GodSpeed Extreme - GSE Photo Gallery
www.GodSpeedExtreme.net
Tampa Bay Area, Florida

The last 3 days.....

Old 09-20-2003, 09:38 PM

GSE_Anthony is an unknown quantity at this point
Unhappy The last 3 days.....

(This is long, you are forewarned!!!)

Well it has been a long week, or second half of the week.

I got home from Hooters bike night Wednesday night and my son wasn't feeling well, all cranky and stuff and out of sorts. We get him to bed but he won't stay still, keeps waking up and crying and can't stay settled. Nothing seemed to out of sorts but he wouldn't sleep. Needless to say me and the wife literally didn't sleep a wink. So the next morning he was up and still acting like he was pissed at the world and nothing would settle him down so we call the Dr.s office and they can get up in at 11am. (Keep in mind a hurricane is headed our way so we were glad to get in there at all.)
Go to the Dr. and after looking at him she gives him a breathing treatment with a nebulizer thinks he might have pneumonia. Not having a fever or anything she thinks it is caused by a virus and she wants x-rays of his chest. The normal place they send people is closing early cause the storm is coming and she recommends we go to A.I. Dupont Children's Hospital to be monitored and for the x-rays. So off we go.
We get there and get him in right away, and within a few minutes are admitted and he is monitored and checked out by like 7 people in a row, all probing and trying to see how he his. They give him a breathing treatment cause his oxygen (O2) level is down around 90% or so and is supposed to be at or over 98% normally. After 4 hours, and 3 more beathing treatments they see that his O2 level is a little better but not good enough and decide they want to keep him overnight to monitor him and have him there instead of home should he have any trouble. The x-rays come back fine, nothing there and it is not pneumonia, but can be a viral infection of some sort still. Now it is like 4-5pm and the storm is kicking in and the wind is blowing and rain is coming down outside.
We get a room and settle in a little bit and the real fun starts. They give him another breathing treatment, take him temperature, all the fun stuff and then tell us they want to put him on an IV. Well I went with him to try and keep him calm but he had a real bad time with that. After they get the IV in they wrap his hand to a board so it can't move it and after hooking him to the tube they tape a sock over his arm so he can't mess with it. If there is one thing I hope to never have to see again it is one of my kids hooked up to an IV and other things and them crying in pain and frustration or from being restrained in order for them to do this types of things.
I head home to let the dog out and get supplies for the night, finish the last of my storm preparations which is worthless cause of the 40+ mph winds outside are already tearing up the neighborhood. I bring my daughter to my wife's dad's house for the night and head back to the hospital.
Vincent is feeling a little better now and is trying all he can to run out of the room and down the halls. He isn't easy to follow cause I have to push this awkward stand around that is carrying the IV bag. After a little food we try to settle down and sleep and it is always interupted by another nurse or person that has to monitor or probe him again. More breathing treatments, and EKG, etc etc all night. We couldn't get him to stay in the crib/bed they have for children so he sleeps on a cot on the floor between Jess and I, yes, the 3 of us on a small little cot! A little bit tight on there but the best sleep we had in 2 days. Also around 3am the hosital loses power and had only emergency lighting and power so there is no A/C or room lights or anything.
Morning comes, still no power and they are telling us it is a matter of time till they release him. His O2 level is normal, he is acting like a normal little boy and can go. He will have a puffer incase he has any respiratory problems again and has breathing issues, this will be for just the next couple months while they watch him to be sure he has no problems. They take out the IV and we get him dressed. I pack up stuff and head home to let the dog out at about 11am, he is released and Jess brings him home about 2 hours later.
I get home and find there is no power at our house either. I check the inside, no flooding, nothing out of place, I take the dog out front and start to look and see what has happened. Lots of branches and leaves til I get out back. A branch about 30 feet long came down and took the powerline with it. It doesn't look live but I don't get close, it has large burn marks on it from hitting the line and there are other branches scattered about also. One HUGE tree that splits at the base into 2 trees and then both go almost straight up has fallen. Luckily the one that fell is the one that leans away from the house and toward the woods cause it is over 100' tall. It didn't fall all the way, it rests at a 45 degree angle cause other large trees broke it's fall.
I call it in to the electric company and then call the fire dept to have them check to be sure the wire isn't live. After the fire department leaves the electric company shows up a couple hours later to write down the info/address to get a crew out here.
I spent about 4 hours working in the yard raking, bagging, cleaning up branches, leaves and stuff. Only good thing is that we don't have an electric water heater, it is gas, so we were actually able to take nice warn showers and clean up after a long day. We then went out to eat last night and lived by candlelight the rest of the evening. Oh, and we actually slept last night! About 10 hours, finally!!!
This morning we throw away most of the things in the refrigerator and freezer and clean that out. The electric company crew shows up about noon and cuts the branch away and fixes the line, we had electric restored by about 4pm. The wife goes food shopping to restock the house and we are finally all getting settled and situated and back to normal. Everyone is fine and doing well, including Vincent and hopefully next week will be a bit better.
See you later, sorry so long, there is probably more but I can't remember it all right now. It's been a long 3 days.
Anthony
Old 09-20-2003, 10:02 PM
I Enjoy Posting At StuntLife!

GSE Mike is an unknown quantity at this point
thats nutz.........good to hear everything is ok.

thats a long post......im sleepy
Old 09-21-2003, 10:10 AM

GSE Lasker is an unknown quantity at this point
man im sorry to hear all that happend to you and your family all at the same time. My sisters new son just had that same type pf problem so i know its a scary thing. Call me up if you need anything bro.

gene
Old 09-21-2003, 09:50 PM

ZdaMan is an unknown quantity at this point
Wow glad Vincent is feeling better. So did they ever say what it was?
Old 09-22-2003, 01:20 PM

Krik is an unknown quantity at this point
Glad to hear everything is ok. maybe you should have stayed in Florida?
Old 09-26-2003, 09:50 PM
Yea...I got that!

Reckless01 is a decent person
that SUX Ant, glad to hear you made it out ok and lil man is doin better...that power story strikes home because the same thing happened here...tree fell on lines and 18 hours later there was light...freakin TECO....stop standin there lookin at the wire jackass we both know theres a branch on it ....cut the branch off and fix it, TODAY Jr.!!!
Old 09-27-2003, 10:57 AM
I Enjoy Posting At StuntLife!

Dirty B is an unknown quantity at this point
Wow Ant! Sounds like you had an interesting week. I'm glad everything worked out for you and that Vincent is OK.
Old 10-10-2003, 02:16 PM

BigBird is an unknown quantity at this point
Glad to hear he is okay Anthony. I talked to Jesse and he seemed to be having similar problems, but it was all well last I heard.