Complete guide for learning basic wheelies the right way

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2010, 02:43 PM

danny__darby is a decent person
Re: Complete guide for learning basic wheelies the right way

http://www.youtube.com/user/downshift83

check this guys videos out they helped me when trying to learn basic wheelies the guy shows him learning basic wheelies in first gear then second and then through to standups obviously he's not as good as some of the guys on here but if you watch them you should get a good idea of what your supposed to be doing =) ill post it on the main threads as well for all you lazy people who just cant be arsed
Old 06-21-2010, 02:30 AM

cloudstalker is a decent person

hey, I'm a noob, I've got a CBR1000RR which is my first bike... I know is asking for it but I love it anyway... I've got a couple of little power wheelies out of her just giving it heaps as I pull away, but I want to get good at wheelies and go through the gears. What bike would you recommend getting to learn on that won't cost me the earth when I drop it?

cheers
Old 06-21-2010, 03:55 PM

danny__darby is a decent person

Originally Posted by cloudstalker
hey, I'm a noob, I've got a CBR1000RR which is my first bike... I know is asking for it but I love it anyway... I've got a couple of little power wheelies out of her just giving it heaps as I pull away, but I want to get good at wheelies and go through the gears. What bike would you recommend getting to learn on that won't cost me the earth when I drop it?

cheers
AJ? That you?
Old 06-30-2010, 08:48 AM

ddella22 is a decent person

awesome advise, now I just gotta find the ***** to do it. Do they happen to sell them in the classified area by chance?
Old 10-18-2010, 02:29 PM

sprad1201 is a decent person

Thanks for the advice.
Old 01-10-2011, 10:32 PM

Seven30LG is a decent person

Perfect write up !!!!......I just tried but was too scared to give more throttle lol.....gonna try again and post pics!
Old 01-17-2011, 05:33 PM

-BOSS- is a decent person

Hey bud, I would jut start @ a low rpm, when you release the clutch, feel how the bike responds, and increase little by little each time, until it jumps high enough that you can increase the height by rollin back on the throttle. you'll know if you aren't high enough, the bike will only go faster. feel it out till you find the spot that is right for you.
Old 01-17-2011, 05:39 PM

my last post wuz to "lunglung".
Old 01-17-2011, 05:44 PM

@ cloudstalker, if you cut throttle, very briefly and jump back on it, @ the beginning of your power curve, it'll help you get a bigger jump and bring the front end to where you want it. if it gets too high, closethrottle and it'll come back down, the engine break will do all the work fr you. best of luck, and try looking fo a Kawasaki ZX-6r or 636 if you can find one in your price range. wut you pay for is wut you get. if you're just gonna wreck it, then who cares wut you get. it'll teach you balance and throttle control regardless of wut it is. take care, ride safe.
-BOSS-
Old 04-03-2011, 08:16 PM

Nightmel is a decent person

Well a noob here, and no questions on how to at this time. I've watched so many video tutorials, read so many posts on numerous forums, and it is all just overwhelming. I ride a 2008 CBR 1000RR, that has been dropped about 2" in the rear, and about 1" in the front, that is all the modifications that has been done. It is lowered because I am only 5'6" and it was all about comfort level for me.

Well after spending all day trying all the different tutorial recommendations from many sites, I was at wits end, and on my way back to the house when I decided to try one last thing. I was in first at about 12mph depressed the clutch, reved to 7500-8000rpm slipped the clutch and BAMO! finally got the front end off the ground. Well needless to say, that I turned around and tried and tried and tried again. I was able to achieve the same results a few more times, in numerous attempts.

I know that sitting back as far as possible is optimal for rotation, but being short is my curse when it comes to sitting far back on the seat. Also I have short fingers so reaching the stock clutch lever is difficult especially with only 1 finger, I find myself 2 fingering it because of how stiff it is.

As I stated earlier my questions aren't "How to clutch up a Wheelie", they are more related to what I can do to address the issues that are making it a little difficult for me, ie... sitting back on the seat with short arms, adjusting the clutch lever or purchasing a lever that would make it easier. Also does it sound right that it took 7500-8000 rpm to get the front end up? Or am I over reving for the 1000RR? Also does lowering it make it more difficult to pull up?

