636 Crankcase Vent Solutions

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2006, 01:28 PM

John LegionST is a decent person
Re: 636 Crankcase Vent Solutions

Originally Posted by JohnnyP
Yes if you do nothing you will never see the leak because it dumps the oil into to air box and the motor burns it(smoke) just like in your vid where the GSXR smokes after a long high speed 12 wheelie.

Let enough oil build up in the air box and stall and you now have a hydro locked motor. You being what I consider a PRO wouldn't ever have a problem with that, me on the other hand will.

Still doesnt make sense why my old motor was fine with a valve cover breather and my new motor just dumps it all out.....

" can't just run the hose into a seal'd container... it allways has to have a way to Release pressure."

Yes and the 3 holes I drilled in my catch can was where the oil was squirting out of....You have to understand Im not talkin about a little oil spray, It litereally dumped 1-2 letres of oil out of the catch can and into my face. And it didnt stop flowing till I shut off the bike, turn it bcak on (idleing) and it would start poruing again

For now Ive connected to crankcase breather to a longer hose wraped around the motor then into the airbox like stock....

hmmm... you might be right, now i want to go take my tank and airbox lid off to check, LOL. BUUUUUUT, the stock little hose and mini clear plastic catch bottle that comes off the airbox are both still bone dry on mine. so i dont know...

one fix that was oldschool but might work really well with your extended hose and breather is to splice 2 pcv valves into that long hose! might want to give that a try.
Old 05-23-2006, 01:37 PM

JohnnyP is a decent person

Originally Posted by john LegionST
hmmm... you might be right, now i want to go take my tank and airbox lid off to check, LOL. BUUUUUUT, the stock little hose and mini clear plastic catch bottle that comes off the airbox are both still bone dry on mine. so i dont know...

one fix that was oldschool but might work really well with your extended hose and breather is to splice 2 pcv valves into that long hose! might want to give that a try.

Yeah its funny cause some fill the box more than others, when I had everything stock and the oil level was just right it wouldnt dump that much. But I like to overfill and that doesnt help at all, so I used to have a PCV valve and that helped but I always worried in the back of my head that it was blockin the motor from brethein not just the oil from spillin..... Yours might not be swimming in oil but its going to be oily for sure, a good motor will do a good job of burning most of it...

This motor is brand new and I got it for $600 Canadain, I dont think that will ever happen again so I just want to make sure its breathin right.....Ive tried almost everything and it looks like going to the airbox is the best, just have to minamize the amount of oil going in there....If the longer hose dont work Im goin back to the PCV I had before..
Old 05-23-2006, 01:43 PM

Yeah its funny cause some fill the box more than others, when I had everything stock and the oil level was just right it wouldnt dump that much. But I like to overfill and that doesnt help at all, so I used to have a PCV valve and that helped but I always worried in the back of my head that it was blockin the motor from brethein not just the oil from spillin.....

This motor is brand new and I got it for $600 Canadain, I dont think that will ever happen again so I just want to make sure its breathin right.....Ive tried almost everything and it looks like going to the airbox is the best, just have to minamize the amount of oil going in there....If the longer hose dont work Im goin back to the PCV I had before..
i think you have a good solution with the long hose. if i check my airbox and there is a lot of oil in it im going to do that too with the pcv.

I don't know how much oil your running, but i fill my bikes right to the top of the sight glass, no more! i think that is about .5 quarts over (+475 ml for my brothers up north, lol). And the other thing i ALWAYS tell people to help them save their motors, but it will help in this case too, it to try to keep the rpms low! a HB makes this possible. i've never seen you ride so i dont know if that applies to you but it's something to consider. the lower the rpm the less likely it is to **** oil into the airbox!
Old 05-23-2006, 01:45 PM
I Enjoy Posting At StuntLife!

Armenian has a brilliant futureArmenian has a brilliant futureArmenian has a brilliant futureArmenian has a brilliant futureArmenian has a brilliant futureArmenian has a brilliant futureArmenian has a brilliant futureArmenian has a brilliant futureArmenian has a brilliant futureArmenian has a brilliant futureArmenian has a brilliant future

Yes if you do nothing you will never see the leak because it dumps the oil into to air box and the motor burns it(smoke) just like in your vid where the GSXR smokes after a long high speed 12 wheelie.

Let enough oil build up in the air box and stall and you now have a hydro locked motor. You being what I consider a PRO wouldn't ever have a problem with that, me on the other hand will.

