Complete guide for learning basic wheelies the right way

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2009, 07:06 PM

salaminfred is a decent person
Re: Complete guide for learning basic wheelies the right way

ive been trying to clutch up the bike for about a week now and i can get it up but not as consistently as i want. more practice....

but i only have this small back road i go to and i clutch it up at stock idle speed. mostly since im scared of looping it going any faster. should i stick to this method or go 30+ and clutch it since thats what most videos of people learning do.

lastly i can feel my clutch grab less after a practice session. is this normal.
Old 01-20-2009, 01:53 AM

ylkawasaki is a decent person

very helpful. Great ! Thanks a lot
Old 01-24-2009, 01:59 PM

Teodor is a decent person

Hi i have suzuki gsxf 600 katana 92' is there any reason to make wheely whit this bike becouse i try but i only burned rubber
Old 01-31-2009, 10:13 PM

fanco is a decent person

f4rider>>thanx, this really help me a lot....
for ur information, now im creating blog for newbie like me that want to learn stunt & most of the article is from ur post...hope u dont mind...i also mention about u n this forum.....
Old 02-01-2009, 12:00 PM

Timmy P is a decent person

Originally Posted by salaminfred
ive been trying to clutch up the bike for about a week now and i can get it up but not as consistently as i want. more practice....

but i only have this small back road i go to and i clutch it up at stock idle speed. mostly since im scared of looping it going any faster. should i stick to this method or go 30+ and clutch it since thats what most videos of people learning do.

lastly i can feel my clutch grab less after a practice session. is this normal.
well what size sprocket ya running. You always want to raise your idle. that smoothes the wheelies out.you will float alittle more when you get off the gas. stock idle will just pull you down. which can make for a verry choppy squid wheelie. but going slow is good. stay slow. and a small area could be good and bad. good that it will push you to ride a slower more controlled wheelie. bad if you crash and bike hits a barn or pond. lol. just keep practicing and keep that foot on the brake.
Old 02-01-2009, 12:02 PM

Originally Posted by Teodor
Hi i have suzuki gsxf 600 katana 92' is there any reason to make wheely whit this bike becouse i try but i only burned rubber
If your gonna ride a poopy bike atleast get nice tires. thats all ya need. good luck
Old 03-03-2009, 02:59 PM

02 ZX7R Rider is a decent person

First off, I'd like to say I'm new to the forums, and still fairly new to bikes. I ride an 02 zx7r like my name says, and don't really stunt, because I'm making my bike more for show. I would however like to have some insight on doing small wheelies on my bike.

Step by step procedure to launch a wheelie for a beginner
1. Drop the tire pressure to about 15-20psi
2. Put the bike into first gear
3. Go about 15mph
4. Pull in the clutch
5. Rev up the engine a little and drop the clutch
6. Repeat step 5, increasing the rpm’s, until the front end comes up close to the balance point.
7. Reduce the throttle as the front end comes up to the balance point.
8. Cover the rear brake.
9. Stay on the throttle as it comes back down.

I read all these steps and my problem is that my bike is carb instead of fuel injected, and I know a lot of people say you need a fuel injected instead of carb to stunt on. I would agree with that except I'm only wanting to do small wheelies, and I'm looking for some insight as to go about doing those on my bike. I've done all of the steps up to 5, except no matter how fast or slow I go, and no matter the RPM I can't seem to bring the front end up at all. If someone here can give me some help to this problem, and an explanation on how to fix it, that would be great.
Old 03-04-2009, 10:23 PM
NOOB! :D

Equnoxe is a decent person

great write up :D, cant wait to try it out ^_^
Old 03-05-2009, 12:55 PM

Originally Posted by 02 ZX7R Rider
First off, I'd like to say I'm new to the forums, and still fairly new to bikes. I ride an 02 zx7r like my name says, and don't really stunt, because I'm making my bike more for show. I would however like to have some insight on doing small wheelies on my bike.

Step by step procedure to launch a wheelie for a beginner
1. Drop the tire pressure to about 15-20psi
2. Put the bike into first gear
3. Go about 15mph
4. Pull in the clutch
5. Rev up the engine a little and drop the clutch
6. Repeat step 5, increasing the rpm’s, until the front end comes up close to the balance point.
7. Reduce the throttle as the front end comes up to the balance point.
8. Cover the rear brake.
9. Stay on the throttle as it comes back down.

