is VERY oversaturated with videos made by any idiot with a camcorder, a dvd burner, and a sportbike.

There is little to no fanbase that purhcases stunt related products, but that is slowly changing.. as we see more and more people hopping on the cage bandwagon and making their own cages.. and a few manufacturers starting to market jackets and gloves to stuntriders.

I think looking at europe makes a lot of sense too, since europe is several years ahead of us in the stunt game, in many respects.

In the next year, the sport will attract more people, who will buy more stunt related products. You will see a larger variety of cages and 12 bars and other specialized products on the market, and maybe a slight amount more of mass marketing from companies like alpinestars.. but right now stuntriding still makes up maybe 0.5% of the sportbike market.. probably not even that though.

Videos and exhibitions are what i would say are the majority of stunt related dollars being changed hands right now. Like i've said on here several times before, the videos will go the way of tradition action sports media.. meaning not one person/group putting out a video, but a professional video backed by sponsorship. For example, in the skate world, there is no [insert some skater] video.. there is the BirdHouse video.. which features [that skater] and many other people affilliated with that company. As far as exhibitions, look at europe.. it can be successfully done, but you have to do entertaining stuff.

As i see it, the main problem with exhibitions and making stuntriding appeal to a non-technically educated audience is that 95% of the "stuntriders" out there lack any vision or foresight about where they are going, or why they do what they do.. aside from "wanting to be the best" or wanting to make a lot of money. Why is everyone doing circles right now? Seriously.. why? Yea, they are hard. And they look cool when you know how hard they are.. but that's about it. I know too many "good riders" who are trying to jump on the circle bandwagon right now, and they don't appeal to anyone but other cheapass stuntriders who aren't going to pay a dime to see you do them. People need to think about where they are headed and why. If you want to do exhibitions, start thinking about what potential people coming to exhibitions want to see.. and i promise you it is not who can do the slowest wheelie, or who can do 1000000 circles without putting their feet down. I know this, because i personally think circles are cool.. but when i look at all the guys doing circles, and then i look at the few riders who don't just entertain me, but blow-my-frickin-mind.. those riders aren't out there everyday practicing doing circles. i'm not dissing circles or people who do them, i know they are hard as hell, and i think they are cool, but i am saying that they aren't going to be a good tool to make stuntriding-fans out of people.

What do i do for our sport? In the scheme of things.. i'm a drop in the bucket. I'm a guy with some expensive cameras and a few ideas. In the next year, we (myself and my teammate) will shoot probably another 150hours of footage across the US. We'll continute to sell a grip of "will wheelie for *****" t-shirts, which may or may not help people trade wheelies for seeing ***** (i think ***** are a positive thing). I would like to think that our next video will put the stunt world on it's ***. I've learned a lot from our first venture into the (stunt) video market.. i know about 10x now than what i did a year ago.. and if the same holds true in another year then i forsee big things. One thing that annoys me about the stunt world, is i see a lot of people spouting BS hype about how great some **** will be, and they are always saying crap like this, but i have yet to see much impressive from them; i don't want to be one of those people. So i would rather say nothing, and let my actions and accomplishments speak for me. Those here who really know me know what i'm about, and know that i realize (just like my teammate/businesspartner does) that i am not some idolic rockstar.. i'm just a guy with some ideas about how to shoot compelling video, and make cheezy t-shirts..

sorry to ramble.

Last edited by adamgeek; 12-28-2003 at 02:08 AM.
Old 12-28-2003, 02:47 AM
FREESTYLE ARTIST

Tony D is an unknown quantity at this point
wow--- wheelie for *****-- now ive heard it all,dude you cant be serious----yo whats up rudy-Its nice to know that you guys are supporting us
Old 12-28-2003, 02:48 AM

DSOG Thomas will become famous soon enough
We locking **** down locally

on and off the streets

holla
Old 12-28-2003, 03:04 AM
www.Redline-Xtreme.com

RedlineJimmy is an unknown quantity at this point
Honestly...probably no where.

Most riders out there are concentrating on impressing their friends instead of the crowd. As that trend continues we will gain less-and-less fan base. When that happens promoters will lose their money and call it quits. You may have a handful of riders that can afford to work part time and travel to do shows, however I doubt the pay will be enough to cover their monthly bills. It may be fun and all, but if you are not able to pay your mortgage, bills, etc then how long will it take before those riders eventually call it quits as well.