Still doesnt make sense why my old motor was fine with a valve cover breather and my new motor just dumps it all out.....

" can't just run the hose into a seal'd container... it allways has to have a way to Release pressure."

Yes and the 3 holes I drilled in my catch can was where the oil was squirting out of....You have to understand Im not talkin about a little oil spray, It litereally dumped 1-2 letres of oil out of the catch can and into my face. And it didnt stop flowing till I shut off the bike, turn it bcak on (idleing) and it would start poruing again

For now Ive connected to crankcase breather to a longer hose wraped around the motor then into the airbox like stock....
I feel all your pain man--I'm completely stumped--I got oil all over my radiator, wiring harness and mid fairings. There MUST be a fix for this--something needs to be done or else I'm fixing to buy 100 feet of radiator hose, come off the crankcase spigot and wrap the hose around my entire bike 12 times.

Has anybody tried talking to some jet-ski mechanics? I know in Jet skis they use a lot of one-way's and valves to let air out but not let water in or something right?
Old 05-23-2006, 01:57 PM

Armenian has a brilliant futureArmenian has a brilliant futureArmenian has a brilliant futureArmenian has a brilliant futureArmenian has a brilliant futureArmenian has a brilliant futureArmenian has a brilliant futureArmenian has a brilliant futureArmenian has a brilliant futureArmenian has a brilliant futureArmenian has a brilliant future

I also got a pcv in-line right now--its not working. what about 2 pcv valves? For some odd reason I don't think that'll work either but i'll give it a shot today. Temporarily I might also just stick a grocery bag over the end filter to catch the mess.
Old 05-23-2006, 02:02 PM

i think you have a good solution with the long hose. if i check my airbox and there is a lot of oil in it im going to do that too with the pcv.

I don't know how much oil your running, but i fill my bikes right to the top of the sight glass, no more! i think that is about .5 quarts over (+475 ml for my brothers up north, lol). And the other thing i ALWAYS tell people to help them save their motors, but it will help in this case too, it to try to keep the rpms low! a HB makes this possible. i've never seen you ride so i dont know if that applies to you but it's something to consider. the lower the rpm the less likely it is to **** oil into the airbox!
My ridin had alot to do with destroying my old motor and the oil problems, I bought the 636 with 4000KM on it as my first stunt bike. Learned to 12 on it on the streets and that was like the best **** ever, so Id ride highway wheelies for 15 min straight at high RPM cookin rotors like crazy...

This year I started to get alot more slow/technaical and this new motor has completey changed my game. 2 days on it and I went from just learnin no throttle hand to all kinds of no hander to no throttle hander steering combos....This new motor just pulls so much stronger on idle that its almost impossible to stall, its helpin with everything from circles to straight up sitdowns.....

Another factor just struck me! I forgot that when I bought oil for the new motor the shop didnt have any Motul 5100 that I noramlly use, so they gave me a good deal on some ELF that they had in stock. I think the ELF I used was fully synthetic because I noticed right as I started to pour it that it was noticebly thinner than my usual oil...Maybe synthetic (thinner oil) dumps easier than semi
Old 05-23-2006, 02:07 PM

Originally Posted by Armenian
I also got a pcv in-line right now--its not working. what about 2 pcv valves? For some odd reason I don't think that'll work either but i'll give it a shot today. Temporarily I might also just stick a grocery bag over the end filter to catch the mess.
If your not spilling too much out of the filter try just a catch can instead of the filter. That was my plan just swap the filter for a catch can, because the oil stains where gettin annoying to clean...But for some reason the new motor just pumps it out like a faucet.
Old 05-23-2006, 02:12 PM

If your not spilling too much out of the filter try just a catch can instead of the filter. That was my plan just swap the filter for a catch can, because the oil stains where gettin annoying to clean...But for some reason the new motor just pumps it out like a faucet.
Alright that sounds like a plan--How does this sound--catch bottle at the end of the hose above the radiator cap with a vent tube coming off the catch bottle so the oil has to really work to get out?
Old 05-23-2006, 02:16 PM

I use heavy weight oil (20w-50) since winter in VA is pretty much non-existent. And I have no prob running low rpms and stuff John, but for stuff like coasters especially in a limited space lot im pushing some high revs in 2nd gear--(**note all my oil spewing problems started when i started pushing out coasters) Im also not really into bar tricks.
Old 05-23-2006, 02:17 PM

955iDisastar is an unknown quantity at this point

Maybe run one hose from the breather into the oil filler hole on the clutch cover, splice that line n the middle with a "T" going into the airbox or filter. OIl should run back into the clutch cover. Air goes up, oil goes back down..... just a theory...
Old 05-23-2006, 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by 955iDisastar
Maybe run one hose from the breather into the oil filler hole on the clutch cover, splice that line n the middle with a "T" going into the airbox or filter. OIl should run back into the clutch cover. Air goes up, oil goes back down..... just a theory...
The oil coming out is pressurized i think a 'T' might actually work but without anything to physically stop the oil in the T it could always go out both paths?

