replacing an R1 stator

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2007, 10:44 AM

JohnnyP is a decent person
Re: replacing an R1 stator

Originally Posted by MR. RYAN SMITH
Replacing A Stator On A R1 Is Not A Simple Task, I Would Take It To A Shop. It Is A Really Bad Design And You Will Not Be Able To Just Un-bolt It And Bolt Another One On. If You Owned A Honda Or Suzuki It Would Be A Simple Swap.
Its not that much harder so its behind the rotor, big deal...remove the rotor then remove the stator.....
Old 05-30-2007, 11:08 AM

skinnyR! is a decent person

Originally Posted by JohnnyP
Its not that much harder so its behind the rotor, big deal...remove the rotor then remove the stator.....
You have to pull the flywheel. The stator is behind it.

Stators go like clockwork on R1's at 25,000 miles. I changed mine on my 03 r1. There is a thread on the r1 forum that outlines changing it. You are going to need a three arm puller to get the flywheel off, no way around it. The flywheel is simply pressed onto a tapered shaft, the crank. No keyway, so you can imagine that that mother ****** is on there good.

You will need to modify the puller to go into the holes on the flywheel, being carefull not to mangle the flywheel or the end of the crankshaft. Yamaha might make a puller, im not really sure.

The hardest part is getting the flywheel off, everything else is cake.
Old 05-30-2007, 11:13 AM

Originally Posted by skinnyR!
You have to pull the flywheel. The stator is behind it.

Stators go like clockwork on R1's at 25,000 miles. I changed mine on my 03 r1. There is a thread on the r1 forum that outlines changing it. You are going to need a three arm puller to get the flywheel off, no way around it. The flywheel is simply pressed onto a tapered shaft, the crank. No keyway, so you can imagine that that mother ****** is on there good.

You will need to modify the puller to go into the holes on the flywheel, being carefull not to mangle the flywheel or the end of the crankshaft. Yamaha might make a puller, im not really sure.

The hardest part is getting the flywheel off, everything else is cake.
This I already know bud, like I said its behind the rotor/flywheel Yamaha calls it a "ROTOR ASSEMBLY" but you can call if flywheel if you like

A jaw type puller might work but is not the proper tool for removing a rotor/flywheel....The centre of the rotor/flywheel is threaded, what you do is remove the bolt holdin it onto the shaft. Then use the proper threaded puller (or simply a very strong bolt with the right thread size and pitch)to pop it off the shaft.

Done it before many times not on an a 2000 R1 specifaiclly, but thier all basically the same...And yes they are pressed on pretty tight

Last edited by JohnnyP; 05-30-2007 at 11:15 AM.
Old 05-30-2007, 11:29 AM

MR. RYAN SMITH is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by JohnnyP
IVE DONE PLENTY OF THEM, BUT FOR THIS GUY WHO DOESNT KNOW WHICH SIDE ITS ON ITS GOING TO BE DIFFICULT. THE LAST TWO IVE DONE TOOK A MASSIVE AMOUNT OF HEAT, I DIDNT THINK THEY WERE EVER GOING TO BUST LOOSE.
Old 05-30-2007, 11:38 AM

Originally Posted by MR. RYAN SMITH
IVE DONE PLENTY OF THEM, BUT FOR THIS GUY WHO DOESNT KNOW WHICH SIDE ITS ON ITS GOING TO BE DIFFICULT. THE LAST TWO IVE DONE TOOK A MASSIVE AMOUNT OF HEAT, I DIDNT THINK THEY WERE EVER GOING TO BUST LOOSE.
I hear ya its not the easiest thing to do, and your probably right....If he doenst know what side its on hes better off takin it to someone that does...

When I do them I try to do it quick while the bike is still hot. All the expansion from constantly heating up and cooling down of the crank tends to really stick those rotors to the taper...They all POP! off but some of them take alot of force and really POP OFF!....
Old 05-30-2007, 11:59 AM

de1xpoet is a decent person

jesus this sounds like a nightmare!
Old 05-30-2007, 12:00 PM

i sold this bike to a good friend, as soon as he buys it this happens, so i told him i would help him
Old 05-30-2007, 12:00 PM

this sucks
Old 05-30-2007, 12:05 PM

dizzie56 is an unknown quantity at this point

go to yamaha, buy a service manual, then do it urself. im lucky, my bike was easy to do
Old 05-30-2007, 12:06 PM

i think that is a damn good idea
Old 06-06-2007, 09:50 AM

well after trouble shooting the issue, it ended up being a bad connection between the Stator, and the Rectifier......a very cheap fix
Old 07-08-2007, 06:11 PM

racer_inBrockto is a decent person

your stator is on the Left side. You will need to take all 9 allen bolts off the stator cover. You will need a 16mm x 1.5mm puller hardened grade 8 bolt to pull the flywheel off, but good luck sometimes these things are so stcu on these models (poor desing by yamaha) that you might have to HEAD THE FLYWHEEL to get it off while usung an Ipamct wrench and the puller bolt. You then DO need a new gasket and about 2 qts of oil or whatever it takes to restore lost oil during the job.

hope this helps.