Strange F4I overheating problem

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2010, 02:38 PM

Lukey79 is a decent person
Strange F4I overheating problem

Just bought an 01 f4I. It runs great, just has a weird overheating issue that none of us can figure out... including some moto mechanics I ride with. I've flushed the whole system twice and put new coolant in and the ratiator is full. We took the thermostat out to see if it was the problem. Coolant is circulating and there's no coolant leaking from the water pump. We also tried getting out any air bubbles that might be in the system. Fan kicks on at about 225. Usually it runs pretty normal on the highway, but as soon as I sit at a light, or am at the lot, within 1-2 minutes it jumps up to 230, 240, and eventually 250+. Any ideas???
Old 04-05-2010, 03:19 PM
sack up or pack up!!!

beardo has a reputation beyond reputebeardo has a reputation beyond reputebeardo has a reputation beyond reputebeardo has a reputation beyond reputebeardo has a reputation beyond reputebeardo has a reputation beyond reputebeardo has a reputation beyond reputebeardo has a reputation beyond reputebeardo has a reputation beyond reputebeardo has a reputation beyond reputebeardo has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Strange F4I overheating problem

wire fan to stay on w/ ignition...just a thought
Old 04-05-2010, 04:44 PM

Towlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of light

try running 50/50 mix of vinigar and coolant through the bike, start the bike and let it run for a little bit, then drain it out, and flush with distilled water, then refill with coolant of your choice.

Also water cools the best, antifreeze is just there to stop corrosion/algea, resist freeezing, and lube the water pump. You could mix your coolant a little lean if you want, like a 70/30 mix of water/coolant if you don't leave your bike out in the cold
Old 04-05-2010, 06:52 PM

Lukey79 is a decent person

Originally Posted by Towlieee
try running 50/50 mix of vinigar and coolant through the bike, start the bike and let it run for a little bit, then drain it out, and flush with distilled water, then refill with coolant of your choice.

Also water cools the best, antifreeze is just there to stop corrosion/algea, resist freeezing, and lube the water pump. You could mix your coolant a little lean if you want, like a 70/30 mix of water/coolant if you don't leave your bike out in the cold
Yea I put water and water wetter in after I flushed it out the first time. Still no difference with the water. I guess I might try flushing it with vinigar and coolant, and then bypass the fan. Anybody got any other ideas???
Old 04-06-2010, 07:46 PM
DOC

RKArmor is a decent person

i think i heard somewhere if the two small hoses that go on the back of the motor under the throttle bobies are switched it wiil do that
Old 04-18-2010, 12:38 AM
Naarden Bike Super Store

NAARDEN INC is a decent person

my turd4i is doing the same **** right now, god damit
Old 04-18-2010, 12:59 AM
also known as OMR

old man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for rep

Originally Posted by Lukey79
Just bought an 01 f4I. It runs great, just has a weird overheating issue that none of us can figure out... including some moto mechanics I ride with. I've flushed the whole system twice and put new coolant in and the ratiator is full. We took the thermostat out to see if it was the problem. Coolant is circulating and there's no coolant leaking from the water pump. We also tried getting out any air bubbles that might be in the system. Fan kicks on at about 225. Usually it runs pretty normal on the highway, but as soon as I sit at a light, or am at the lot, within 1-2 minutes it jumps up to 230, 240, and eventually 250+. Any ideas???
some times taking out a thermostat will make a bike over heat, the coolant doesnt have enough time to transfer heat unless there is alot of air going across the radiator like when you are on the highway you get plenty of air ..

maybe the thermostat was bad , did you try a new thermostat ?
Old 04-18-2010, 01:14 AM
Incredible shrinking man

blee is a decent person

Mine was doin that last yearbut I fixed it and it's been runnin SUPER cool ever since.

This is what I did.

#1----Got some header wrap and wrapped the header and collector all the way to the midpipe.

#2----Wired the stock fan to come on when the key is turned on.So the fan is always on while the bike is running.

#3----Installed a secondary fan (06 or 07-R6 fan)And wired it to a switch.I only turn on the second fan if its really really hot outside.

#4---and finally...Just use regular ol' coolant or water.
I've tried every USELESS "water wetter""engine ice" ETC bullshit,It don't work for **** and is a waste of money.

