Doing a stand up wheelie & shifting

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2003, 09:03 AM

melampus is an unknown quantity at this point
Arrow NICKBOB...

Yo bro. I don't understand how you are getting some of these responses, but whatever. The kid wants help shifting in stand-ups... that's it. I find that it is easiest for me to make the shifts if I bias my weight almost entirely on the right peg (on the ball of my right foot) and then my heel sort of digs into the bike (I'm guessing behind the rear-set) making a secure footing, and then that allows very little weight on my left foot. When you have no weight on your shift-foot it should be very easy to select the next gear because you can move it around on the peg freely. I situate the left peg on the in-step of my left foot, and the shifts are a breeze. My dillema is that when changing lanes I have to have the ***** of my feet on the pegs to steer. Then it is a little harder to re-bias my weight on the pegs, but I'm getting more comfortable moving around when up at BP.

Hope that helps. At least it actually addresses your question w/o the rhetoric.
Old 12-08-2003, 09:54 AM

grasshopperrr is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: NICKBOB...

Originally posted by melampus
Yo bro. I don't understand how you are getting some of these responses, but whatever. The kid wants help shifting in stand-ups... that's it. I find that it is easiest for me to make the shifts if I bias my weight almost entirely on the right peg (on the ball of my right foot) and then my heel sort of digs into the bike (I'm guessing behind the rear-set) making a secure footing, and then that allows very little weight on my left foot. When you have no weight on your shift-foot it should be very easy to select the next gear because you can move it around on the peg freely. I situate the left peg on the in-step of my left foot, and the shifts are a breeze. My dillema is that when changing lanes I have to have the ***** of my feet on the pegs to steer. Then it is a little harder to re-bias my weight on the pegs, but I'm getting more comfortable moving around when up at BP.

Hope that helps. At least it actually addresses your question w/o the rhetoric.
That sounds like a plan to me. I'm going to concentrate on keeping my weight on my right foot more now. But I know that weight is going to have to be compensated in some way shape or form by leaning my body weight to the left. If I have all my weight on my right foot then the bike is going to want to go right. So, lets see here... weight on right foot... lean left to keep wheelie straight while standing up.... shift into 3rd gear.... Yea thats it!

Peace out...

Thanks for the responses,

Now send some of that warm Flordia air up here to Chicago.
Old 12-08-2003, 03:57 PM

melampus is an unknown quantity at this point
Arrow NICKBOB...

The amount of lean that you will have to use to offset the right peg weight bias should be equivalent to what you are already unconsciously doing when riding wheelies w/the wheel turned. It shouldn't be a problem for you. I wouldn't suggest lifting the wheelie while THINKING about the weight bias though as the lift might stray. I always try to break new things down step by step to be able to focus entirely in the stunt. Lift it up, and once you're situated then start practicing changing weight bias on the pegs. This should help you start steering the stand-ups, too. You'll notice how the bike reacts when you start moving your weight on the pegs, and as you already know you will have to counter. Once you can keep it straight; then you can start steering on purpose. Hope I was helpful.

Oh and uh, about the "warm air"... it was 40 on Saturday night...
But it's 70 now...!

Last edited by melampus; 12-08-2003 at 04:00 PM.
Old 12-08-2003, 04:41 PM

grasshopperrr is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: NICKBOB...

Originally posted by melampus
The amount of lean that you will have to use to offset the right peg weight bias should be equivalent to what you are already unconsciously doing when riding wheelies w/the wheel turned. It shouldn't be a problem for you. I wouldn't suggest lifting the wheelie while THINKING about the weight bias though as the lift might stray. I always try to break new things down step by step to be able to focus entirely in the stunt. Lift it up, and once you're situated then start practicing changing weight bias on the pegs. This should help you start steering the stand-ups, too. You'll notice how the bike reacts when you start moving your weight on the pegs, and as you already know you will have to counter. Once you can keep it straight; then you can start steering on purpose. Hope I was helpful.

Oh and uh, about the "warm air"... it was 40 on Saturday night...
But it's 70 now...!
I'll be at Daytona then FT. Myers in March.

Thanks for the tips bro

Ride fast and swerve
Old 12-08-2003, 04:41 PM

IMR-Merlin is a decent person
Shifting

This is what I do, hope it helps. I power up in first and just before balance point on the way up, I drop into 2nd. I also keep upward pressure on the shifter (my 2nd gear sux) so that it wont drop out when I go 1 handed. then you just shift as usual. I have noticed that some peeps suggested moving your shifter. this might help.
Like I said...
Hope that helps