Tranny Probs???

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2004, 04:01 PM

bmschrad is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Tranny Probs???

My buddy has a 02 R6. Lately if you are in second gear and getting on it fairly hard when you hit 8,000 rpm it feels like the engine slips. We pulled the clutch fibers out and they looked like they were almost new !! We replaced them anyways because we had the new ones right there. Anyone have any insight to this problem it is very annoying and were not sure were to go from here . It only happens in 2nd gear at around 8,000 rpm and it just does it for a moment and then keeps going. The engine has about 12,000 miles on it and runs awesome other then in 2nd. Could it be possible its slipping into a false neutral and then kicking back in?
Old 08-09-2004, 04:18 PM
man whore

Ruff will become famous soon enough
Re: Tranny Probs???

Originally Posted by bmschrad
My buddy has a 02 R6. Lately if you are in second gear and getting on it fairly hard when you hit 8,000 rpm it feels like the engine slips. We pulled the clutch fibers out and they looked like they were almost new !! We replaced them anyways because we had the new ones right there. Anyone have any insight to this problem it is very annoying and were not sure were to go from here . It only happens in 2nd gear at around 8,000 rpm and it just does it for a moment and then keeps going. The engine has about 12,000 miles on it and runs awesome other then in 2nd. Could it be possible its slipping into a false neutral and then kicking back in?
Sounds like a tranny problem... possibly your shift fork is bent. I had the same problem on my 750. Stuffed a new tranny in there... and now its good as new.
Old 08-09-2004, 04:31 PM

Originally Posted by Ruff Ryder TX
Sounds like a tranny problem... possibly your shift fork is bent. I had the same problem on my 750. Stuffed a new tranny in there... and now its good as new.
Thats what I'm thinking is the shift fork. Could it possibly be the springs on the clutch basket. The odd part it that it only happens in 2nd that is what leads me to belive that it is a shift fork. Any suggestions on how to test this theory would be greatly appreciated.
Old 08-09-2004, 04:47 PM
man whore

Ruff will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by bmschrad
Thats what I'm thinking is the shift fork. Could it possibly be the springs on the clutch basket. The odd part it that it only happens in 2nd that is what leads me to belive that it is a shift fork. Any suggestions on how to test this theory would be greatly appreciated.
Well..since my clutch was pretty fresh and since I also knew the 750's were notorious for 2nd gear problems I just went ahead and got an 03 tranny off ebay and had it stuffed in... while they had the motor dropped they checked everything else to make sure that was the problem.... It ended up being a bent fork and 2nd and 6th gear no good. Kinda an expensive trouble shoot but its the only thing I could think of to do.
Old 08-10-2004, 12:14 AM
Lb3

Lb3 is an unknown quantity at this point

if 2nd is slipping due to a bent shift fork, you still have to replace 2nd gear and the gear it mates with. Once the gears slip, they are done.

Also, if its slipping but only doing it in second, its second gear. Not the clutch. If it were the clutch it would do it in every gear.
Old 08-10-2004, 08:58 AM

Originally Posted by Lb3
if 2nd is slipping due to a bent shift fork, you still have to replace 2nd gear and the gear it mates with. Once the gears slip, they are done.

Also, if its slipping but only doing it in second, its second gear. Not the clutch. If it were the clutch it would do it in every gear.
That makes since thanx. I can only imagine how hard it is to replace the gears in the transmission.
Old 08-10-2004, 01:50 PM

KungFu954 is an unknown quantity at this point

Ok chief,

Listen to me now cause I got some bad news for ya. Your buddies Yamaha has worn transmission gear dogs. It's not a probably it is a almost certainly. What caused it was clutchless shifting, that I can almost gauranty. I tried to worn people at the begining of the year but you cant' reach everyone.
So, you can do it your self but it's gonna be time consuming and a serious pain in the ****. The good news is if you chose to do it your self you'll learn a ton about the bike.
Here is what happened. During the clutchless shift the transmission still has power going to it (not useing the clutch to take the power away) so when those gears get "slipped" into each other the are spinning at an extrodinary rate with tons of power. So over time the female gear dos have worn down by about 15 to 20 percent and more than likely rounded the edges too. So at a good rpm there is not enough steel to hold them together and they momentarily pop out of gear when that happens you instantaniously ground down the shift fork that was holding it, and sadly more than likely put a giant notch in the transmission drum. from the impact on the shift fork. Tell him to stop riding it imediatly because he might not have damaged the shift fork shaft or the transmission drum yet, you may save a 100 bucks or so. Your gonna need a service manual a lot of time to plan, about 400 to 500 bucks for parts.
I can give you some advice since I have done this all before but your bike is different than mine so some things will be different. If you take it to a shop your looking at a minium of 1500 to do the job but more likly 2000.00 plus and I doubt they will do it right. It can be done but probably not before the summer is over. I say save the thousand bucks and do it yourself. Post back if you want more info.
Like I said, this is not a guess, this is a fact. I can almost promise you that's what it is. Sorry
Old 08-10-2004, 01:54 PM

Oh ya,
If you just replace the shift fork as said above, which I did too when it happend to mine, I was like oh quick fix, hell no the shift fork doesn't get ground down on it's own, I went through 2 right shift forks before I realized it by the way they are about 70.00 a pop. It may fix it for about 500 miles but that's about it. again sorry.