Any constructive input is appreciated.
Old 08-05-2011, 04:46 AM

sickntentiions is a decent person

Nice to know!
Old 08-18-2011, 03:27 AM

binelus is a decent person

Very helpful advices. Been on since the begining of my first season this year with my first bike which is a 09 zx6r. Have a -1 on in the front and it comes a lil easier. Still have that lil fear of going too far back. Always cover my rear brake to get the 2nd nature to come in eventually. I guess I need more *****, a cage and more and more practice !
Old 08-31-2011, 09:35 AM

AvsGixxer750 is a decent person

good advice, and what rpms should i dump the clutch at?
Old 01-15-2012, 03:59 PM
fightin' the streets

efzedah is a decent person

Just building my first stunt bike, awesome write-up, I have the basic knowledge to get the wheelie up, but wasnt sure how to keep it there! top advice, well done!
Old 05-14-2012, 09:29 PM

ZS14RR is a decent person

so clutching and using left rear peg while covering the brake for optimal wheelie magic?

sound correct?
Old 08-02-2012, 11:39 AM

kiamo is a decent person

great advice man!!! Thanks, I will go out and start trying this later tonight once the streets go quiet =D
Old 08-02-2012, 11:51 AM

kiamo is a decent person

Originally Posted by Nightmel
Well a noob here, and no questions on how to at this time. I've watched so many video tutorials, read so many posts on numerous forums, and it is all just overwhelming. I ride a 2008 CBR 1000RR, that has been dropped about 2" in the rear, and about 1" in the front, that is all the modifications that has been done. It is lowered because I am only 5'6" and it was all about comfort level for me.

Well after spending all day trying all the different tutorial recommendations from many sites, I was at wits end, and on my way back to the house when I decided to try one last thing. I was in first at about 12mph depressed the clutch, reved to 7500-8000rpm slipped the clutch and BAMO! finally got the front end off the ground. Well needless to say, that I turned around and tried and tried and tried again. I was able to achieve the same results a few more times, in numerous attempts.

I know that sitting back as far as possible is optimal for rotation, but being short is my curse when it comes to sitting far back on the seat. Also I have short fingers so reaching the stock clutch lever is difficult especially with only 1 finger, I find myself 2 fingering it because of how stiff it is.

As I stated earlier my questions aren't "How to clutch up a Wheelie", they are more related to what I can do to address the issues that are making it a little difficult for me, ie... sitting back on the seat with short arms, adjusting the clutch lever or purchasing a lever that would make it easier. Also does it sound right that it took 7500-8000 rpm to get the front end up? Or am I over reving for the 1000RR? Also does lowering it make it more difficult to pull up?

Any constructive input is appreciated.
I'm new at this too, and although I been popping my front up for fun already, I've not managed to get comfortable sitting in the BP. I've always been doing wheelies sitting down and really struggled to feel stable once it's up. Due to my bikes design when I'm sitting down, I'm no where near the back. (gonna go out tonight and try standing on the back pegs)

anyway, all I'm saying is I empathize, it takes more revs to get it up when your weight is forward, and I reckon a lot more ***** to get to (and hold) the balance point.

around 8000 revs sounds very reasonable for getting the front up. Keep trying, and experimenting with more or less revs, and get into the habit of back breaking whenever you get out of your comfort zone. I find with more revs it is easier to quickly reach what feels like the balance point, but currently, I always let it fall when I get it there. Yea yea, I need to grow some bigger *****....
Old 09-08-2012, 01:44 PM

firstclassn00b is a decent person

I started clutching with a stock 636 and I found it easier to clutch up and ride in the stagard position in second gear but since I put the sprocket kit on (1 down & 5 up) it makes it much easier and I found that 3rd gear to be very fun but ALWAYS WEAR PROTECTION (in more ways than one) because I was practicing highchair wheelies in second gear (without a rear hand brake) and bad things happen when you get cocky lol.....

Click image for larger version

Name:	securedownload.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	120.5 KB
ID:	246103

Name:	securedownload2.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	125.9 KB
ID:	246104

Name:	securedownload3.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	132.2 KB
ID:	246105
Old 02-20-2013, 01:08 PM

Matfx7 is a decent person

Hi F4rider, you made this topic in 2004 i.e., 8 years ago. That is amazing. I am riding bike since 3 years and I can do a 1 feet high wheelie comfortably for 2 seconds on every attempt. There was one vital attempt that I made where the wheelie was so high that I could see the front tyre and it kept rolling smooth for about 7 seconds with small jerks of throttle and rear break and before I could study the feeling I just tapped the brake to get it down and lost the joy. Now I don't know how I did that. All I can remember is the front end bounced deeper like never before. I tried to bounce it by standing but I can't get that much deeper bounce like I did on that day. I will focus my movements on every attempt as I may get it on some day. I usually practice not more than 20 minutes once in a while. Is it good if we make the bike scream for hours doing wheelies ? How often should the bike needs rest as the engine may overheat ?
Old 04-15-2013, 02:51 PM

rey2rr is a decent person

thanks so much for the complete guide

Quick Reply: Complete guide for learning basic wheelies the right way