Help with my Thesis! What do you think about the new FL law?

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2008, 10:44 AM

CPat is an unknown quantity at this point
Help with my Thesis! What do you think about the new FL law?

I'm writing a Thesis for my college course, and I have decided to write it based on the new FL law for stricter punishments for street stunting and excessive speeding. I need to get quotes on this topic, and thoughts from people involved so I figure why not come directly to the source and see what you guys think?

I will be quoting some of the best statements, so please give me a little more than "FTP."

Thanks guys!!!

For those of you who don't know what's up, here's a basic article brienfly explaining what I'm talking about....

Motorists and motorcyclists using public roadways for high-speed racing can now get slapped with fines up to $5,000, under a new state law effective Oct. 1.
Under the law, drivers going 50 mph over the speed limit may be fined from $1,000 to $5,000, depending on how many times they are ticketed.
A third offense is $5,000, plus the driver's license can be revoked for 10 years, according to the law.
The law originally was designed to curb irresponsible driving by motorcyclists and people on mopeds, state officials said. But the state Legislature broadened it to include motorists.
"It is not uncommon to see cars going 30 to 40 mph over the speed limit on limited access highways such as Interstate 95 and the Florida Turnpike. And motorcyclists go higher," said Florida Highway Patrol spokesman Lt. Tim Frith.
"In April in Boynton Beach, a motorcyclist on I-95 passed me going 116 mph," Frith said. "It sounded like a freight train. Overtaking him was one of the most dangerous things I have done in my career. In my mind, those speeds are grotesque."
Some people on "high-performance motorcycles are using roadways as a personal playground, doing stunts and going 120 mph," said the legislation's sponsor, state Rep. Carlos Lopez-Cantera, of Miami. He said it is happening throughout Florida's metropolitan areas.
In addition to trying to curb excessive speeding, the law allows fines for motorcycle and moped drivers doing wheelies on public roadways, said Florida Highway Patrol spokesman Mark Welch.
Such one-wheel stands carry a fine of $60 plus court costs, Welch said. So does not straddling the seat and not facing forward. The law even has a provision to charge motorcycle owners $30 for having the license plate vertical rather than horizontal.
Much of the law in about "just simply being responsible," said Mike Price, legislative director of a motorcyclist lobby group, ABATE of Florida Inc. "Public highways are not a place for stunts."

Last edited by CPat; 10-28-2008 at 10:50 AM.
Old 10-28-2008, 10:54 AM

Unknown_Tom is a splendid one to beholdUnknown_Tom is a splendid one to beholdUnknown_Tom is a splendid one to beholdUnknown_Tom is a splendid one to beholdUnknown_Tom is a splendid one to beholdUnknown_Tom is a splendid one to beholdUnknown_Tom is a splendid one to beholdUnknown_Tom is a splendid one to behold
Re: Help with my Thesis! What do you think about the new FL law?

Well are you writing in support of the new laws or against them?
Old 10-28-2008, 11:04 AM
da fiddy bitches!!!

50Outlaw has a reputation beyond repute50Outlaw has a reputation beyond repute50Outlaw has a reputation beyond repute50Outlaw has a reputation beyond repute50Outlaw has a reputation beyond repute50Outlaw has a reputation beyond repute50Outlaw has a reputation beyond repute50Outlaw has a reputation beyond repute50Outlaw has a reputation beyond repute50Outlaw has a reputation beyond repute50Outlaw has a reputation beyond repute

judging by her avatar im going to say against them
Old 10-28-2008, 11:12 AM
I Have Too Much Free Time

Zuki750 has a brilliant futureZuki750 has a brilliant futureZuki750 has a brilliant futureZuki750 has a brilliant futureZuki750 has a brilliant futureZuki750 has a brilliant futureZuki750 has a brilliant futureZuki750 has a brilliant futureZuki750 has a brilliant futureZuki750 has a brilliant futureZuki750 has a brilliant future

A $60 wheelie ticket doesn't sound that bad.
Maybe they won't jump right to driving to endanger now.
Old 10-28-2008, 11:20 AM

I'm writing as a non-biased party, trying to get opinions from three sides...what do the riders think (by interviewing and getting opinions from you guys), what do the cops think (also interviewing and getting the opinions of a few officers from Central FL), what do the non-involved parties (soccer moms, people who have no motorcycle involvement) think, etc. Despite my own personal opinions, I have to write a non-personalized report on a topic of my choice. So I'm working to get a general opinion from all three sides.
Old 10-28-2008, 11:36 AM

YodaCon is an unknown quantity at this point

Just to open I dont live in FL and Im not an authority on there laws but I have seen allot on this subject. Now to address what you had posted I definatly feel that 50 mph over the speed limit is substantial, (at that point why stop) but I feel the penalties are insane. That being said the 3rd strike should potentially hold a $1,000.00 with loss of your license for 6 months to a year. Maybe 1st time $500,2nd $750 lose your license for 3 months and the 3rd fine listed above. At no point should speeding result in loss of driving privelage for 10 years. What are the drunk driving or no ins penalties?

