Complete guide for learning basic wheelies the right way

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2007, 06:19 PM

Reyals Bemus is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Complete guide for learning basic wheelies the right way

Originally Posted by bikerboy86
GREAT ADVICE!!
i read every word... i'm workin on my wheelie skills... i like to think that i'm up pretty close to bp most of the time but i know i'm not cuz i've never had to slow down a wheelie... always accelerating out of 'em... guess i need to grow some ***** and get that tire way up there...lol
thanks for the advice... already got a f-in ticket for a wheelie... f-ing undercover cop cars... didn't have the chance to run... ...lol
oh well, i guess it's worth it...
is there any state where wheelies are legal? cuz i'm movin there if there is...lol

keep it up!
If you're avatar is any indication, then you are not at balance point.
Old 09-08-2007, 06:40 PM

bikerboy86 is an unknown quantity at this point

no i know... not the greatest pic... that was before i started doin clutch wheelies...lol... i've gotten better since then... but still not as good as i'd like to be... :P
Old 09-09-2007, 09:44 PM

frannyf4i is a decent person

I just started trying wheelies about a month ago. and im getting the hang of it. Using the clutch with sit downs. I was just wondering if it was easier to learn doing stand ups?
Old 09-20-2007, 08:38 PM

315GSstunt is a decent person

What up everyone? I just started to try to wheelie on my 89 gs500 but i just can't seem to get it. Is it easier to start standing up or sitting down?
Old 09-21-2007, 05:11 PM

I think sitting down, BUT THAT'S JUST ME.
Old 10-04-2007, 12:10 AM

zuki05 is a decent person

Hi all . I'm new to this site and I have read a couple days at a time because I didn't wanna ask what has been prolly asked over and over. sorry for that.

I have a 2005 gsx-r and this is my 1st year as a rider. I'm comfortable riding all around. So I started being curious about wheelies because I had a girl on the back of my bike and the bike came up! I let off the throttle and held my clutch in when that had happen. That gave me a taste cause that was the 1st my wheel ever came up.

So now, I ride about 40mph in 1st gear and let off and crank the throttle! When it comes up, I roll back off the throttle so that I don't land hard as well as land softer. So it coast out the wheelie for how much I brung it up (learned that from reading this forum). So I been practicing slippin the clutch and WHAM! I finally bunny hopped it off the ground. So now I can get it off the ground going about 25mph and slippin the clutch. Then I tried power it up and now all of a sudden I'm crushing my NUTS! on the gas tank when I land. Basically I'm sayin I wanna start learning standing up wheelies for this matter cause I'm killing my man hood big time!

Sorry I wrote all this but I wanna know.....
For my experience as to what knowledge I have posted of my noobish activities, Is it ok to start out in 1st gear standing with left foot on passenger peg/right foot covering the brake going 25mph and when I bounce...slip the clutch? I don't wanna go all at once, I wanna work my way up cause I have yet to hit my balance point.
Old 10-04-2007, 12:25 AM

Hi Dez, I started riding this summer as well. The only advice I can give you is crawl before you walk! I've seen sooooo many guys here in KY flip they bike back trying a wheelie sooo soon. I've read that in the forums how I 1st pulled mine up, As well as going to youtube.com . Hope that helps
Old 10-10-2007, 03:13 PM

kurt954 is a decent person

ok what size gxsr do you have ? and to your stand up question its very hard to rock it up slowly put your bike in 2nd gear get it up to 7 grand rpms stand up push down on your front forks (preload) when the forks start coming back up roll your gas open and pull back on the bars try n keep at bout 10 o clock or so ifu feel like ur going to flip hit the rear brake
Old 10-10-2007, 05:35 PM

DeZzR6 is a decent person

Originally Posted by zuki05
Hi Dez, I started riding this summer as well. The only advice I can give you is crawl before you walk! I've seen sooooo many guys here in KY flip they bike back trying a wheelie sooo soon. I've read that in the forums how I 1st pulled mine up, As well as going to youtube.com . Hope that helps
hey zuki, thanks for the advice lol.. i tryed you tube to, there was a video of a guy showing you how to do it step by step, but i dont know it didnt work so good for me, i still dont see how i can bring it up with out pop'n the clutch !! i tryed and it just isnt workin, so i think i am just gonna calm down with it and try next year, my bike is to new to get messed up tryin lol...
Old 10-10-2007, 08:55 PM

Originally Posted by kurt954
ok what size gxsr do you have ? and to your stand up question its very hard to rock it up slowly put your bike in 2nd gear get it up to 7 grand rpms stand up push down on your front forks (preload) when the forks start coming back up roll your gas open and pull back on the bars try n keep at bout 10 o clock or so ifu feel like ur going to flip hit the rear brake
it's a 600 gsx-r, i'll have to give it a try. it's just that fear thing standing cause it looks scary from up there lmao! i'll post a vid on my sit down by the end of this week how i progressed.
Old 10-10-2007, 08:57 PM

