tank slapper

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2004, 08:22 PM

04ZX10R is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: tank slapper

I have seen 15000 miles with no dampener and alot of shake in my front end when it gets light and i dont have the bars right only one of them scared me off the bike once again for the 2004 year and its not coming back out next year without a scotts or something of high quality on it. riding season started off bad for me anyway when my buddy tankslapped into a gaurdrail then took out a mile post with his body and got launched head first into a head stone in an old cemetary it only took seconds for that bike that looked like it was coming out of it to take that deadly turn on him. then another buddy had one coming off a wheelie at 140 and caught a crosswind tankslapped and slowed down to 122 and ditched it in the median wich was flooded and he made it out and the bike had scratches and a broken clutch lever and foot peg and exhaust. he got lucky and so did his bike. then i get one on a side street after just running and a big bump in the street is what helped save mine.
Old 11-23-2004, 08:28 PM
FHL
I Chose to No Longer Post

FHL is a decent person

Originally Posted by standy
That's the bad thing about a slapper during a stoppie......you can't make it stop. Just hang on and hope you don't get tackled by your bike. My Dad has a 954, and that thing slaps all the time, especially in fast corners when the front end gets light. I give big props to the guys stunting them.
Exactly what happened to me. If you have a 929 or 954 get a god damn steering damper.
Old 11-23-2004, 09:06 PM

DoodleF4i can only hope to improve

just hang on to those bars playa and fight the shake haha
Old 11-23-2004, 09:08 PM
Regular StuntLifer

RoadStainR6 is an unknown quantity at this point

I saw the aftermath of FHL's slapper. Took off too fast er somethin and WHAP... I've had one from puttin down a wheelie with the bars turned... More worreid about the wheelie than the landing.. almost cost me the bike. Definately need a damper!
Old 11-23-2004, 09:37 PM

dampers cost a hell of a lot tho haha and im broke as ****
Old 11-23-2004, 10:07 PM
I Enjoy Posting At StuntLife!

bill parr is an unknown quantity at this point

got a nasty one on the 900rr....i put down a 2nd gear stand up and got what turned into the whole bike slapping side to side pretty bad. i had the presence of mind to lean back and gas the **** out of it. that took the weight off the front wheel and allowed it to level out so to speak. you never want to slow down in a tank slapper b/c that will cause the wheel to grab and thats what throws you. best thing to do is to get as much weight off the front wheel as possible until it stops, if you cant....tuck your head between your legs and kiss your *** good bye cause your in for one hell of a ride....
Old 11-23-2004, 10:35 PM
FHL

FHL is a decent person

Originally Posted by bill parr
got a nasty one on the 900rr....i put down a 2nd gear stand up and got what turned into the whole bike slapping side to side pretty bad. i had the presence of mind to lean back and gas the **** out of it. that took the weight off the front wheel and allowed it to level out so to speak. you never want to slow down in a tank slapper b/c that will cause the wheel to grab and thats what throws you. best thing to do is to get as much weight off the front wheel as possible until it stops, if you cant....tuck your head between your legs and kiss your *** good bye cause your in for one hell of a ride....
I didn't have the choice of speeding up, it was too violent and I was almost in the triple digets. I am glad I chose to slow it down with the rear brake cause I probably would have just been thrown off going 20mph faster.
Old 11-23-2004, 10:39 PM

FHL your my hero!
Old 11-23-2004, 10:51 PM

Got2josh is an unknown quantity at this point

so in a bad tank slapper are the bars going from full lock to full lock, smacking against whatever keeps them from turning farther? The sounds alone would scare me crapless.
I probably haven't had a lot of problem with them on the kat, even setting the wheel down because 1, I don't get going much over 40 on one wheel, and 2, because the front end is so damn heavy.

So are 929's and 954's more prone to tank slap because honda makes them with lighter front ends?
Old 11-23-2004, 11:30 PM

ive had that happen got2josh, it slapped full lock and since one of my clip ons is bent down a little my fingers got crushed between the clip on and frame about 4 times
had bloody *** finger nails haha
Old 11-23-2004, 11:31 PM
FHL

FHL is a decent person

Originally Posted by Got2josh
so in a bad tank slapper are the bars going from full lock to full lock, smacking against whatever keeps them from turning farther? The sounds alone would scare me crapless.
I probably haven't had a lot of problem with them on the kat, even setting the wheel down because 1, I don't get going much over 40 on one wheel, and 2, because the front end is so damn heavy.

