New rear tire is giving me grief! - Stunt Bike Forum
Stunt Bike Forums Street Motorcycle Videos

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-26-2018, 06:13 AM   #1  

Chris__636 is a decent person
New rear tire is giving me grief!

So I was orginally running michelin pilots on my 636 since i got started about 8 months ago. I read on forums about good tires that last/stick well. I bought a set of michelin pilot road 2ís. I normally run my tire pressure at 27 psi in the rear (since I am learning circles) and it always felt great! I learned ralph louies pretty quickly and the bike felt stable at all times. Now with this new set, I went ahead and broke them in on the road at around 30 psi. (Normal riding) I took my bike to the lot and set the rear at 27 like normal and now I feel completely out of control. Mind that the original tires I had were brand new when i started and I kept at 27 psi in the rear for around 5 months and never had this problem. I was having a hard time controlling the bike once I hit BP now with this new set. It feels like Iím starting all over again ... Made me pretty frustrated. Should I knock down the rear to around 18-20 psi for a while to get a flat spot in the middle maybe? Didn't know if anyone ran into this with new tires being a beginner. I didn't take a break in between sets as well so its not like its been a while since I practiced. Appreciate any advice!

Last edited by Chris__636; 09-26-2018 at 06:17 AM. Reason: didnt want people to get confused
Chris__636 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 03:19 AM   #2  

Chris__636 is a decent person
Re: New rear tire is giving me grief!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris__636 View Post
So I was orginally running michelin pilots on my 636 since i got started about 8 months ago. I read on forums about good tires that last/stick well. I bought a set of michelin pilot road 2ís. I normally run my tire pressure at 27 psi in the rear (since I am learning circles) and it always felt great! I learned ralph louies pretty quickly and the bike felt stable at all times. Now with this new set, I went ahead and broke them in on the road at around 30 psi. (Normal riding) I took my bike to the lot and set the rear at 27 like normal and now I feel completely out of control. Mind that the original tires I had were brand new when i started and I kept at 27 psi in the rear for around 5 months and never had this problem. I was having a hard time controlling the bike once I hit BP now with this new set. It feels like Iím starting all over again ... Made me pretty frustrated. Should I knock down the rear to around 18-20 psi for a while to get a flat spot in the middle maybe? Didn't know if anyone ran into this with new tires being a beginner. I didn't take a break in between sets as well so its not like its been a while since I practiced. Appreciate any advice!
nevermind. I realized its just cause the new tire compound is stiffer than what i had before
Chris__636 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 08:40 PM   #3  

majors, lee is a decent person
Re: New rear tire is giving me grief!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris__636 View Post

nevermind. I realized its just cause the new tire compound is stiffer than what i had before
Roads are a different profile than the pilots. Pilots are a taller profile. Makes a difference with circles
majors, lee is offline   Reply With Quote