What the fuck's up with my shifter not going back on??

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2002, 03:22 PM

crazeinc is an unknown quantity at this point
What the ****'s up with my shifter not going back on??

Replaced my clutch cable this afternoon.

Start putting the shifter back on, no problem. Then the physical piece that changes the gears starts moving into the clutch case. No problem, I'll hold it while I tap the shifter into place. Oops, pushed the rod into the case too far, pull it back out.

It went on like this for about 5 minutes, almost had it on, pushed the rod in a little too far, pull it out, but now it won't come fully out.

The way it sits now, it won't shift the gears, so it needs to come out more. So I tightened up the clamp on the shifter to the rod to get a better grip on it to try and pull it out.

Nothing. I put a big screwdriver behind it (we're talking A LOT of pressure) trying to pry it back out and it won't budge.

What the heck is going on? It was sliding back and forth no problem and then it gets stuck in this position? I can push it in, but it won't pull out past this one point.

I really don't want to have the dealer install a shifter because it'll bruise the ego
Old 11-29-2002, 10:24 PM
I'm Getting Used to Posting

ghost183 is an unknown quantity at this point
this might be s tupid question...and my apologies. dont want to bruise your ego more, but you did remove the bolt from the shifter. completely..right?... it has a keyway that is designed to do just that...prevent the shifter from falling out..
Old 12-05-2002, 10:31 PM
I Love To Post!

Schwartz will become famous soon enough
Your Problem Now

I bet what happen next is this. The shaft that the shifter is connected to is no longer in it's correct position on the other side of the engine. The shifting assembly is behind the clutch basket on the other side on the engine. It's pretty simple once you get to it. The shifter shaft will come out to it's correct length. If you did in fact run it in too far as to dislodge it from it's correct position then you will need to replace the Cir-Clip on the shifter side of the engine. As stated above the whole problem may have started with you not removing the bolt completely from the shifter. Good luck any ???s IM me.
Peace Be Safe
Schwartz