first time clutching it up = clutch problems

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2004, 07:26 PM

Lucas is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: first time clutching it up = clutch problems

is my bike still under warranty if im not the original owner? and do i need any special papers if it still is?
Old 04-28-2004, 07:28 PM
I Enjoy Posting At StuntLife!

RR_Rick is a decent person

did you buy it from a dealer?
Old 04-28-2004, 08:31 PM

nope i bought it privately
Old 04-29-2004, 07:48 PM

Sneak is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey dude the same exact thing happened to me. However it was after I got a new clutch. I burned up my old clutch and got a new one. I gave it an easy 500 miles. Then I started to do power wheelies. My clutch was set to catch right off the handle bar. Then after I came down the catch point was almost all the way out. I told the mechanic and he said that the clutch might not have setteled in the clutch basket. I just adjusted the clutch **** and now the clutch works perfect. Hasnt changed friction point in about 50 wheelie tries...
Old 04-29-2004, 09:38 PM

emcc421 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by gixboy600
ok so today i went out and practiced clutching it up. i was sitting in first gear practically from a dead stop every time. i would rev it up and dump the clutch. it would come up ever time some i dont think i was just burning the clutch up. but now when i let out the clutch it catches way later than it used to. i catches real quick when the lever is almost all the way out. my question is: is the clutch burnt out? is the clutch cable stretched? do i just need to adjust the clutch lever? please help me out guys, not sure exactly whats going on with it

If your clutch is F***ed it'll slip at high revs - should be easy to tell. Might have heated it up enough to stretch the cable a bit though - let it cool down and adjust it until it's somewhat tight, that way when you are slipping it/popping it there should still be enough tension to do the job...... but on a gixxer ya shoouldn't have to clutch it up, just roll on slow and open her up and she should lift - after that just keep accellerating and changing up, should stay standing tall.
Old 04-30-2004, 04:08 PM

snowrunner1477 is an unknown quantity at this point

i have the same bike , same year and the same problem. I was out practicing and after clutching second for a while it did the same thing. the clutch felt funnny and when on the power the revs would rise like the tire was spinning but it wasnt. SOme people said the clutch was gone and to replace it. another friend said it was just getting too hot from repeated clutching. so i waited on the replacement and the next day it was fine. it does however have a tendancy to do it again if you clutch it repeatedly, but it is always works fine the next day. so i try to clutch second less and just power first and shift on the fly
Old 05-01-2004, 12:03 AM

wow glad to here finally some people have the same problem as me and know what is going on. it def isnt the clutch burning out. my bike is all good now after doing a little adjusting. i really hope it doesnt start happening again or i might take it to a shop to get it totally fixed or whatever cause right now im working on slow wheelies from practically a dead stop. after i practice again well see what happens, but i def dont want this to be a reoccuring theme
Old 05-01-2004, 03:43 PM
back in the saddle again

binder929rr is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by emcc421
but on a gixxer ya shoouldn't have to clutch it up, just roll on slow and open her up and she should lift - after that just keep accellerating and changing up, should stay standing tall.
go to www.powerwheelielife.com cause we don't do that junk here.

he's talking about slow wheelies, if you can just roll on throttle in a parking lot and start shifting gears then you are a god. clutch is the safest and best way.

back to the topic, i have 19k crazy beaten miles on my 929 and original clutch. Sounds like you might have been dragging the clutch a little when you were clutching them up. You need to get off the clutch asap so it just engages and doesn't slip too hard. Also, my team mate burned his up because he didn't have enough slack in the clutch cable and it was causing a little bit of pressure on the clutch. make sure you have plenty of slack cause if the cable is tight it's going to allow your clutch to slip which will burn it up fast.
Old 05-02-2004, 12:44 AM

hmmm i dont quite know what you are talking about the slack on the cable but i will mention it to my friend who is more knowledgable and he can help me out. now i have yet to adjust my rear break so that it is comfortable, and this being my first time clutching them up it was weird having it come up so fast. alot of time i would let the clutch out and pull it back in to come down.

i still dont think it is the actual clutch burning up. after talking to the other guys that went throught the same thing, they said it wasnt either
Old 05-02-2004, 01:40 AM
back in the saddle again

slack means when you pull the clutch, just with light pressure the clutch lever should move in and out before the cable tightens up. that's "free play"

make sure you have enough of that. it's suppose to be at the very end of the lever, 1/2" free play. so the ball should move 1/2" back before the cable tightens.
Old 05-02-2004, 12:46 PM

oh ok i def have that then. my lever moves just about a half inch before you really have to pull it it, its just kindof jiggly.
Old 05-02-2004, 01:08 PM
back in the saddle again

Originally Posted by gixboy600
oh ok i def have that then. my lever moves just about a half inch before you really have to pull it it, its just kindof jiggly.
yep, that's what the book says to have for free play.
Old 05-02-2004, 07:08 PM

yeah now i need to go out and practice and see if it happens again, i really need these slow wheelies down, my goal by the end of the summer is to 12
Old 05-13-2004, 12:43 PM
Regular StuntLifer

NYCr6Nukka is an unknown quantity at this point

try adjusting the clutch cable
Old 05-13-2004, 12:59 PM

zuk_rydr is an unknown quantity at this point

I did the same thing but I actually fried the clutch. Anyway I put in a new Barnett clutch last night and I am having a mother of a time getting the damn thing adjusted right. To get it where there is free play in the lever the clutch starts grabbing less than 1/2 inch off the bar. I can't clutch anything with it that close b/c I can't fit any fingers under the lever. When I adjusted the lever so that I could hold on the the bar and clutch with my index finger( very hard now b/c the Barnett springs are stiff as fack) the damn thing slips when I get on it b/c there is now play in the lever. Right now I have it so I won't slip but I really can't clutch up my wheelies at all. Is there another adjustment for the length of pull or am I going to have to get an aftermarket lever? Help me out...this sucks!
Old 05-14-2004, 09:05 AM

zuk_rydr is an unknown quantity at this point

I got it worked out last night. You have to take the jutter springs out when you are using a Barnett clutch. I was wondering why they sent me 2 extra plates. That clutch is sweet! A little stiff for my taste but it is hella crisp.

Oh yeah, thanks for all the help.
Old 05-20-2004, 04:10 PM

KungFu954 is an unknown quantity at this point

You were probably not letting all the way out but it felt like it at first so ya you probably went through it. Get a Barnett Carbon Fiber plate kit from hardracing.com they are the bomb and they last and last and last, you won't have that problem again. good news is they won't cost much and its easy to install I have an 02 954 and I heard that for some reason a few 954s out there where having clutch life probs I never had any i just upgraded cuase the life on the carbon fiber is a ton longer.
Bad news is I doubt they will replace the clutch on warranty unless you really raise hell.
Get a sevice manual and the carbon kit,,,,its actually one of the easiest jobs and fun too, you'll start to learn a hellava lot more about the bike.

If you have any questions E-mail me DusttoDustt@aol.com I can prolly do that job with my eyes closed.