As for myself, I will continue to ride and wakeboard as long as my body can physically take it. I do it for the enjoyment and never plan on becoming wealthy off either one.

Here' a question: Has anybody heard anything more about the promises made during the Lone Star Biker Bash? Or was that just another promoters dreams of becoming rich off this sport gone into the gutter? If it happens great, however we have all heard these promises before and look where we are standing.

I don't believe this sport will ever die, yet nor do I believe this sport will ever become as successful here in the US as it is in Europe. Too many stubborn riders out there trying to prove they are the best instead of concentrating on making the paying spectators happy.

Simple Equation: No Fan Base= No Progression

If you don't ride for three months it helps one see things in a more realistic prospective.
Old 12-28-2003, 03:16 AM

andrew gobeille is an unknown quantity at this point
i actually think this sport IS going some where. Who these days goes to their dealer and buys a gixer 1000 to go and drag knee in the mountains. anybody who has a sportbike is trying to do wheelies. And in terms of the X-games, if those dudes with snowboards who jump out of planes can get in to the X-games i dont see why this "sport" wont.
Old 12-28-2003, 03:25 AM

nags User spends way too much time asking for repnags User spends way too much time asking for repnags User spends way too much time asking for repnags User spends way too much time asking for repnags User spends way too much time asking for repnags User spends way too much time asking for repnags User spends way too much time asking for repnags User spends way too much time asking for repnags User spends way too much time asking for repnags User spends way too much time asking for repnags User spends way too much time asking for rep
Originally posted by andrew gobeille
in terms of the X-games, if those dudes with snowboards who jump out of planes can get in to the X-games i dont see why this "sport" wont.
yes, but those guys are also kinda like the black sheeps that perform on the sidelines.. kinda like flatland bmx....

Do you really want stunting to be the readheaded step child of x-games? With the excitement of slow wheelies.. thats right where its going
Old 12-28-2003, 03:53 AM

rev-rend Jack is an unknown quantity at this point
well... who is in this game because they think its going somewhere? tony i know this probably wasnt youre idea when you started it but... i dont stunt because i want to get some chick on my dick. i dont stunt because i think its the cool thing to do. i dont stunt because i think it'll get me somewhere.... I stunt (and poorly) because i love it and have fun. I dont give a **** where the"sport" is going, i do it because i love it. end of story. I know your thread was more about curiousity but i felt the thread was going a different way. If someone is in this sport to make a million dollars then i feel sorry for them. if they are in this sport because that love what they are doing then right on!! If we get rich because of it great! if not...no big deal... if i was the only person doing it i would feel the same way.. **** the "band waggon"!
Old 12-28-2003, 04:13 AM

adamgeek is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally posted by Tony D
wow--- wheelie for *****-- now ive heard it all,dude you cant be serious--
only in america.. it's true. it might be cheezy, but people think it's funny, and they keep buying them, so we'll keep making them. cheezy as the slogan is, it's a really nice feeling to be in a city for a few days and see a guy at the local track wearing our own damn shirt haha, or to have a friend email me and say they saw a guy in the grocery store wearing one of our shirts.

redline jimmy stated it correctly [imho].. riders bent on impressing their friends (or other riders) instead of trying to draw crowds.
Old 12-28-2003, 05:22 AM
1 footer wheelies!

Sillyneck is an unknown quantity at this point
I want to get a video out this next 6 months. a little different than what's already out there. and I want lots of people to buy it.

then I want to get some dirty ***** w/ my new fame and fortune....I'm talking haven't showered in a week DIRTY
Old 12-28-2003, 05:49 AM

Brian~11 is an unknown quantity at this point
If you don't care about the sport going anywhere it probably isn't.
In order to make the sport grow it's gonna take heart and a group of people other than just rider's to make it. Thing's just don't happen by chance...if it happens..It happens. It takes people who care and will work hard at their craft and make it work, research fan base, and look at promoting your own self.
I think you have to take it from town to town and start where you are. Research other sport's and find out how they started.

