Suspension setup for stoppies

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2006, 09:17 PM

STICKYstunts is a decent person
Re: Suspension setup for stoppies

Gorka, you should just type out a whole complete run of what you do when you do a stoppie. Give us all the secrets....
Old 04-23-2006, 09:31 PM

addicted2psi is an unknown quantity at this point

definately....
Old 04-23-2006, 10:12 PM
Retired

NINER User spends way too much time asking for repNINER User spends way too much time asking for repNINER User spends way too much time asking for repNINER User spends way too much time asking for repNINER User spends way too much time asking for repNINER User spends way too much time asking for repNINER User spends way too much time asking for repNINER User spends way too much time asking for repNINER User spends way too much time asking for repNINER User spends way too much time asking for repNINER User spends way too much time asking for rep

Originally Posted by STICKYstunts
Gorka, you should just type out a whole complete run of what you do when you do a stoppie. Give us all the secrets....
Maybe make a video about it.
Old 04-24-2006, 06:02 PM

Z.w.A is an unknown quantity at this point

Will the suspension be too stiff if i go for a 0.95 spring when racetech calculator recommends 0.847 ? The next spring down is then 0.90

F4i stock spring is 0.660= very soft

What kind of oil are you guys using? 10w, 15w or 20w?
Old 04-24-2006, 07:22 PM
kj

kj is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by NINER
Maybe make a video about it.
Now that would be sweet... i'd definetly buy it...

Seriously though, Matt... when's the darn thing comming out?? I feel like it's been years already!? And I know sooooooo many peeps that are going to jump all over it once it finally drops.
Old 04-26-2006, 10:33 AM

Matt Gorka is a decent person

Sooon...Very soon.
Old 04-27-2006, 10:20 AM

nos96f22 is an unknown quantity at this point

would changing the springs and oil on a stock f4i be worth it?. im trying to stay away from changing the front end to a 929/954.. im not looking to roll crazy endos but if i could do 500' on the stock front end id be happy

and Gorka your the man..
Old 04-27-2006, 10:52 AM

addicted2psi is an unknown quantity at this point

i know that steel braided lines are preferred over stock rubber, but does it really make that much of a difference?
Old 04-27-2006, 11:42 AM

KF_Chris is a decent person

yeah, it does.
Old 05-01-2006, 10:15 AM

300 footers don't require much work to the forks. Stiffen everything up and rock out. If you want to roll the distance, set em' up with stiffer springs, thicker fluids and learn on this setup. Snapping em' up at high speeds requires consistency throughout the entire stoppie. Think about it: If your forks are compressed 4 inches it definitely affects your steering geometry. Racers change their setups 1mm and it makes a difference to how the bike responds. As your forks bounce up and down with changes in brake input, you're playing with danger. Stiff setup means consistency. Consisteny means farther and safer stoppies.
Old 05-01-2006, 10:28 AM

Jessica Maine is a decent person

so tell me... what makes the bike pull? I looped a highchair last December.. and my stoppies have not been the same ever since... I was able to roll to about 60-70 feet.. now i'm lucky if I can roll 30...

I put a GPR on it... made a little difference.. but most the time when the *** end comes down its sideways on me...

I do have a blown fork seal... but it was doing this to me even before...

I was thinking it had to do with the forks.. and my triple tree...

Kane I'm interested in Hell to get more info on what Race Tech is hooking you up with...

LOL
Old 05-01-2006, 10:32 AM

John LegionST is a decent person

Originally Posted by Matt Gorka
300 footers don't require much work to the forks. Stiffen everything up and rock out. If you want to roll the distance, set em' up with stiffer springs, thicker fluids and learn on this setup. Snapping em' up at high speeds requires consistency throughout the entire stoppie. Think about it: If your forks are compressed 4 inches it definitely affects your steering geometry. Racers change their setups 1mm and it makes a difference to how the bike responds. As your forks bounce up and down with changes in brake input, you're playing with danger. Stiff setup means consistency. Consisteny means farther and safer stoppies.

What's up Matt, Great info! Thanks!

I don't know if you have any experience with 636's but I blew out a fork seal this weekend. I'm going to be putting in new seals this week so now is a great time to get them set up properly! I was wondering what weight fluid you reccomend, 10wt is stock. also how much fluid??? Thanks!

