wheelies

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2003, 04:53 PM

tension-ez is an unknown quantity at this point
Question wheelies

I've been riding for two seasons and still can't wheelie So many people tell me a different way to get the front up...What the easiest way to wheelie?
Old 10-11-2003, 05:01 PM
I Love To Post!

Sean24 is an unknown quantity at this point
you cant wheelie a TL1000????????
Old 10-11-2003, 05:12 PM

I'm riding a YZF600 the Tl is coming soon
Old 10-12-2003, 06:05 PM

Dave W is an unknown quantity at this point
Hey i'm pretty new to the art of poppin' wheelies myself but i can finally manage to do it pretty much on command. They could be bigger, and i hope to eventually ride them out for longer, but i can at least do it allright. Anyway, you asked the easiest way to do it...i ride a zx6R and can do it one of two ways....using the clutch or just commin on hard...real hard on the thorttle. That's how i first managed to get it up, and it's come up high enough for me to see the front wheel spinning while i'm sitting just from the throttle. I really think doin it off the throttle is the easiest way to learn it. For some reason even though i was tryin to wheelie i always had a natural reaction to lean FOWARD while attempting to lift the front end, this had a real negative impact on my ability to wheelie. Once i started shifting my weight back farther, getting the bike into it's powerband, and just opening the throttle it wheelied just fine. I just about sh** myself a couple times when it came up real high, the front end just kept climbing higher and higher as long as the RPM's were rising. But it's what worked for me. I can do it with the clutch now, in 1st and 2nd, and it's definatly more controlled. I just slip in the clutch around 25-30mph so that the RPM's soar and then let it out quickly and open it full throttle while giving the handle bars a little jerk. Works perfectly. I think the real thing that holds people (myself included) back from popping a good wheelie is the fear of getting hurt...once you manage to put that behind you and just concentrate on what your doin i think that helps out more than anything. I still get a little sketched but trying to not get scared helps out alot. Honestly the first time i pulled a wheelie that could be considered a real wheelie was goin up a hill, not really the safest thing to do...but it's easy haha. When you go up a hill there's allready weight shifted to the back of the bike and if you just crack open the throttle hard while going up a hill i promise you that your bike will pop a wheelie. There is a definate likleyhood that you could loop the bike if you dont put it down fast or learn to balance. But if you wanna see what it feels like to clearly be riding on one wheel, well, that's how i did it. I can do it on flat pavement no problem now but that's how i first did it. I cant say i recommend it too much though. Regardless of where you attempt it just dont forget the back break, and if it comes up too high chop the throttle. Good luck man.
Old 10-12-2003, 10:06 PM

ZxR_BoYz is an unknown quantity at this point
for me i ve been riding a 400 for a few months now and i get advise on using the clutch but it aint easy.......
think its much easier on a bigger bike....
still new coz its actually my first bike and i really wanna feel being on one wheel.....hehehe
so any advise on how to wheelie on a 400.......
thanks........
Old 10-13-2003, 12:22 AM

Thanx for the advice DW
Old 10-14-2003, 12:46 PM

Dave W is an unknown quantity at this point
Hey no problem Tension you popped any good wheelies yet?

ZxR that 400 you have can be wheelied no problem, probaly the clutch is the best way to do it too. I think the real challenge, like i said in my earlier post is overcomming the fear of wiping out. Somewhere on this site i read someones post explaining how to slip the clutch for a wheelie. The guy said to use one finger and pull in the clutch untill it touches your other fingers holding the grip. That sounded like an excellant description as to how far you should slip the clutch. Just do that and get the RPMs way up there and then let out the clutch while givin the bike close to, if not full throttle. Let the clutch out fast though, the bike should come up....if it doesnt come up high lean back farther, or preload the shocks a little and tug up on the handle bars when you pop the clutch. Or like i said earlier try goin up a hill in first and just crackin open the throttle as your goin up it. Its not the safest thing but i'm almost positive that you will lift the front end doin it that way...i guess it's a good way to at least know what to expect when your doin a wheelie, like how fast the bike comes up, stability, and just the general feeling of bein on one wheel. The steeper the incline you do it on the higher and easier the front will come up. Just keep that in mind, and that it's a mixed blessing. You dont wanna loop your bike on a steep hill. But if done right i'm positive your front end will lift. Just cover the back break! This is how i first managed to wheelie. I know it's frustrating not bein able to pull off a good wheelie when you see that group of hotties walkin down the street or when the little kids on the block tell you to LOL but with practice it'll happen. Good luck!