I read all these steps and my problem is that my bike is carb instead of fuel injected, and I know a lot of people say you need a fuel injected instead of carb to stunt on. I would agree with that except I'm only wanting to do small wheelies, and I'm looking for some insight as to go about doing those on my bike. I've done all of the steps up to 5, except no matter how fast or slow I go, and no matter the RPM I can't seem to bring the front end up at all. If someone here can give me some help to this problem, and an explanation on how to fix it, that would be great.

Step 5 is your mistake. you dont rev it a little and dump the clutch. you crank the throttle and as it gets up to about 8 grand slip the clutch out. dont just drop it. If you dont hear an echo of your engine on clutch up your not giving it enuff.. go big or go home
Old 03-06-2009, 12:20 AM

02 ZX7R Rider is a decent person

Step 5 is your mistake. you dont rev it a little and dump the clutch. you crank the throttle and as it gets up to about 8 grand slip the clutch out. dont just drop it. If you dont hear an echo of your engine on clutch up your not giving it enuff.. go big or go home

I re-posted the steps that the person who made this thread said to do. Do those steps only work for fuel injected bikes? I understand what you're saying to do, and when I get a nice day I'll go try it, but I want to make sure I'm getting the right steps down first.
Old 03-08-2009, 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by 02 ZX7R Rider

I re-posted the steps that the person who made this thread said to do. Do those steps only work for fuel injected bikes? I understand what you're saying to do, and when I get a nice day I'll go try it, but I want to make sure I'm getting the right steps down first.
Dude your over analyzing it all. Wheelies and stunts are 2 different things. wheelies. Are not hard. its actualy stuff I was doing on a DS80 back when I was 8. Same for every bike ever made. you give it gas. Rapidly increasing the RPM's and let the clutch out. ya just gotta learn your self exactly what RPM bring it up for you. And no fuel injection has absolutely nothing to do with it. Wheelies have been around alot longer than FI. So quit your complaining, stop ***** footing,and rip some wheelies
Old 03-16-2009, 04:50 PM

Teodor is a decent person

is a problem a weight of the motorcycles?
Old 03-19-2009, 09:50 PM

I was at my buddys detail shop bustin some stunts when a dude pulled up on his dads 250 ninja. He thought what I was doing was cool and decided to do it himself. Well the first few cluch ups had me worried but after about 5 he was bringin it up real close to BP. So If some fat kid that doesn't ride much can impress me. Its obvious that it has everything to do with how big your ***** are. if you cant wheelie you got wee lil' *********.
Old 03-22-2009, 09:52 AM

tylerstonko is a decent person

Dude your over analyzing it all. Wheelies and stunts are 2 different things. wheelies. Are not hard. its actualy stuff I was doing on a DS80 back when I was 8. Same for every bike ever made. you give it gas. Rapidly increasing the RPM's and let the clutch out. ya just gotta learn your self exactly what RPM bring it up for you. And no fuel injection has absolutely nothing to do with it. Wheelies have been around alot longer than FI. So quit your complaining, stop ***** footing,and rip some wheelies : cheers:L UCKY13
Old 03-31-2009, 06:23 PM

Giovanni Styles is a decent person

yo thanx for writing that! i just started doing wheelies i can use the help and thanx for the info about gsx-r's i got one.
Old 04-12-2009, 09:03 PM

Juniorf4i is a decent person

Originally Posted by b_faulk75
once i got it down it's easy as a 2$ hooker.

Lovin the analogy bro... Great write-up by the way.. really good for us noobs trying wheelies for the first time.
Old 04-12-2009, 11:45 PM

chpsk8er630 is an unknown quantity at this point

I re-posted the steps that the person who made this thread said to do. Do those steps only work for fuel injected bikes? I understand what you're saying to do, and when I get a nice day I'll go try it, but I want to make sure I'm getting the right steps down first.[/quote]

Fuel injection has nothing to do with it. Look up videos of people stunting with f4's or f3's they are not fuel injected. Go out and practice youll get better and better .
Old 04-13-2009, 01:40 PM

Giovanni Styles is a decent person

yea thanks for writing that good info im going to use it
Old 05-05-2009, 08:27 AM

Petch is a decent person

Great walkthrough dude. I'll give it a try.
Old 05-05-2009, 04:46 PM
young gun

BiG_EaSt is a decent person

very helpful thanks alot

Quick Reply: Complete guide for learning basic wheelies the right way