End of last year I rolled 450 from a 300-350 approach on this bike with the way its set up now (a bit stiffer than stock, and already matched that this year)... so any advice to help that get further/safer is appreciated!
Old 05-01-2006, 10:45 AM
I Love To Post!

motopsyko32 will become famous soon enough

DO DB bars make a difference in distance?
Old 05-01-2006, 11:36 AM

STICKYstunts is a decent person

Originally Posted by john LegionST

I don't know if you have any experience with 636's but I blew out a fork seal this weekend. I'm going to be putting in new seals this week so now is a great time to get them set up properly! I was wondering what weight fluid you reccomend, 10wt is stock. also how much fluid??? Thanks!

End of last year I rolled 450 from a 300-350 approach on this bike with the way its set up now (a bit stiffer than stock, and already matched that this year)... so any advice to help that get further/safer is appreciated!
John, I cant believe how far you were rolling saturday at Radford. That pavement was TERRIBLE for stoppies. There was one time you were rolling like 40mph and the bike got really sideways. Anywho, congradulations on winning.
Old 05-01-2006, 11:55 AM

Originally Posted by STICKYstunts
John, I cant believe how far you were rolling saturday at Radford. That pavement was TERRIBLE for stoppies. There was one time you were rolling like 40mph and the bike got really sideways. Anywho, congradulations on winning.

yeah that place was the worst place i think i have ever had to roll long stoppies! we were rolling in the 375-450 foot range and it was sketchy!!! actually ed and i tied in distance on our longest ones (mine was about 20 feet longer so it looked like i won) but i went over the pickup line a little so he called it a tie and i said actaully he gets the win cause i effed up and went over the line a little. but yeah good times! can't wait to see you all you guys some more this summer!
Old 05-01-2006, 11:56 AM

Originally Posted by john LegionST

I think the next step up is 15wt which should be fine. If you change the springs, which makes the most difference you won't have to compensate much with going radical on the fluids. I believe I ran .95's and 1.0's with 15 weight and really liked it. 450 from a 300 foot approach is a great number. Keep up the good work.
Old 05-01-2006, 12:01 PM

Originally Posted by motopsyko32
DO DB bars make a difference in distance?
I think it helps for guys without monkey arms. DB bars put you in a better position where you're head is level and you're not looking out your eyebrows to see where you're going and feeling like your somewhat upside down the whole way. It makes you feel a bit more confident at the balance point and confidence=distance. I don't feel it gives you more leverage except when doing 180 stoppies and things like that. I'm confident I could roll farther with bars than a stock setup simply because of body positioning and feeling more in control. It's definitely not cheating because going over is going over regardless of your bar setup and a stoppie is all about control.
Old 05-01-2006, 12:04 PM

Jessica Maine is a decent person

lol.. i guess i just **** and don't deserve a response... thats ok.. i'll go keep practicing!! HOLLAR! hahahaha
Old 05-01-2006, 12:04 PM

I think the next step up is 15wt which should be fine. If you change the springs, which makes the most difference you won't have to compensate much with going radical on the fluids. I believe I ran .95's and 1.0's with 15 weight and really liked it. 450 from a 300 foot approach is a great number. Keep up the good work.
is there any way to tell what rate (.95, 1.0, etc) a spring is? cause i believe my bike was redone at Race Tech before i bought it! it might be stock springs though?!?!? maybe a call or two to some race/suspension shops will help me out!

any suggestions on who to call to find this kind of stuff out... like what spring rate i should get for my weight on a 636? how much fluid to run? what is the stock spring rate on a 636? etc??? im excited to roll further/higher/better!

just for reference, do you know who is rolling the furthest from a 300 foot approach and what that distance is!??!? It's nice to have a goal to shoot for. Especially when practicing, you can set a cone up at that long distance and have something to look at and try to reach!!!

Again bro, Thanks a lot for the help! hope to see you out somewhere at some event sometime this year!
Old 05-01-2006, 12:05 PM
I Love To Post!

motopsyko32 will become famous soon enough

good info

Quick Reply: Suspension setup for stoppies