My Bike rarely see's temp's over 215 ever since I did all that ****.
Old 04-18-2010, 01:42 AM
sack up or pack up!!!

beardo has a reputation beyond reputebeardo has a reputation beyond reputebeardo has a reputation beyond reputebeardo has a reputation beyond reputebeardo has a reputation beyond reputebeardo has a reputation beyond reputebeardo has a reputation beyond reputebeardo has a reputation beyond reputebeardo has a reputation beyond reputebeardo has a reputation beyond reputebeardo has a reputation beyond repute

woow blee...new avitar!!! nice...i was getting a little tired of the old one...changeing the colors just didnt do it for me...hahah HOW LOW..........can YOU GO??!!!!ahhahaah
Old 04-18-2010, 01:06 PM
Incredible shrinking man

blee is a decent person

LOL,for some reason I try to stay away from cameras.I ride poopy when the cameras come out.LOL. so I dont have much footage or pics of me ridin,some dude came out to our lot and started takin some pics and sent em to my e-mail,so now I got a new avi..YEEEEE HAWWW

I hated my old AVI but it was the only pic I had that I took from a video
OH...and I cant get low unless I'm fallin.
Old 04-18-2010, 04:01 PM
sack up or pack up!!!

^^^ i feel ya i got camera anxiety too.... but dont cut yourself short....looks like you got some lean angle goin on in that avi!!! i just started getting low (on purpose) lol ill tell you its all about sacking up and twisting that throttle!!! i wish you werent half way across the county.... i would love to meet up w/ you guys...seem like a pretty cool crue!!!
Old 04-18-2010, 10:59 PM
Incredible shrinking man

blee is a decent person

I hear ya fo sho bud...and yeah, most everybody that stunts in Michigan is super cool... Luckily I get to ride with a crew of gangstas that have the same drive and love for the sport that I do and most of em are willing to ride everyday.which is a HUGE plus.It be sick if we all could meet up wit ya and kill it sometime.

But yeah,on certain ****,Sackin up is 100% the major downfall for me,I know I got the skill and ability to eventually do some sick **** on a bike, but after breakin soooo many bones(MX ridin) in such a short period of time,I seem to take the slower,lil bit safer route.I still end up reachin all the goals I've set for myself but it's kinda poop, cause I know I'm being a scared lil ninnie when it comes to doin a new trick for the 1st time.I always yell at myself n say "JUST ****** DO IT YOU ****** PUSS" LOL It works...sometimes.
It suck's being a grown *** man that went back to takin lil baby steps.ha haaaa but it's better than being laid up in the hospital.ya know
Old 04-19-2010, 12:52 AM
also known as OMR

old man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for rep

Originally Posted by blee
I hear ya fo sho bud...and yeah, most everybody that stunts in Michigan is super cool... Luckily I get to ride with a crew of gangstas that have the same drive and love for the sport that I do and most of em are willing to ride everyday.which is a HUGE plus.It be sick if we all could meet up wit ya and kill it sometime.

But yeah,on certain ****,Sackin up is 100% the major downfall for me,I know I got the skill and ability to eventually do some sick **** on a bike, but after breakin soooo many bones(MX ridin) in such a short period of time,I seem to take the slower,lil bit safer route.I still end up reachin all the goals I've set for myself but it's kinda poop, cause I know I'm being a scared lil ninnie when it comes to doin a new trick for the 1st time.I always yell at myself n say "JUST ****** DO IT YOU ****** PUSS" LOL It works...sometimes.
It suck's being a grown *** man that went back to takin lil baby steps.ha haaaa but it's better than being laid up in the hospital.ya know
the older you get the more careful you learn new tricks
Old 04-19-2010, 01:57 AM
sack up or pack up!!!

+1 motocross destroyed me quick...i wasnt skilld enouph to be fast but that didnt stop me from going fast...haha and i pay everyday still for that crap....my big downfall was i would get fatigued(sp) and not stop rideing and would end up yard saled to long later.... wish i woulda started stunting and never messed w/ the mx bikes back when i was younger....and im still at the whole lacking sack stage when i think im gonna jump through to 50/50 no matter how bad i wanna just do it....its like a gag reflex or somethin when it comes time to jump my body says NO!!! hahaha i think eventually i will do it but nobody around here has it and i dont want to be the first to try it and break my self...but im sure i will soon..... i just tried no handed 0's for the first time a couple days ago... ( dint get far except that i know its possible now) its like a whole new excitement in stunting for me....almost like when i first started.....only harder....lol
Old 04-19-2010, 01:57 AM
sack up or pack up!!!

sry your thread has been jacked...hahaha get the heat down yet?
Old 04-19-2010, 12:00 PM
myspace.com/atowncustoms

slidewayz89 is just really niceslidewayz89 is just really niceslidewayz89 is just really niceslidewayz89 is just really niceslidewayz89 is just really nice

sell that f4i and get a 636
Old 04-19-2010, 02:30 PM
sack up or pack up!!!

Originally Posted by slidewayz89
sell that f4i and get a 636
yeah cause then you will never have a heating problem....NOT!!! my f4i never overheaets unless i pop a tire!!! i think that is the 636 major down fall.....always run hot!!!
Old 06-09-2019, 08:22 AM

Jay Thompson is a decent person

Originally Posted by Towlieee