Starting Standups (help)

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2004, 06:01 PM

NovaMan is an unknown quantity at this point
Starting Standups (help)

Hey guys whats up, still pretty fresh to the forums so i wanna give a formal greeting first :P

Now down to business, the last 4 days or so ive been practicing stand up wheelies (left foot back on passenger peg) im getting them up pretty good now in first on my CBR600 F2. Im just wonder what the trick is to KEEP it up im either gettin to the bp or right near it beacause im having to back off the throttle. But i always end up choppin it. So is my problem all about inexperience and i just gotta get used to it? BTW ive only been riding for about a month now maybe alittle more.

Is there anything you guys can suggest or do i just gotta learn throttle control? thanks.

Jason
Old 08-26-2004, 06:18 PM

JonnyJ is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Starting Standups (help)

Its all about being smooth, i practiced by myself all summer and I could only ride sitdowns for awhile (i didn't practice hard) i moved up to school and started riding with a friend and I've almost got first and 2nd standups down, i just need to get back a little farther but i can ride em pretty good now. You just need to get used to it comeing up and then be smooth the hole time. When i was first learning i would just driving around the parking lot and hop it time and time again till i got used to teh feeling that i just started getting it higher and one night BAM i got it. Another reason to be smooth is that once you do find the bp if your choppy it will induce wobble which sucks!
Old 08-26-2004, 06:38 PM

xRR-riderx is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by NovaMan
Hey guys whats up, still pretty fresh to the forums so i wanna give a formal greeting first :P

Now down to business, the last 4 days or so ive been practicing stand up wheelies (left foot back on passenger peg) im getting them up pretty good now in first on my CBR600 F2. Im just wonder what the trick is to KEEP it up im either gettin to the bp or right near it beacause im having to back off the throttle. But i always end up choppin it. So is my problem all about inexperience and i just gotta get used to it? BTW ive only been riding for about a month now maybe alittle more.

Is there anything you guys can suggest or do i just gotta learn throttle control? thanks.

Jason
your never as high as it feels like you are, have someone take a picture of you, youll be surprised that your not as high as you thought you were.. keep practicing, youll get it, and yoll know when you hit bp...
:YEAH
Old 08-26-2004, 06:42 PM

xRR-riderx is an unknown quantity at this point

Jason
read the sticky at the top of the forum, complete guide to learning wheelies..
Old 08-27-2004, 06:40 PM

Thanks for your input fella's, its like i thought it was all about feeling it out.
Old 08-27-2004, 07:42 PM

Kube is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by JonnyGSXR
Its all about being smooth, i practiced by myself all summer and I could only ride sitdowns for awhile (i didn't practice hard) i moved up to school and started riding with a friend and I've almost got first and 2nd standups down, i just need to get back a little farther but i can ride em pretty good now. You just need to get used to it comeing up and then be smooth the hole time. When i was first learning i would just driving around the parking lot and hop it time and time again till i got used to teh feeling that i just started getting it higher and one night BAM i got it. Another reason to be smooth is that once you do find the bp if your choppy it will induce wobble which sucks!
that was the same thing for me. i'm a weekend warrior of sorts so i've been practicing all summer and not making any progress, then one day it just clicked, well maybe half-clicked, all of a sudden i went from an occasional hop here and there to riding first gear all the way through overnight. i still need a lot of practice and i need to get my wheelies up higher so i dont tach out but it was a huge difference.
Old 08-27-2004, 09:38 PM

Squidmark is an unknown quantity at this point

haha, novaman is my bud from up here, i had him ride my bike and he got hooked. I've been lazy, but maybe I can get some more footage of you on yer bike this saturday, i gotta get some more tapes too. Oh well. :YEAH
Old 08-27-2004, 11:04 PM

GsxrMike is an unknown quantity at this point
Arrow Re: Starting Standups (help)

what the trick is to KEEP it up

is my problem all about inexperience and i just gotta get used to it?

Jason
Trick in holding wheelies is riding your wheelie behind bp, this requires some rear brake work.

Inexperience is part of your problem, and yes it takes a while to get used to wheelies.