Something will work out...I think the ones who work hard and stay w/it will be rewarded.
Old 12-28-2003, 07:47 AM

Swedie is an unknown quantity at this point
One thing I have noticed is that in many of the new and upcoming videos, producers try and bump the sales by adding videos of hot girls and other uncensored stuff. Does the stunting alone not draw enough attention to make good sales? Now a days videos is not only about the stunt riding, but more allround and covers more of a way of living rather than letting the stunts performed entertain the viewer. Now we have to see chicks flashing *****, people getting seriously hurt. And have you ever noticed that crashes recieve more cheer from the crowd than any stunt you do, is that not odd? The crowd is more entertained/pleased by that than any of the other stunts. It's really hard for the crowd to cheer at something boring like a regular slow wheelie. Cuz it just doesn't look hard or thrilling at all. A mf bad *** burnout at 6th gear revlimit will surely get the crowd going, but not a wimpy little 3 feet black mark on the ground. Please the crowd or it will turn the back on you.

What also seem to happen in the US is that the fan base is only growing within the sportbike community. It's all riders coming together to make the crowd. It is not a family event, that an ordinary family can go watch.

Over here in Europe stunt riding is really not that big either, but when they promote the stunt riding competition, it is done on a pretty big scale and the news reaches out to a lot of people, hence getting a bigger and wider audience not consisting of just other riders. (but still mainly so)
Old 12-28-2003, 09:53 AM
ROWDY'S WHEELIES

atl freestyle is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally posted by CBOdmi
I gotta say the same ****, I could careless where this sport heads man. I just like to ride and when i get a chance to ride with the best thats the best thing that can happen to me. Just riding having fun doing my thing, and when i get a chance to do my **** and ride but also have a chance to ride with the best .............It dont get no better then that to me. Thats the ultimate so as long as i can continue to ride and come to shows and ride with everybody thats good enough for me.

damn did that make sense its 3:10 and Im tired

Im heading to Ft. Lauderdale to ride with Tony, Joe, Roc, Nags, Darius then the following weekend Stuntwars

thats the ultimate and it dont get no better then that, No matter where to sport goes it will never be better then that. Just riding at the spot with the best the sport has to offer, when ur a rider like me and you have an opportunity to ride with these guys I cant name any other sports when u can do that. So I feel priviladged and I love how the sport is now

there isnt anything i love more than to ride with the best. and **** it, if the sport goes nowhere, i am having fun right now and that is all that matters.
Old 12-28-2003, 10:22 AM
GOODBYE STUNTLIFE

Droptop can only hope to improve
Ok heres my opinon

As the Manager Of Scooter Trash and a newbie Stunt Rider...

I just Started Stunt riding this last year and have progressed pretty far but I am a buisness manager by heart... I Love the sport of riding and stunting..

This is the way I see it, and Im not bad mouthing or raggging on any particular stunt team... Maybe Im wrong let me know.

I think that in The begining when this sport first evolved, alot of things were done wrong. Not that this is anyone fault. We all had to start somewhere on a back road riding. But it turned into more than that. People Getting on the freeway scaring the shi t out of people as they drove there cars, running from the police, and then the whole metality of saying fuc k the police... Yes I agree that the police can be asses and if you are some where you cant hurt no one or anything they should let you be. But When you get on the freeway, or main road I dont care how good you are shi t still happens and you are still endagering everyone around.
I have been and put on shows where the police are cool with it there and are all into it... But you are notendagering anyone...
People on in-line skates, snowboards, skateboards, and anyother sport in the x-games is not really that Dangerous to the general public... Because it can not be duplicated on public roads...
What does all this mean... We want a fan base to demand to see us but at the same time they are scared of us when they see a pack of bikes coming down the road acting up.. so there went our Fan base...

I have done alot of work in talking to potential sponsor's and x-game people... Here's what I think is going on...
I think that the only person right now that we should put in charge of all of us and we should support is KEN ABBOT from the US Freestyle....
The Reason I say this is everywhere i go they want orginazation. You can not have orginization if you have 1000 teams running around trying to do there own thing.. So if EVERYONE and i mean everyone put there support in the US Freestyle team this would show that we were serious about the sport and people including corpartions would look at us more serious..
Know I have been to a couple of XSBA shows... I know I might get bashed over this but ohh welll... They honestly were not that fun... I know we were fit in between the bike races and there were not that many people there to watch us stunt riders. They were there to watch the races... I agree it wasnt always fun but it is the only thing that was setup that people will somewhat recognize.
Now If the Us Freestyle was more like a NOPI weekend event and we made it (Helping out Ken Abbot) More like a whole show, including bike shows, dragracing, Bikin shows, and a Party at the end of the night... I think people would be more interested in coming... Im not saying lets walk in NOPI shoes but they figured it out and there shows are great.
Now We cant just sit back and Say Ken Abbot it's up to you... Hes only one man... Im sure if everyone put there resoures together and called each other and worked on make shows better it would and could be like this... We all have hookups in one way or another.. We should use them to benifit the sport not just one group..

