Problems getting it up in 2nd

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2007, 02:48 PM

Reyals Bemus is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Problems getting it up in 2nd

No big deal. Your whippin the bike around. It should do weirdness sometimes. You're pulling in the clutch when you hit the brakes right?
Old 08-08-2007, 02:51 PM

samurai87 is a decent person

Originally Posted by rybred
It sounded and felt like it was comming from the chain but can't be for sure! See, when I need to stop really fast, I stop with the front and back break and let the gear wind down some, and when I came down off this wheelie, it jumped out of gear( I think)

pull in the clutch when your braking hard like that...what happened is you were still in gear spinning at say idk 2800 rpms and then all the sudden you brought the back tire almost to a stop so it just jerked around!!! if your gonnna brake that hard you should pull in the clutch!!
Old 08-08-2007, 02:55 PM

rybred is a decent person

No I was trying to wind down the gear with the clutch in gear, so thats what happened, I get it now! Did I trash anything?
Old 08-08-2007, 02:57 PM

Just drop it into a lower gear and let your engine do the braking..?
Old 08-08-2007, 02:59 PM

no you didnt do any harm and no dont drop a gear if your brakeing like that jus pull in the clutch and get on the brakes!!!
Old 08-08-2007, 03:00 PM

Yeah but he says he was trying to bring the RPMs down real fast at the same time...
Old 08-08-2007, 03:04 PM

dude he said he was doing a pow pow wheelie and then had to slam really quick cuz he ran outa room so why would you down shift?? that is not what downshifting is for ya know!!!
Old 08-08-2007, 03:05 PM

I assumed:

I was trying to wind down the gear with the clutch in gear
means that he wanted to bring down his revs and therfore his gear free-spinning speed at the same time
Old 08-08-2007, 03:12 PM

yea but the bike just grinded out and I did not have time to shift to second! I HAD TO STOP! I MEAN NOW! SO I need to pull in my clutch wright Gangsta Ninja?
Old 08-08-2007, 04:00 PM

I have one other question and don't freak out on me? I don't keep my foot on the back break b/c I feel like I need to be on the ***** of my feet and my foot don't reach the lever! If I am standing I defently can't keep my foot over the break, any clue to what can help me get that break covered?
Old 08-08-2007, 04:43 PM

Tru Texan is an unknown quantity at this point

I have one other question and don't freak out on me? I don't keep my foot on the back break b/c I feel like I need to be on the ***** of my feet and my foot don't reach the lever! If I am standing I defently can't keep my foot over the break, any clue to what can help me get that break covered?
Ok, again I'm a noob but I'll just tell u what I do...I do my stand-up while covering and using the back brake. I usually put from the arch to the front of heel area on the peg so I can push the lever w/the front of my foot. I have a decent size foot (sz 12) so it reaches fine...Took me a while to get use to it and for it to feel comfortable, especially when standing,at first it just felt weird. But after trying it repeatedly, and over time, I found the spot where it feels just right whether I'm sitting, or standing staggered, or w/my knee in seat...Just remember, everything that ur not use to will feel akward at first, but it will past as u get use to it...It doesn't matter what it is, whether its turning sharply, dragging ur knee, clutching instead of powering, standing instead of sitting, braking when ur not use to it, giving more gas and leaning back while doing wheelies to reach bp (which I can only do every now and then)...etc, etc. and the list goes on...its all takes PRACTICE and TIME....

Last edited by Tru Texan; 08-08-2007 at 04:48 PM.
Old 08-08-2007, 05:10 PM

Originally Posted by Reyals Bemus
I assumed:

means that he wanted to bring down his revs and therfore his gear free-spinning speed at the same time
thats correct he wanted to stop and quick however he did it the wrong way, dont take my word for it go to any MSF instructor when panic braking such as this situation you should pull in clutch and threshhold brake while clicking down into 1st!!!! its common sense, the theory behind downshifting involves different uses if you needed to stop in 20-50 ft. why in gods name would you down shift? by the time you revmatched and where on the brakes you would be way past 20 ft.....

yea but the bike just grinded out and I did not have time to shift to second! I HAD TO STOP! I MEAN NOW! SO I need to pull in my clutch wright Gangsta Ninja?

it grinded cuz you shouldnt have hit hard brakes and not pulled in the clutch....no problems man jus next time if you gotta brake hard like that in small distance jus pull that clutch in and threshold brake

and for those that dont know what threshold braking is, since our bikes have manuall controlled brakes and no ABS threshold braking would be to brake to the maximum potential without loosing traction with either the front or rear tire!!!!

threshold braking will be different depending on the bike/pavement/tires/brakes themselves/outside conditions etc.....

