Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2007, 04:59 AM

DirtyToes is a decent person
Re: clutch slipping

holy ****!

just finished openin the clutct.

WARNING: what you are about to see may shock you
;
these are the 11th and the 13th plate counting from the outside. its one side of one steel plate, and one side of one friction plate. the rest of them look fine/new(i think...look at the last pic)

WHAT THE **** would cause something like this? they look like rotors for ***** sake!

what do i do?

Old 10-24-2007, 05:28 AM

here are some more pics:

someone please clarify which one the "basket" is....is it the one with 5 threaded holes in it, or the one with gears around it? in other/simpler words, is it the first 3 pics, or the last?

are these considered "grooves" ? (Serious question)

Old 10-24-2007, 05:46 AM

after readin page 1 again, you guys made it pretty clear which one is basket is..(the first 3 pics)...i understand it now that i have everything open in front of me.

i'm gonna call the dealer tomorrow and order:
1x steel plate
1x fiction plate
1x clutch basket

i already bought one of these off ebay:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Honda...spagenameZWD1V
...and already received it.

any point in swapin that out too?

ps. how do i loosen the basket...manual says i need a "clutch center holder"...is there any other way?
Old 10-24-2007, 07:07 AM

still, is the inner clutch responsible for makin my steels look like rotors? or can it be anything else?

and how do i take off the "clutch lock nut"?

Last edited by DirtyToes; 10-24-2007 at 07:28 AM.
Old 10-24-2007, 01:23 PM
also known as OMR

old man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for rep

well i cant tell any thing from those pictures except that you smoked your brand new clutch.....

maybe if you better understand how the clutch works you will be able to figure out why it smoked.....

the steels are fixed by the grooves to the grooved inner and the fibers are fixed by the grooves to the grooved outer basket and when the clutch lever is released that allows the springs to hold the fibers tight against the steels and that lets the tranny turn but when the clutch lever is pulled in the tension on the fibers and steels is released so the steels and the fibers are seperated and the tranny no longer turnes if there isnt pressure holding the steels and fiber together your clutch will slip so if some thing is sticking and keeping the two from mating tight and firm then you will have slipage......hope that helps
Old 10-25-2007, 03:35 PM

Originally Posted by old man roger
well i cant tell any thing from those pictures except that you smoked your brand new clutch.....

maybe if you better understand how the clutch works you will be able to figure out why it smoked.....

the steels are fixed by the grooves to the grooved inner and the fibers are fixed by the grooves to the grooved outer basket and when the clutch lever is released that allows the springs to hold the fibers tight against the steels and that lets the tranny turn but when the clutch lever is pulled in the tension on the fibers and steels is released so the steels and the fibers are seperated and the tranny no longer turnes if there isnt pressure holding the steels and fiber together your clutch will slip so if some thing is sticking and keeping the two from mating tight and firm then you will have slipage......hope that helps
ur rite mang, unfortunately

i was forced to order a whole new clutch set.

i also had to open up the oil pan yesterday to clean out my pickup from all the oil shavings.

which resulted me in doing the same did a year ago when installing mr ryan smith's pickup...."broke a header stud"...again!

i'm gonna go buy an extractor, hope it gets dis **** out!

Last edited by DirtyToes; 10-25-2007 at 03:39 PM.
Old 10-25-2007, 03:52 PM
also known as OMR

old man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for rep

man your having some luck with that thing.....

if you can't grab the end of the header stud with a pair of vise grips then i suggest you drill it out with a left handed drill bit because some times the heat of drilling it will let the drill bit turn out the stud then if that doesn't work you will have to use an easy out but be carefull not to snap the easy out off in there because they are made of some hard **** and drilling those out is a bitch........
Old 10-25-2007, 08:50 PM

man your having some luck with that thing.....

if you can't grab the end of the header stud with a pair of vise grips then i suggest you drill it out with a left handed drill bit because some times the heat of drilling it will let the drill bit turn out the stud then if that doesn't work you will have to use an easy out but be carefull not to snap the easy out off in there because they are made of some hard **** and drilling those out is a bitch........
already tried the vise grips with no luck. and yes, they were craftsman vise gips

i have a drill that tuns both way, but i think i gotta get a left handed drill bit?

...if that doesn't work, i got referred to this one guy today w/ a machine shop that said could def. get it out for $45....so if all fails, i'm gonna take it there tomorrow 8am.
Old 10-26-2007, 07:37 AM

here is an update:
still not having fixed the last broken header stud, i snapped not one, but two spring bolts...i was supposed to torque them to 9fp, and i usually do it in three steps....ie 3, 5, then 9.....i was doing 5fp, the first 3 spring went okay, on the forth bolt, the head snapped, and same on the 5th. and that was only 5ft...WTF?! ...faulty torque wrench?

it took me about the past hour to get those things out but i did, finally. now i juss gotta go buy extra bolts...6x28.

are they special bolts or can i just pick 'em up from home depot? (i know home depot carries em...but the material they're made of...are they special for heat/clutches?)
Old 10-26-2007, 03:00 PM
also known as OMR

i don't think they are special bolts just get a good quality grade 8 bolt and you should be good

and yes left handed drill bits are different then regular drill bits

craftsman vise grips suck a dick ,vise grip brand vise grips are the only way to go
Old 10-26-2007, 04:21 PM

i don't think they are special bolts just get a good quality grade 8 bolt and you should be good

and yes left handed drill bits are different then regular drill bits

craftsman vise grips suck a dick ,vise grip brand vise grips are the only way to go

i just dropped off the bike at a machine shop, n' they're gonna try n' get that **** out.

i'm gonna look around to see if i can find the OEM bolt...cause it's a bolt and a washer, and the washer is a part of the bolt.

...and i'm kinda hesitant about buying a bolt from home depot and puttin it inside my motor...
Old 10-27-2007, 08:08 AM

went to a motorcycle salvage yard today n' went through their bolt box (huge box)

after roughly 15-30 minutes of searching, i found three 1-to-1 matching bolts. one said 7 on it, another said 4, and the last didn't say anything, and it looked like the OEM ones(matched color too)...so i just used the last one.

put my clutch in and took the bike for a spin, i love !it! new clutch rules! i popped 1 ss(couldn't resist), and holy ****, it was so smooth and just stayed up on its own.

p.s. how many miles should i wait to brake it in? in other words, how long should i wait until i start poppin wheelies?