Now Back to the Big Corprate Sponsor's... they have an image to uphold and yes Street Bikes are extreme.. but only up to a point.. I have talked to 2 Bike companies they all say the same things... Get orginized as in the sport, and Take it off of the streets. They have an image to uphold and they dont want to support something that kills inocent people!!
As in other big sponsors they would get on the bandwagon when they Bike Manufacters come on board... If there not supporting us and the sport... I dont think no one will...

As in Movies... I think about 90% of the videos produced by Stunt team's are great. and If you buy one that sucks.. your like ohh well and go out and get another... Just hopefully your not watching a **** ty one for the first time you are introduced to the sport!!! I did make a trip into Best but Yesterday and yes it was a cluster fuc k and there was like a million Video's on the shelf and yes it would be hard to pick a good video if you didnt know what you were looking for...
Theres not much we can do about this. Only thing I can say is please before you put out your video make sure its top notch and not just alright...

Another Problem is I can get a big potential sponsor to come on board and then A movie like Biker Boyz or Torque will come out.. Yeah these moves are **** ty, but he stunts are cool... But when these movies bomb it hurts us belive it or not... I have heard alot of negative things about biker boyz and people who dont know anything about the sport are like this crap is boring ans **** ty. Now we are all good at different things and all have differnt hook ups.... Someone right a good script.... Im sure somehow it could get made and produced.....

It seems to me.. Correct me if Im wrong... It seems like there are 3 major area's to the sport... Not leaving anyone out by the way..
You have The West Coast (Cali, And Las Vegas)
Then you have Florida Then The Midwest or upper region... Yes Florida and Cali can ride all year round and some of there riders are the best riders who walked the earth.. We still need to put in an effort to work together. I know we do now but it might not be enough... dont really know for sure right now... I know that other teams have invited us to come do shows with them and that is great..

There is one thing about this sport that will not change... And is not a bad thing ..... Being a Side show... I love when we do shows on the weekend at a a Fair Grounds. 12 hour days a stunt show every 2 hours for 15 minutes... These Kind of shows are great because people are ljust amazed and they love it.. they will buy up videos and shirts and make you feel like a movie star... this is the greatest feeling in the world.

As Far as the X-Games.. yeah we could be there next year... No one should kid themself and say we couldnt be there.... Its not immpossible.... And alot of you know this.... We need MONEY and a Sactioning Body!!! This is where everyone pulls together and we try and Get Ken Abbot to help us out here. I say who cares if everyone get's to ride in the first 1 or 2 years of the Xgames.. Pull all your resources together and get the sport there..... Forget about yourself and saying if im not there Im not going to help.... Lets show people who we are and what were about!!!
Yes We need big sponsors and lots of money and that alot of out little sponsor;s might think that they would be forgotten about if we went to the xgames. This is where we to reassure them that we will never backstabor forget who helped us in the begging..
Now Money getting the money is probably the hardest problem. But if we could get this together.. then it would be a go... How do we get the money..... We dont have to have suzuki, honda, or kawaski or anyone else on board in the begging... We can sell advertising, go to other corparations....
I have this huge plan worked out and Im sure alot of people do... But we all need to work together and I would be more that willing to do this with anyone... But everyone has to stop saying about each other.. "What does he know, Im a better Buissness man than the next man"

Well If the Sport does go big Fine... If Not Then Ohh well it was fun while it lasted and people were famous in there own respects. and you cant say you lead a boring life!!!

I know I rambled on and on .... If anyone feel's like bitching at me or if they feel Im Wrong let me know....

But If you feel Im right and maybe want to work on something together that would be apperciated too!!!!
Old 12-28-2003, 10:40 AM
I Enjoy Posting At StuntLife!

GSE Mike is an unknown quantity at this point
I think eventully all stunters will move to florida than it will be like vegas........people want to see stunt shows they'll visit florida......

Oh yea.....i just ride for fun and to better my psychological skills.

Quick Reply: where is this sport going (really)