Originally Posted by Tru Texan
Ok, again I'm a noob but I'll just tell u what I do...I do my stand-up while covering and using the back brake. I usually put from the arch to the front of heel area on the peg so I can push the lever w/the front of my foot. I have a decent size foot (sz 12) so it reaches fine...Took me a while to get use to it and for it to feel comfortable, especially when standing,at first it just felt weird. But after trying it repeatedly, and over time, I found the spot where it feels just right whether I'm sitting, or standing staggered, or w/my knee in seat...Just remember, everything that ur not use to will feel akward at first, but it will past as u get use to it...It doesn't matter what it is, whether its turning sharply, dragging ur knee, clutching instead of powering, standing instead of sitting, braking when ur not use to it, giving more gas and leaning back while doing wheelies to reach bp (which I can only do every now and then)...etc, etc. and the list goes on...its all takes PRACTICE and TIME....

couldnt have said it better get that arch on the peg and use the ball of your foot to cover the brake lever itself!! when you were jus born i bet walking felt wierd as **** and you prolly fell alot! but look at cha now man walkin all ove the place jogging jumping skipping

baby steps bro you jus started hell i just started...you dont see me rockin O's lol it takes time!!
Old 08-08-2007, 05:40 PM

Originally Posted by samurai87
thats correct he wanted to stop and quick however he did it the wrong way, dont take my word for it go to any MSF instructor when panic braking such as this situation you should pull in clutch and threshhold brake while clicking down into 1st!!!! its common sense, the theory behind downshifting involves different uses if you needed to stop in 20-50 ft. why in gods name would you down shift? by the time you revmatched and where on the brakes you would be way past 20 ft.....
I guess I gotta go make a video demonstration...
Old 08-08-2007, 05:51 PM

you go do that
Old 08-08-2007, 06:09 PM

Tru Texan is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by samurai87
you should pull in clutch and threshhold brake while clicking down into 1st!!!!

and for those that dont know what threshold braking is, since our bikes have manuall controlled brakes and no ABS threshold braking would be to brake to the maximum potential without loosing traction with either the front or rear tire!!!!

threshold braking will be different depending on the bike/pavement/tires/brakes themselves/outside conditions etc.....

yep,I'd have to agree...thats what I have done in all of my "OHH **** !!!! " moments....
Old 08-08-2007, 11:41 PM

ive had a couple of those myself lol there are quiet a few times when i have gotten out of a sticky situation thanks to the MSF course work

I would recommend that to any new rider for sure!!!!
Old 08-09-2007, 12:41 AM
YUT UGH

Re-Micks is a decent person

i sent you a PM with my number man, hit me up we can head out and ill give you some pointers and show you how i do the things... im out of town thurs-sunday and gotta put some longer brake lines on my bike next week cuz i just put db bars on... so just hit me up will get ya going
Old 08-09-2007, 10:10 AM

• [quote=samurai87;2883390]thats correct he wanted to stop and quick however he did it the wrong way, dont take my word for it go to any MSF instructor when panic braking such as this situation you should pull in clutch and threshhold brake while clicking down into 1st!!!! its common sense, the theory behind downshifting involves different uses if you needed to stop in 20-50 ft. why in gods name would you down shift? by the time you revmatched and where on the brakes you would be way past 20 ft.....

Not sure that I got it. Down shift to first and don't let out the clutch or let out the clutch? I think when I did this, my bike was already in first and I pulled in the clutch on the way down and let it back out to let first gear slow me down. Well, it threw me into a clicking, grinding, netural. So I just pulled in my clutch and threshhold braked it. (got me a new word ohhh yeeaa) I wasn't in netural when I came down I was already in first and it ended up in this fuced up netural state. Sooo keep the clutch in the whole time, or try to get it back into first to slow down?

Also I have some little feet that don't hang over the break pedal. Dont clown, the wife is hotttt! 9.5 to be exact. anyone out there with out big feet have advice for me? I will try this, but I have been whering Doc Martins boots and the heel might have me a little fuced up. Do you know what they say about guys with big feet? ( They are clowns) DON'T BE CLOWNIN ON MY FEET DAMIT! I will be working on this tonight and be giving an update status tomorrow!

Please don't hate on eachother on this sticky! I really need all the help I can get and don't want to loose any of the advice and would like to desipher for myself what is the good advice. Keep bringing that good stuff(info, not the stick icky) TY all for helping me and a special thanks to that Samurai Ninja. I will send you some hoo sweee and sour chicki, its sooo hoot!
Old 08-09-2007, 10:18 AM

idk what the **** you just said so ill skip to the point...get rid of the docs and that will prolly help...you dont need size 15's to cover the brake i only wear like a 10.5 or 11 and i can get on the brake fine!!!! no problems at all!!!

as far as the braking dude if you gotta slam on them you pull in the clutch and hit the brakes hard!!! the point of clicking down to 1st gear is so that once youve come to a complete stop you can take off again if you need to evade an accident or object or whatever...rather then jus pullin the clutch and stopping and being in like 5th ya know?

if i were you i would check into taking a motorcycle safety course...MSF

you may learn alot just about overall riding there!! not to mention discount on your bike insurance
Old 08-09-2007, 10:29 AM

TY sorry for the fuced up scenerio! I will keep the clutch in while I am ohh **** breaking. It's just that I was already in first and your solution messed me up a little. See, my bike was in first and when I came down off the wheelie, it threw it into like a false netural and along came the clicking and grinding. When that happened, I just held in the clutch to get it to stop yelling grinding noises in my ear. But that is what I am supposed to do, b/c thats what the Ninja tells me. Good lookin out player.

Quick Reply: Problems getting it up in 2nd