Vertical Mischief Crew Photo Gallery
www.verticalmischief.com
Wisconsin

HD pulling plug on Buell

Old 10-15-2009, 01:31 PM

kawisixer is an unknown quantity at this point
HD pulling plug on Buell

Kinda sad to see another american manufacturer go down. Can't say I honestly would have ever bought one with the current state of their engineering. But if Harley ever would have given them the money to do some real R&D and gave them a little more backing they possibly could have become a real competitor. Despite not having alot of R&D money they did come up with some pretty interesting ideas and designs and didn't seem to be afarid of trying new ideas and toeing the line of design limitations.

http://walworthcountytoday.com/weblo...l-motorcycles/
Old 10-15-2009, 01:56 PM
Retired

NINER User spends way too much time asking for repNINER User spends way too much time asking for repNINER User spends way too much time asking for repNINER User spends way too much time asking for repNINER User spends way too much time asking for repNINER User spends way too much time asking for repNINER User spends way too much time asking for repNINER User spends way too much time asking for repNINER User spends way too much time asking for repNINER User spends way too much time asking for repNINER User spends way too much time asking for rep
Re: HD pulling plug on Buell

What was so bad about their engineering? Their designs are questionable, but I think the engineering was top notch.
Old 10-15-2009, 02:26 PM
I Chose to No Longer Post

Ryan S is a decent person

i think there's alot more to the story that we aren't hearing about yet...just a speculation on my part is that buell is trying to get away from hd?????
Old 10-15-2009, 02:31 PM
Retired

NINER User spends way too much time asking for repNINER User spends way too much time asking for repNINER User spends way too much time asking for repNINER User spends way too much time asking for repNINER User spends way too much time asking for repNINER User spends way too much time asking for repNINER User spends way too much time asking for repNINER User spends way too much time asking for repNINER User spends way too much time asking for repNINER User spends way too much time asking for repNINER User spends way too much time asking for rep

Originally Posted by Ryan S
i think there's alot more to the story that we aren't hearing about yet...just a speculation on my part is that buell is trying to get away from hd?????
That would be awesome. They always were the redheaded step child of sportbikes because to the HD affiliation, but based on Erik almost crying in the video I would have to disagree.
Old 10-15-2009, 11:35 PM
I hate wallabies.

KangarooJack is an unknown quantity at this point

No Ryan, HD yanked it out from under Erik. When Buell brought the XB out, they had a hit. I wanted a 1125R (and a Ultraglide) when I got things straightened out. Would be nice if they put them up for sale like they did with MV, but I bet HD doesnt want to sell Buell, just sink it.
Old 10-16-2009, 12:53 AM

kawisixer is an unknown quantity at this point

The lack of engineering for a long time was the engines. They had top notch chassis design and stuff but the putrid engine they had in them was a weak undependable joke. I wouldn't doubt this has a tiny bit to do with the state of WI dropping the tax law change that cost harley davidson 22.5 million dollars out of the blue. I'd definetely say that the harley dealers that were reluctant to bring in Buell line and support it ended up shooting themelves in the foot. The Buell brand really could have been something that built harley if their dealers would have taken it seriously. It was a way to not only bring younger customers through the door and get them acquanted with the brand, but also end up with trickle down technology to their cruiser lines. I have heard numerous times the story of Rudy Kutter throwing a fit how he wasn't going to bring "some crotch rocket crap" into his store, and I'm sure he wasn't the only one with that **** poor attitude.
Old 10-16-2009, 01:52 AM
DONT READ THIS! Dammit!

BoDuke01 is a decent person

HD started off bad w the buell brand from the get go when they Fukd Eric Buell. Personally I think the best buells are the ones built by Eric Buell by hand when HD was backing them. The newer buells are cool but theyr underachievers. Too overpriced and under-performing. I was hoping like hell that when Harley bought MV that they would merge the companies and start building real quality superbikes. Cant say Im surprised tho. Prolly lookin for a government bail out.
Old 10-17-2009, 02:33 AM
I hate wallabies.

KangarooJack is an unknown quantity at this point

Dunno Joel. Rudy never gave me attitude even when I rode the YZF there. Kegels in Rockford was another story. Not gonna even go into what a crap hole Capital City HD is.