how to air box mod f4i

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2007, 10:14 AM
also known as OMR

old man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for rep
Re: how to air box mod f4i

word .
Old 01-04-2008, 02:06 PM

EEKENTERPRISES is a decent person

Did this last night.....clean air mod and removal of the tip over sensor as I still love that wheelie sensation!!!
The clean air mod will give you better low end for two reasons ... this is why racers love it.....

1- you don't get any of the hot oily air from the crank case in your airbox---Take an automotive spray gun, The air blowing by the small jet pulls paint from the canister and doesn't blow pressure into the can...... Same thing here, the exhaust blows by and pulls the hot air / oil from the crancase with it...
2- by hooking the crankcase vent tube up to the clean air valve it creates a vaccum in the crank case and that is good for a few extra horse power and a couple foot pounds of torque...OMR (aka the man) said..."it makes the bike better all around and alot of people agree ,i have even seen dyno test that show increased torque and horse power"
The stunters love it because it prevents a hydrolock situation from the bike being on its side and oil being dumped into the airbox from the breather tube....it has been argued over and over and proven, this is a great mod with no bad side effects whatsoever....

This is what it looks like stock....the directions are a bit confusing, throw 3 away, and hook 1 2 and 4 to the new t....
Name:  DSCN1614-1.jpg
Views: 581
Size:  124.8 KB

The pair valve removed....

1/2" Tee...it was very tight, had to vaseline the hoses to get them on, but better than too loose....

Here is a pic of the t with the hoses.....

How I sealed the airbox off, I have seen many methods, but looking around the garage I realized that some old tire valve cover caps fit perfectly and are hard enough to hold, through them in with a little epoxy and they were solid and fit perfect, looks factory...

Also here is the tipover sensor mod as well.... just cut that damn thing out and never worry about it again....
With windscreen off...

Remove the 2 screws holding the box in and disconnect the box...

Here it is removed and unclipped....

Cut off the connector and make sure there is enough room to reconnect if you want to reinstall in the feature, tie red and green together and cap white off....and clip back in....
Old 01-05-2008, 05:39 AM

krazykyle85 is a decent person

you guys talk about taping the airbox.. i have tried this an noticed a diffrence but i thought about it wouldnt the stock idle do similar thing by adjusting fuel mixture... cause isnt it basically the ssame thing?
Old 01-05-2008, 06:15 AM

DirtyToes is a decent person

Originally Posted by krazykyle85
you guys talk about taping the airbox.. i have tried this an noticed a diffrence but i thought about it wouldnt the stock idle do similar thing by adjusting fuel mixture... cause isnt it basically the ssame thing?
thats why you have to re-adjust the idle (using the stock cable) after doing this mod.
Old 01-05-2008, 09:49 AM
DSC

DSC is an unknown quantity at this point

anybody ever seen an f4i after it falls on the left side with this mod?!!
Old 01-05-2008, 11:49 AM

ALSTAR is an unknown quantity at this point

so
will she suck harder if u take the reed valves out of the cam cover....?

and thanks everyone for the tips

cos i hadn't tried the adjust of the original idle
but i rember when i first did the 2nd cable mod there was advice suggesting the base idle setting should be left alone.......?
it just an air bypass i think....
haven't ridden it like a month now in between engine swaps and spraying

Last edited by ALSTAR; 01-05-2008 at 12:04 PM.
Old 01-05-2008, 12:09 PM
also known as OMR

old man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for rep

Originally Posted by dscamry
anybody ever seen an f4i after it falls on the left side with this mod?!!
yep alotta smoke.....lol

Originally Posted by ALSTAR
so
will she suck harder if u take the reed valves out of the cam cover....?

and thanks everyone for the tips

cos i hadn't tried the adjust of the original idle
but i rember when i first did the 2nd cable mod there was advice suggesting the base idle setting should be left alone.......?
it just an air bypass i think....
haven't ridden it like a month now in between engine swaps and spraying
don't take out the reed valves because they make it so there is a vaccum affect only if you take them out at certain rpms there would be pressure instead of vaccum
Old 01-05-2008, 12:14 PM
DSC

Originally Posted by old man roger
yep alotta smoke.....lol
thats an understatment
Old 01-05-2008, 12:17 PM
also known as OMR

well that means the mod works because normally all that oil would have gone into your air box
Old 01-05-2008, 12:22 PM
DSC

i know, it funny when it happens tho, i smoked out the lot
Old 01-05-2008, 12:26 PM

ALSTAR is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by old man roger
yep alotta smoke.....lol

don't take out the reed valves because they make it so there is a vaccum affect only if you take them out at certain rpms there would be pressure instead of vaccum

wierd but ok i will leave them...........
Tar very much
Old 01-05-2008, 12:29 PM

Towlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of light

smoke the lot out? Just lay my f4i on its left side you say?

Hell ya thats a lot easier then rolling one up
Old 01-05-2008, 12:42 PM
DSC

don't for get running its gotta be running i think!!
Old 01-05-2008, 01:18 PM

da Liks is a decent person

Originally Posted by nags
The peoples bikes you ride dont know how to maintain them. Mine doesn't do that.
nor mine.. proper maintenance boys and girls!
Old 01-10-2008, 10:22 PM

skidmark is a decent person

I did this a while ago just gutting the valve, but re-did it tonight using a proper T-fitting so thought I'd add to this thread. I used a 1/2 inch inner diameter fitting that I got from Home Depot for 67 cents. It fit percectly, nice and tight. I just used the 3 normal hoses and threw out the big one.

Another idea for vacum caps = use a few layers of electrical tape and cut some segments from the big hose you end up throwing out and shove em on (see 3rd pic).
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	1.JPG
Views:	380
Size:	48.7 KB
ID:	204673   Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	399
Size:	53.3 KB
ID:	204674   Click image for larger version

Name:	3.jpg
Views:	446
Size:	42.8 KB
ID:	204675  
Old 01-11-2008, 03:15 AM

krazykyle85 is a decent person

i jus heard today that it causes problems when you do it this way, i have mine like that an my bike is running like garbage.
i was told to completely cap off the two front nipples an the crancase vent jus run a huse towards the ground with a small filter an your good.

what do you guys think?
Old 01-11-2008, 07:28 AM

J-Boogie is a decent person

subscribed
Old 01-11-2008, 12:43 PM

Towlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by krazykyle85
i jus heard today that it causes problems when you do it this way, i have mine like that an my bike is running like garbage.
i was told to completely cap off the two front nipples an the crancase vent jus run a huse towards the ground with a small filter an your good.

what do you guys think?
I think you heard wrong...

dozens of people have done this mod..
Old 01-11-2008, 01:23 PM

who did you hear that from?
I had it done for a while already with just the gutted valve and it was running great. It should run the same with the T-fitting. If it's running wierd maby it's cuz the valve unit isn't plugged in

Sunday should be dry here so if I go ride i'll find out. If it runs like crap i'll plug in the valve and see what that does
Old 01-14-2008, 02:32 PM

It wasn't dry but not raining so I rode anyway, the bike runs awesome!

Quick Reply: how to air box mod f4i