trying to get lift off..

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2003, 02:24 AM

BlueCeez is an unknown quantity at this point
trying to get lift off..

I have an older model GSXR 750 ( 90 ' ) and I want to start crackin wheelies on it, but I'm having a hard time getting lift off, any advice someone can give me..??
Old 05-13-2003, 08:00 PM

Burt The Hurt is an unknown quantity at this point
lift off

I have a GSXR 1100 ('91) and what I can tell you is practice, I know that is what everyone says but last year my wheelies were sh*t I could get it up about a foot and a half off the ground then back down. I practiced bouncing and now I can go through first gear entirley. Stand-ups tend to be easier than sit-downs so I would suggest that, when you first start bouncing get it to 5K rpms and bounce, don't lift up or rev it yet just get the bouncing down and do a mock turn of the throddle. When you get the timing right try for a little air, blip the throddle but try to keep your front wheel strait, you will feel the steering get loose when the front wheel is up but don't turn it, it could be disasterous. Remember not to be discoranged by seeing people that can do it better or easier, just don't worry about them worry about yourself. When you get the small ones down, give it more throddle, you will get scared but try not to chop the throddle off, instead let it out slowly. Once you get so you can get it fairly high try for distance, give a little more throddle and don't lean foreward, you will tend to do that to, but if you want distance you will have to lean back a bit. keep doing this and you will get it eventually, it took me over two solid hours for me to get where I am so don't give up, you can only get better. just don't push yourself past your limits and you will get it.

My man Digler from Northern Insanity told me after seeing what I have learned that I am doing twice as good as he did when he first started out, and no-one here may know him but he is very good at what he does.

Now go out there and tear it up, I'll see you on one wheel!
Old 05-14-2003, 12:14 AM

Kary SSB is an unknown quantity at this point
I used to have a '96 katana 750 which was kinda similar to the power to weight ratio that you are dealing with. What I had to do to get mine to wheelie was to run it up in first gear kinda quick to about 6000 rpm the burp the throttle closed then back to full(really quick) The idea is to use the engine wind down to load up the front suspension then get back on it and the suspension will help to throw you back up. Or you could just run it to redline and dump the clutch! And hold on!!

Later
Old 05-15-2003, 03:22 AM

Talking

Thanks Fellas, I'll give it a try, but I gotta tell ya, I feel like I'm going to shiot a diamond when I do, even just thinkin about it now..But it will be done. Thanks again. See ya in the Windz.
Old 05-15-2003, 04:20 AM

Talking

Thanks Fellas, I'll give it a try, but I gotta tell ya, I feel like I'm going to shiot a diamond when I do, even just thinkin about it now..But it will be done. Thanks again. See ya in the Windz.
Old 05-16-2003, 02:53 PM

SmurfKilla is an unknown quantity at this point
Good luck man, I remember my first wheelie, I thought I was the phucking man !!! What a feeling it was. Didnt go very far or very high but hey I had lift off....
The problem is that feeling dies a quick death as you're buddy wheelies past you down the street.
This is when it becomes an obsession to get better.
Have fun and remember to wear protective gear.
Cheers
SK