Like I said though the good noews is you'll learn a ton about inline fours and how they work, plus if you do a really good job it will run perfect next year and if your like me, as long as you got the engine apart,,,upgrade, then it will run even better
Old 08-10-2004, 01:57 PM

If you want a step by step how too, I'll write one up this weekend for ya.

In the mean time PLease please please stop riding it. k it will get worse.
Old 08-10-2004, 02:09 PM

Actually talked to a mechanic in Detroit and he says that its proly just the clutch springs. We are getting a full Barnett clutch kit - Springs, fibers, and steels for like $110. It dosen't drop out of gear it just slips for a moment then picks right back up. From what I hear if its a gear or a shift fork problem you will hear a grinding noise and you will have to shift it back into second. Thanks for all the help though, I'll keep this thread updated after we get the new clutch kit in.
Old 08-10-2004, 02:22 PM

if it is Kudos,

Here is an easy way to tell when you get on it hard does it slowly slip out or does it feel like you got a false nuetral for a split second.

If the bike feels like you somehow didn't positivly shift into second then there ya go plus why would the clutch only act up in one gear,,,think about it.

I seiously doubt its the springs. But hey what do i know.
Old 08-10-2004, 03:27 PM

Joey D is a decent person

2nd gear is shot. My boy's got the same bike, and it's in the shop right now. Did the exact same thing as you described when I rode it. They've had it for 2 weeks now, and it looks like it'll be another 2 before they get it done. And yea, it's costing him like $1400 for the job. Hopefully that's not what's wrong with his, but I'm guessing it's the same thing.
Old 08-10-2004, 06:03 PM
I Enjoy Posting At StuntLife!

bill parr is an unknown quantity at this point

ok, chances are these guys are right...but....beleive it or not your metal clutch plates are just as important as your fibers. same thing happened on my 900rr. if the metals were blued at all and i mean at all, change them first. if they are blued it means they are worn and if they are blued when they are cold it means they were over heated, and they get bluer when they are hot. when the plates get hot and "blue" they loose the friction you need and it will also cause your bike to slip and have a slipping feeling at higher rpms and when you get on it because they can not grab properly under load anymore, eventually they will go all the way, just check that first b4 you go ripping your motor apart. if your lucky, thats what it is, a 140.00 fix over prob. a 500.00 job if you have to do the shift forks and dogs. and 500 is lowball if you do all the work yourself, then your talking full engine gasket set, another 200.00, then as long as you have it apart you might as well replace 2nd and prob. 3rd gear....so yeah, check the metal clutch plates first....trust me....i have seen this on several other bikes as well. let me know what the outcome is...
Old 08-10-2004, 10:31 PM

Still torn on if its the clutch or the gear. I know he never shifted it without the clutch. Hell he never even does wheelies. It also is odd that if it is the gear why dosen't it grind, have problems shifting into second, only slip momentarily and pick back up. I think I will go with the Barnett clutch kit and pray that solves the problem. It feels like the right thing to do at this time. I can't thank everyone enough for taking the time and adding their input

Originally Posted by Rumpshaker
2nd gear is shot. My boy's got the same bike, and it's in the shop right now. Did the exact same thing as you described when I rode it. They've had it for 2 weeks now, and it looks like it'll be another 2 before they get it done. And yea, it's costing him like $1400 for the job. Hopefully that's not what's wrong with his, but I'm guessing it's the same thing.
Old 08-10-2004, 10:39 PM

catach42 is an unknown quantity at this point

if it was the clutch it would slip in every gear...i had an 01 yzf600r and i went thru two 2nd gears...trust me, they suck. i got an 00 r6 now cuz i got an awesome deal on it, i shift rite past 2nd every time
Old 08-11-2004, 05:17 AM
Scrapes Elbow

Wheeliest is a name known to allWheeliest is a name known to allWheeliest is a name known to allWheeliest is a name known to allWheeliest is a name known to allWheeliest is a name known to all

http://www.madmanbiker.com/ they sell 99 r1 engines for 1600$, might wanna give them a call on how much for a 02 r6 engine.
Old 08-11-2004, 07:29 AM
I Enjoy Posting At StuntLife!

bill parr is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by catach42
if it was the clutch it would slip in every gear...i had an 01 yzf600r and i went thru two 2nd gears...trust me, they suck. i got an 00 r6 now cuz i got an awesome deal on it, i shift rite past 2nd every time
my 900rr only slipped 1st thru 3rd when my steels went badm gearing is taller 4th through 6th so the force wasnt as great.
Old 08-11-2004, 04:30 PM

I've done more research on the subject and it looks like r6's second gears are junk!! You are right they blow 2nd gears like they are going out of style. It looks like we are going to rip the whole engine apart. Any pics or write ups you could give me would be greatly appreciated.
Old 02-10-2010, 03:50 PM

Robey14 is a decent person

99-02 r6s are notorious for second gear problems because the gears only had three dogs, yamaha fixed the problem in 03 by changing to a 5 dog which makes a much smoother better shift, he is waisting his money on the clutch parts, he should find and entire transmission from and 03-04 r6 and swap(its a direct swap) them out and he wont have another problem again