I also heard of some insane fines if your tags arent properly displayed. If all there laws, fines, and penalties are harsh then there treatment of bikers is in fact consistant with a no tolerance state. If not then they are profiling all bikers and allowing other areas of the state to suffer. By far no ins and drunk driving should carry the heftier fines. How do they measure up in those areas?
Old 10-28-2008, 11:40 AM

YodaCon is an unknown quantity at this point

Also I would want to see data on how many accidents are caused by the exsseive speeds. What led them to believe this is such a major issue for the highways. In New York they are strict and they do charge you a yearly fee if you exceed 4 points but it seems like the state gov has a hard on for bikes.

As part of your research are you comparing these laws to that of other states?

Oh yeah F.T.P!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 10-28-2008, 12:33 PM
Soup Mafia

Ethiopian is a splendid one to beholdEthiopian is a splendid one to beholdEthiopian is a splendid one to beholdEthiopian is a splendid one to beholdEthiopian is a splendid one to beholdEthiopian is a splendid one to beholdEthiopian is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Zuki750
A $60 wheelie ticket doesn't sound that bad.
Maybe they won't jump right to driving to endanger now.

thats cheaper than before the new law, it was $180 last time i got a ticket for wheelies. i dont understand someone told me it was $1000 for a wheelie and that says $60. if thats correct than im gonna halloween streetride.
Old 10-29-2008, 08:54 PM

zemog255 is a decent person

Im actually turing in a paper tomorrow on the same topic but mines an editorial. I just read on here for quotes and a few other sites, we were allowed to quote forums and then searched some on yahoo on the topic. I found articles on negative press on stunting and based most of my paper off of that. Then agreed with parts that I felt like i could call netural ground. The hardest part about arguing this, is that it is illegaland dangerous. So its hard to get around that from an outsiders point of view.
Old 10-29-2008, 08:56 PM

nags User spends way too much time asking for repnags User spends way too much time asking for repnags User spends way too much time asking for repnags User spends way too much time asking for repnags User spends way too much time asking for repnags User spends way too much time asking for repnags User spends way too much time asking for repnags User spends way too much time asking for repnags User spends way too much time asking for repnags User spends way too much time asking for repnags User spends way too much time asking for rep

Originally Posted by Ethiopian
thats cheaper than before the new law, it was $180 last time i got a ticket for wheelies. i dont understand someone told me it was $1000 for a wheelie and that says $60. if thats correct than im gonna halloween streetride.
It's $1000 for operating a motorcycle on one wheel.
Old 10-29-2008, 08:57 PM

nags User spends way too much time asking for repnags User spends way too much time asking for repnags User spends way too much time asking for repnags User spends way too much time asking for repnags User spends way too much time asking for repnags User spends way too much time asking for repnags User spends way too much time asking for repnags User spends way too much time asking for repnags User spends way too much time asking for repnags User spends way too much time asking for repnags User spends way too much time asking for rep

The $1000 fine can also apply to a mismounted tag.
Old 10-29-2008, 08:58 PM

The information in the original post is not correct
Old 10-29-2008, 09:03 PM

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/loc...,6871280.story

A second part of the law requires that motorcyclists keep both wheels on the ground at all times. Bike owners also must attach their license tags horizontally.

If the plate is mounted improperly, officers can fine the rider $1,000. The intent was to penalize riders with "flip-up" tags that can be turned so the tag isn't readable — a ploy used by speeders.
Old 10-29-2008, 09:20 PM
I Enjoy Posting At StuntLife!

GSE Mike is an unknown quantity at this point

I only hope more people run and cops start killing innocent people while chasing the runners, then maybe a real law will be written thats protects everybody
Old 10-29-2008, 09:22 PM

Originally Posted by GSE Mike
I only hope more people run and cops start killing innocent people while chasing the runners, then maybe a real law will be written thats protects everybody
When they started talking about that law I was interviewed at a show and put on TV basically saying the same thing you just did.
Old 10-29-2008, 10:05 PM

Nags, you're right about the original information being wrong. The funny thing is that although everyone KNOWS about this law getting passed, NO ONE can tell me what statute it is so that I can quote it directly. I am dating an officer, and I have two officers in my class. The two in my class didn't know the exact details, and my guy only knows about the law because of what I've told him. And if I search online, everyone is talking about it...but no one can quote an exact statute, and everyone's got a different interpretation on this law.

It's getting interesting. And kind of a pain in the ***....lol.
Old 10-30-2008, 03:22 PM

zemog255 is a decent person

http://www.leg.state.fl.us/Statutes/...16/Sec2085.HTM

This is what i used it seemed good enough.
Old 11-01-2008, 12:20 AM

Justasquid is a decent person

Just my two cents as I dont live Florida,

I would imagine it is up to 1,000 dollar fine. Here in michigan, its somewhere around 400 bucks and 4 points on your license for wreckless driving. I wish it was only 60 bucks.

I really dont think its to improve safety as much as it is the insurance companies nagging local politicians to do something about it. Dont get me wrong, I think the potential for disaster is there everytime someone decides to stunt on a public highway, but the damage caused it usually just the bike and some to the rider.

On the other side. I would hate it if everyday I was on the highway with my child in the car and some douchebag is wheelieing past me at 100mph. I think there is a time a place for everything. It has gotten out of hand in Florida from what Ive read and this is what happens when people are just stupid. If it was kept on the back streets or in parking lots and away from the majority of the public, it wouldnt be an issue.

the sad part is. even in other states that dont have the same issues will adopt the same penalities just to do it before it gets out of hand in other states.