tank slapper

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2004, 03:26 AM

Lotensin22 can only hope to improve
Re: tank slapper

"Yes at 110 that's why I haven't ridden in over a month. I'm fine and the bike only got one fairing scratched not even any marks on the upper or tail.

I'm getting a damper though."-FHL

^ FHL...if you are implying that you had a tank slapper that caused you to crash at 110 mph...and it only scratched one fairing...I'm raising the complete bullshit flag on you.
Old 11-10-2004, 01:17 AM

DoodleF4i can only hope to improve

nah i think he was going that fast when it slapped i dunno how fast when he dumped it
Old 11-10-2004, 11:08 AM

onsighter514d is an unknown quantity at this point

110, that blows dude. get the s*** fixed so we can ride.LOL
Old 11-10-2004, 06:09 PM
FHL
I Chose to No Longer Post

FHL is a decent person

I guess my instincts might not have been the best. I decided instead of accelerating to get out of it that I would just hit the rear brake and slow myself down as much as possible. I got it down to 60 before I was thrown off. I know it might not have been the best choice but the tank slapper was so violent that at the time I was more concerned with my life than the bike.

I have my shifter and brake pedal ordered. I only need a frame slider on my right side before I can ride the bike all the time again.
Old 11-10-2004, 06:31 PM

kidstunta is an unknown quantity at this point

Ya man, I keep a slapper going for miles, just to see how long I can go.

Old 11-10-2004, 06:49 PM
FHL
I Chose to No Longer Post

FHL is a decent person

Originally Posted by kidstunta
Ya man, I keep a slapper going for miles, just to see how long I can go.

Well I did hold on long enough to break my shifter on the left side which never hit the ground. I would say I was pretty determined not to fall off.
Old 11-10-2004, 08:06 PM

kidstunta is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by FHL
Well I did hold on long enough to break my shifter on the left side which never hit the ground. I would say I was pretty determined not to fall off.
How did that happen? Maybe I just dont know my tankslappers. Ive gotten a few bad ones. One time when I still had a bunch of junk on the front of my stuntbike (wires, all that ****) I got one (when I still had my bent forks) so bad it ripped my thumb a new one into all the electrical ****. Sliced it open pretty good. I never broke the shifter, how u do that man? Just tensing up or what?
Old 11-11-2004, 07:33 AM

Lotensin22 can only hope to improve

I had a tank slapper while sitting in the Special K position...thats a shitty experience. Didn't crash because I relaxed and gave it gas...but I needed a smoke afterwards.

And FHL, I see what you mean, BS flag lowered!
Old 11-11-2004, 09:25 AM
Scrapes Elbow

Wheeliest is a name known to allWheeliest is a name known to allWheeliest is a name known to allWheeliest is a name known to allWheeliest is a name known to allWheeliest is a name known to all

ahah yeah i like to bring up 3rd gear wheelies and ride em at like 8 o clock till i pin out 3rd gear and set down the wheel completely sidways and take off my hands. no handed slappers are way easier to control. i just wink my eye n twinkle my nose and wha laa bike straighten outs with no probs
Old 11-11-2004, 05:19 PM
Group Moderator

Manubi is an unknown quantity at this point

i came down sideways going around a turn before at about 90 the wheel was totaly turned sideways !

soon as the wheel came down it did a stoppie !

then the rear wheel bounced from side to side then while the front wobbled back n forth !

maybe the scariest thing ive done.

i grabed the bars as hard as i could and took the ride as it came.
Old 11-11-2004, 05:46 PM

inolen is a glorious beacon of lightinolen is a glorious beacon of lightinolen is a glorious beacon of lightinolen is a glorious beacon of lightinolen is a glorious beacon of lightinolen is a glorious beacon of light

Bwhahaha, the kid always bitching about stunting and stupid stunters wrecking and **** goes down. Karma.
Old 11-23-2004, 08:55 AM
Crashing SUCKS!!!

LAST CALL is an unknown quantity at this point

I guess I've been lucky because I haven't had a tank slapper yet. I'm riding with my bars crooked too. They are tweaked a little bit from the second time I looped it. I just try to remember the position I have to keep the bars in for my front tire to be straight. Anyone know how to straighten them out? I'm pretty stupid when it comes to mechanics. I guess I should fix them before anything happens in the future.
Old 11-23-2004, 09:35 AM

my fork seals are totally blown and leaked all the oil out,so if i land wheelies just a little wrong it likes to slap.
Old 11-23-2004, 10:03 AM

Nick_R6_OMC is an unknown quantity at this point

my buddy Tj was about to roll out a stoppie from 80 or so...and as soon as he brought it up on the front tire...he went into an immediate slapper, that pretty much started at his front tire and went all the way through his bike...before he was even able to set the rear down....imagine all of this as you are watching your friend about to eat **** while sittin on your own bike dion 80-90 next to him...fuggin scary
Old 11-23-2004, 10:06 AM

80 or so? **** that! im scared to roll a stoppie from 15mph haha
Old 11-23-2004, 11:11 AM

Got2josh is an unknown quantity at this point

I've never had a slapper happen to me but is it sort of like riding no-handed with the front wheel out of balance? My front tire has been unbalanced for 9500 miles, since may, and whenever I let go of the bars it goes side to side wicked fast. Just got a new tire put on yesterday though
Old 11-23-2004, 11:15 AM
LAWN JOCKEY

standy is a decent person

That's the bad thing about a slapper during a stoppie......you can't make it stop. Just hang on and hope you don't get tackled by your bike. My Dad has a 954, and that thing slaps all the time, especially in fast corners when the front end gets light. I give big props to the guys stunting them.
Old 11-23-2004, 11:18 AM

NovaMan is an unknown quantity at this point

hah yeah thats basically a tank slapper, but you get the real bad ones like some of these guys have been posting.

My F2 seems to ride outa slappers pretty damn good, ive had a couple but only from lockin up the front tire tryin to do a stoppie hah. not a fun feeling, i couldnt imagine doing it at 60-100 MPH :|
Old 11-23-2004, 11:50 AM
www.sicriders.com

SIC Nate is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by J_fukin_t
adjust ur damper's high speed setting and keep the low speed setting relatively low and let the damper do its $400 dutie haha, i've never had a bad slapper since i put that on let along 1 slapper,

If you have a dampner, especially a scotts, gpr, or other rotary type, then you need to know that it is most effective for fast input when set at a low setting.

freeway speed wheelies - low setting=more effective against slapper
stoppies/endos - set high, very tight= more effective against slapper
Old 11-23-2004, 12:01 PM

SlckRickDaRula is an unknown quantity at this point

At the begining of this season a group of us were riding on the x-way headed to a local spot. I was in the far left lane on a three lane highway. There was a little Civic in the middle lane and about ten bikes driving like asses passing everyone in the far right lane. I didn't want to be next to or even near any cars so I accelerated to pass the car. Just as I did that he swerved left right into me. He damn near almost threw me off the bike. I took off his mirror and scratched the side of the car, but my hands flew off the bars and my bike was headed hard left towards the median doing about 85. I grabbed the bars only to feel them pullin back and forth on their way to a wonderful slapper. Instinct "fear" made me hammer on the gas and I some how rode away. After we stopped the people riding behind me thought I was done, but the slapper that started scared me worst then actually getting hit. I now am the proud owner of a GPR stabilizer and wish I had gotten one earlier!! :YEAH Damn Cars

Quick Reply: tank slapper