So are 929's and 954's more prone to tank slap because honda makes them with lighter front ends?
Lock to lock is nothing man. Wait until your rear tire is skipping off the ground from the force of the slapper.
Old 11-23-2004, 11:36 PM

haha yeah that happened to me when it went lock to lock,i didnt really know what the **** was happening but now it makes sense haha
Old 11-24-2004, 07:43 AM
I Enjoy Posting At StuntLife!

bill parr is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by FHL
Lock to lock is nothing man. Wait until your rear tire is skipping off the ground from the force of the slapper.
yeah that is the worst, your at the mecy of the bike, just hold on and hope for the best, ive only gotten one of them and hopefully it never happens again...
Old 11-24-2004, 07:58 AM

snigg is an unknown quantity at this point

i think some of you are getting slappers and "head shake" mixed up. FHL i highly doubt you got into a slapper at 110mph and used the back break to slow down to 60mph without getting thrown the **** off. a full on slapper only lasts a few seconds and you either ride out of it or it throws you the **** off. no way you're gonna slow down to 60mph...i think you got a little bit of headshake perhaps
Old 11-24-2004, 07:59 AM

snigg is an unknown quantity at this point

and yes, 954's have a very light front end. my buddy has a gixxer 750 and he wanted to ride the 954...after a short ride he said he wont get back on the thing till i have a damper...and he wonders how the **** i ride/stunt it without a damper
Old 11-24-2004, 10:16 AM

Nick_R6_OMC is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by snigg
i think some of you are getting slappers and "head shake" mixed up. FHL i highly doubt you got into a slapper at 110mph and used the back break to slow down to 60mph without getting thrown the **** off. a full on slapper only lasts a few seconds and you either ride out of it or it throws you the **** off. no way you're gonna slow down to 60mph...i think you got a little bit of headshake perhaps

good point.....i only had one slapper on my R6, it wasnt fun and i made it out alright....i've had tons of head shake on the other hand tho....thats a little different feeling there
Old 11-24-2004, 10:30 AM

no,ive seen 954's slap for a long time,ive rode one before but i never had any problems with it,ive also seen videos of bikes slapping full lock to full lock and being dumped off,it does happen...headshake happens all the time..its something i just ignore..i always get it pinning 3rd full throttle and just landing wheelies after the front wheel has slowed down a lot.
Old 12-07-2004, 10:18 AM
squid hunter

Trick is a splendid one to beholdTrick is a splendid one to beholdTrick is a splendid one to beholdTrick is a splendid one to beholdTrick is a splendid one to beholdTrick is a splendid one to beholdTrick is a splendid one to behold

as f'ed up as this sounds my first slapper was caused by the basterd raver saver (rumble strip) and i ended up *** down in the grass !!!!!

but the last one i had i was up on one and came down at like a buck ten tank slap hard hit the raver saver and it fixed the slap
go fu(kin figure !?!?!
Old 12-07-2004, 03:26 PM
FHL

FHL is a decent person

Originally Posted by snigg
Yeah that's kinda what I meant, I started getting headshake at 110 and slowed it down to probably 90 before it started slapping. I have no idea how fast I was going when I fell off.
Old 12-07-2004, 05:31 PM
Scrapes Elbow

Wheeliest is a name known to allWheeliest is a name known to allWheeliest is a name known to allWheeliest is a name known to allWheeliest is a name known to allWheeliest is a name known to all

gsxr1000kid666 seen my 110mph slapper.. i was in the power band of third gear on a pretty rough road, i slamed it wide open throttle and the wheel must have come off the ground a tiny bit and i was pulling cause of the g force and it started slapping. both the rear and front wheel were sliding out and i just held on and arround 60mph it stoped. i remembering just trying to give it gas and the bike was trying to throw me off so it wasn't an option to gas out of it so i justed mucled through it, also a loose tripple doesn't help

Quick Reply: tank slapper