Originally Posted by DeZzR6
hey zuki, thanks for the advice lol.. i tryed you tube to, there was a video of a guy showing you how to do it step by step, but i dont know it didnt work so good for me, i still dont see how i can bring it up with out pop'n the clutch !! i tryed and it just isnt workin, so i think i am just gonna calm down with it and try next year, my bike is to new to get messed up tryin lol...
hehe i don't blame you. i started by going about 35-40 mph in 1st gear, when your rpm's start winding down i crank it hard! til the front end comes up, when it comes up i hold on to my clutch when i'm coming down cause when i landed i was hitting the the throttle.
Old 10-11-2007, 12:35 AM

Street Warrior is a splendid one to beholdStreet Warrior is a splendid one to beholdStreet Warrior is a splendid one to beholdStreet Warrior is a splendid one to beholdStreet Warrior is a splendid one to beholdStreet Warrior is a splendid one to beholdStreet Warrior is a splendid one to beholdStreet Warrior is a splendid one to behold

All you squids and dirtbike kids need to STFU and go back and read the first post on the first page

Old 10-12-2007, 10:38 PM

Originally Posted by Street Warrior
All you squids and dirtbike kids need to STFU and go back and read the first post on the first page

....no kid here and just cause you can do tricks mean you don't need to bark talkin ****. when i come across people i never fought before that are new i don't tell them stfu, i help them get better to make them tap someone out or knock them out.
Old 10-13-2007, 12:07 PM

Street Warrior is a splendid one to beholdStreet Warrior is a splendid one to beholdStreet Warrior is a splendid one to beholdStreet Warrior is a splendid one to beholdStreet Warrior is a splendid one to beholdStreet Warrior is a splendid one to beholdStreet Warrior is a splendid one to beholdStreet Warrior is a splendid one to behold

Well everything you said here is wrong, and seems to indicate that you didn't even read the OP.
Originally Posted by zuki05
hehe i don't blame you. i started by going about 35-40 mph in 1st gear, when your rpm's start winding down i crank it hard! til the front end comes up, when it comes up i hold on to my clutch when i'm coming down cause when i landed i was hitting the the throttle.
What you're telling how to do is a power wheelie, that's exactly what you don't want to do. You can never smooth those out because of how high the revs are and if you try to get anywhere near bp with them you will most likely loop. Always use the clutch, and, you are supposed to give it gas when it starts coming down. That's how you soften the landing. Pulling the clutch in and letting the front drop is not good. Read the 1st post of this thread instead of giving bad advice and telling people to go watch videos on Youtube. This is what you find on youtube[youtube] http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eLKDLehx-LE[/youtube] You're not gonna find a better tutorial on the net than the one in this thread.

Last edited by Street Warrior; 10-13-2007 at 12:11 PM.
Old 10-13-2007, 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by Street Warrior
Well everything you said here is wrong, and seems to indicate that you didn't even read the OP.

What you're telling how to do is a power wheelie, that's exactly what you don't want to do. You can never smooth those out because of how high the revs are and if you try to get anywhere near bp with them you will most likely loop. Always use the clutch, and, you are supposed to give it gas when it starts coming down. That's how you soften the landing. Pulling the clutch in and letting the front drop is not good. Read the 1st post of this thread instead of giving bad advice and telling people to go watch videos on Youtube. This is what you find on youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eLKDLehx-LE You're not gonna find a better tutorial on the net than the one in this thread.
dude if she just started pulling a wheelie up, i don't think she's lookin to hit BP right off the start. why the hell she wanna give it gas if she's barely getting the front wheel off the ground. this vid should shut you up cause i don't wanna get her hurt but i don't think she wanna go all the way. i told her "how" i did it on mine. this vid got me where i'm at.....you don't see him hitting his gas landing!
http://youtube.com/watch?v=qncPBZ9DRRk
Old 10-28-2007, 09:20 PM

Aboogie is a decent person

This post has given me a lot of tips........ I will def lower the air in my tires and work on using that clutch....... I am not feeling the power the wheelies at all......

A buddy of mines showed me how he rolls on the throttle while landing...... It looks real smooth..........
Old 10-29-2007, 06:56 AM

TwelveMag is a decent person

Nice write up...

http://www.twelveoclockmag.com/
Old 10-29-2007, 03:06 PM

Originally Posted by Aboogie
A buddy of mines showed me how he rolls on the throttle while landing...... It looks real smooth..........

I always forget that part. Who cares.
Old 11-02-2007, 02:06 AM

wolfe-ninja500 is an unknown quantity at this point

I read the original post and it's great stuff, but my ex500 ain't havin' it. I know I gotta crank the ex a lil harder than y'alls f4i's, 636's, gixxers but how much harder are we talkin'? The original post suggests dumpin' the clutch but all the other wheelie post say slip it? which, if either, is better?
Old 11-03-2007, 10:16 AM

Same thing. You have to feel it. Dumping, slipping, you gotta let it out quick with control at the right timing with the throttle. Practice is what you need. Get to it!

Quick Reply: Complete guide for learning basic wheelies the right way