Another thing that may help is running low pressure in your rear tire. I run mine between 5 and 10psi. Alot of people run 20 though and say they cant wheelie on flat tires like mine...
Old 08-27-2004, 11:23 PM

Got2josh is an unknown quantity at this point

real low pressure like 5-10 can be great for slow stuff, but you'll kill your tire riding around on the street or highway, especially is you hit a good bump, could pop the bead or give you a flat.
Old 08-28-2004, 01:22 PM

ive got a really bad rear tire, its a dunlop 207 i believe and i have it runnin at about 22 psi, but its really old semi cracked and bald as hell, it was on the bike when i bought it, im goin to order a new tire this weekend because its to the point where im startin to spin tryin to bring up my standups, i ride atleast once a day so i do alot of practicing, last night i rode a wheelie for about 4 seconds :YEAH

cant wait till im rockin them longer, but im in no hurry cause i dont wanna hurt myself, not that im afraid to... just dont want to lol

and benny we gotta bust out that camera now that i can do semi decent wheelies
Old 08-28-2004, 01:46 PM

Jaket is an unknown quantity at this point

try to keep that right leg on the brake, It's really hard to get the mind set to use that brake(I've been coasting with no throttle thinking it's gonna loop, but still I didn't use the brake). But finaly you just have to learn that. I feel that 1st gear wheelies are harder to control then second gear, even more if it's geared a little. first got more power and engine brake, I usually do standups on second. I clutch it up almoust at fast walking pace. With clutch it's easier to get up and more revs to run up to. I practice rear brake even when I'm not at BP, by using the brake to bring it down little before the limiter, just to get used to the brake usage. I also noticed that you should use the r-brake in traffic, it gets you familiar with it.

J
Old 08-28-2004, 01:50 PM

well my F2 is a tank to bring up in second, you gotta bounce the **** outa it for one but it does come up, Squidmark up there is bringin them up in second now, but he said it took him awhile to even relize they will come up in 2nd. and yeah thats what i hear is that 2nd is easier cause its not as "touchy" with the throttle. but you gotta start somewhere and 1st is what comes up for me right now :D second doesnt... ive tried a few times heh.
Old 08-28-2004, 07:51 PM

ToesToTheSun is an unknown quantity at this point

Definitely learn the rear brake control. I was posting in here about a month ago when I looped a mint *** bike. Learn now or pay later...

Good luck
Old 08-29-2004, 06:52 PM
FHL
I Chose to No Longer Post

FHL is a decent person

When you're doing second gear bounce it 3 times, on the 2nd bounce have 1 finger holding the clutch till it slips, blip the throttle and on the 3rd bounce dump the clutch and it'll come up. I had to do this with my GSX-R600 to get it up in second.

Second is less harsh on your fork seals too because there's less engine brake and the front wheel comes down slower allowing you to roll on the throttle as it comes back down.
Old 08-29-2004, 07:49 PM
Regular StuntLifer

RoadStainR6 is an unknown quantity at this point

or you could just stand up and clutch it once.... Gixxers don't struggle if you've got the right technique... bouncing it helps... but **** bouncin it three times? You'd look like you were having a f**kin retard seizure on the thing and by the time you were done jumpin up and down like an idiot you would have used up 3/4 of your road!
Old 08-29-2004, 08:23 PM
FHL
I Chose to No Longer Post

FHL is a decent person

You could just do it twice or once, but I find it easier myself to have one bounce to get it going, a second bounce for timing and to start to slip the clutch and a third as you dump the clutch.

It's a lot harder at my altitude, even the really good guys I was riding with would always have trouble with second gear, if you don't clutch it up to at least 10 o clok and go full throttle up to 11:30 it'll drop quick.
Old 08-30-2004, 03:42 AM

xraycatj is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by xRR-riderx
your never as high as it feels like you are, have someone take a picture of you, youll be surprised that your not as high as you thought you were.. keep practicing, youll get it, and yoll know when you hit bp...
:YEAH
I'm working on getting some pictures of myself. I'm not sure if ive hit BP yet but it feels 'loose' i guess. I just want to know how far back i can go and what it feels like cuz right now i get to that sketchy point and come right back down.
Old 08-30-2004, 03:43 AM

xraycatj is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by FHL
You could just do it twice or once, but I find it easier myself to have one bounce to get it going, a second bounce for timing and to start to slip the clutch and a third as you dump the clutch.

It's a lot harder at my altitude, even the really good guys I was riding with would always have trouble with second gear, if you don't clutch it up to at least 10 o clok and go full throttle up to 11:30 it'll drop quick.

stop giving advise little man.
Old 08-30-2004, 03:49 AM

JonnyJ is an unknown quantity at this point

If your having trouble bringing it up in second gear your bike. My ghetto *** stock f3 comes up like nothing in 2nd. No bounce needed just some clutch. I can bring it up in 3rd now with some bounce and clutch. I'm -1 +7 btw.