--I wonder if this would work--but thinking about the oil filler hole now--Why cant we just close off the crankcase breather alltogether and run a breather off the filler cap? Its to the side of the motor more so maybe less oil?
Old 05-23-2006, 02:40 PM

" Its to the side of the motor more so maybe less oil?"

Id think more oil leak becasue its lower than the breather

Why dont you put your bike on the 12 bar with the oil cap off and find out

I like your catch can with the filter breather idea the best
Old 05-23-2006, 03:40 PM

955iDisastar is an unknown quantity at this point

well I now the clutch does catch some oil and blow it out when on two wheels if the cap is off, it actually blows out more oil than the breather would, just thinking of a way to loop the system.

also with two holes I would imagion there would be less pressure anyway right?
Old 05-23-2006, 06:08 PM

This is tough--a lot of good ideas---I guess trial and error it is. Post up results in this thread--I think I'll start off with the catch bottle endcap with breather and see how that works...
Old 05-23-2006, 07:50 PM

So I felt like Macgyver today so here's something I made real quick:

I found this dumb resevoir sitting around in my garage and it looked like a perfect fit. I drilled a hole in the top so I could shove that rubber tube in as a breather:

Next, I inserted about 2 inches of the rubber tube into the resevoir and hot glued it up angled forward:

Here's the device installed--If oil enters the resevoir, it will have to magically find itself into the rubber tubing i used to vent it with (Remember 2 inches of that tubing is in the resevoir). The tube from the crankase is positioned so whether im on 1 wheel or 2, any oil entering the resevoir HAS to go back down into the motor.

I'm going to test this out tonight and see if it works. If it does, I'll only charge 19.99 plus shipping and accept paypal haha.
Old 05-23-2006, 08:18 PM
AuthorityStunts

KROHNSTUNTS is a splendid one to beholdKROHNSTUNTS is a splendid one to beholdKROHNSTUNTS is a splendid one to beholdKROHNSTUNTS is a splendid one to beholdKROHNSTUNTS is a splendid one to beholdKROHNSTUNTS is a splendid one to behold

ha but i have that resevoir layin around too! better get a pattent biooootch haha that thing fell out of my front end one day
Old 05-23-2006, 08:34 PM

Originally Posted by krohnszx6
ha but i have that resevoir layin around too! better get a pattent biooootch haha that thing fell out of my front end one day
HAHA I have no clue where that thing goes on my 636 but it goes somewhere! It just fell out when my bike was in the bed of my truck--weird shiit LOL.

Ok im off to test this thing out--later.
Old 05-24-2006, 07:24 AM

Maciek_Spidi is an unknown quantity at this point

I've got hose 2 times longer than stock(maybe even little bit more) which I put in to a bottle on a side of a bike(zip tied to cage, 0,5L Sprite bottle ).Bottle has drilled holes at the top.

Works for me fine... Even if it will start liking I will see what's going on(in the bottle) and I can always put a PCV valve and see how much of that oil is leaking.
Old 05-24-2006, 08:15 AM

Originally Posted by Armenian
HAHA I have no clue where that thing goes on my 636 but it goes somewhere! It just fell out when my bike was in the bed of my truck--weird shiit LOL.

Ok im off to test this thing out--later.
its some kind of catch can/vent that hangs off the bottom of the ram air duct. I have no idea what its purpose is! LOL

Some really good ideas in here fellas! keep up the ingenuity! :YEAH
Old 05-24-2006, 08:28 AM

its some kind of catch can/vent that hangs off the bottom of the ram air duct. I have no idea what its purpose is! LOL

Some really good ideas in here fellas! keep up the ingenuity! :YEAH
I belieave thats supposed to be a water catch can/drain for the ram air I like this brain storm we got goin for the 636 here

Quick Reply: 636 Crankcase Vent Solutions