Stunt Bike Forum

Stunt Bike Forum (https://www.stuntlife.com/forums/)
-   Stunting Help and Advice (https://www.stuntlife.com/forums/443-stunting-help-advice)
-   -   Suspension setup for stoppies (https://www.stuntlife.com/forums/443-stunting-help-advice/156560-suspension-setup-stoppies.html)

brockmenold82 04-13-2006 03:18 PM

Suspension setup for stoppies

how are you pro's rollin the looooooooooonng sdtoppies, what are the suspension and body setup secrets. I need help FAST!

NINER 04-13-2006 03:20 PM

Re: Suspension setup for stoppies

Make that ***** dive and make it so there is almost no rebound. You want it so the forks almost bottom out and stay there.

brockmenold82 04-13-2006 03:39 PM

which one is the compression and rebound (top and or bottom), one more thing how do I disable that damn tipover sensor

ZANE 04-13-2006 03:44 PM

realy? i like my forks stiff as hell, i think it makes the back tire come up faster and thats what you need for long stoppies, is to get to the balance point quick before your speed is gone. i hope i'm wrong maybe a diferent setup will improve my distance (about 400ft). z

Kaneone 04-13-2006 03:48 PM

I have my bikes down at Race Tech right now actually redoing the entire suspension for that exact reason.

They've done little trial and error with stunters to see how suspension setups affect our riding.

They do Jason Brittons bike as well and his stoppies are oviously on point.

im really curious to see how it will change not only my endos but the whole feel of the bike.

I pick em up tomorrow will let you know by monday

-kane

ZANE 04-13-2006 03:51 PM

how are they setting your forks up though kane, do you know?

brockmenold82 04-13-2006 03:54 PM

[quote=brockmenold82]which one is the compression and rebound (top and or bottom), one more thing how do I disable that damn tipover sensor[/quote]

all of your suggestions are GREATLY appreciated but break it down for me get technical on body position and suspension setup, give some (for lack of a better saying) "idiot instructions"

HOW DO I, disable that damn tipover sensor

Kaneone 04-13-2006 03:57 PM

[QUOTE=ziggler]how are they setting your forks up though kane, do you know?[/QUOTE]

No idea yet. Ill be honest im really suspension iggorant. I do know they are re-valving the forks, as well as new springs, different fluid and then of course changing the actual adjustments. (same with the rear shock)

They did have to add ~30 lbs to compensate for the wheelie bar, cage and fairing stay.

but no idea how they set it up. When i pick it up ill have more info

-Kane

Matt Gorka 04-13-2006 04:52 PM

stiff baby. Upgrade the springs and change the fluids with aunt jemima. There is a few tricks with fork geometry setup, but stiff is where it's at. If you jack your bike up real fast and it pogo's you could eat it. Floppy front ends also cause tank slappers. Also when you're at the BP, any brake input should have minimum/zero input on your suspension just your height.:2cents

Kaneone 04-13-2006 04:55 PM

[QUOTE=Matt Gorka]stiff baby. Upgrade the springs and change the fluids with aunt jemima. There is a few tricks with fork geometry setup, but stiff is where it's at. If you jack your bike up real fast and it pogo's you could eat it. Floppy front ends also cause tank slappers. Also when you're at the BP, any brake input should have minimum/zero input on your suspension just your height.:2cents[/QUOTE]

there you have.. words from the best...

So hows the suspension setup on your walker old man? lol

seriously though
Race tech was telling me they could create a custom top tripple that would increase the trail of the bike and therefore make it a lot more stable while in an endo. they gauranteed longer endos...

-Kane

brockmenold82 04-13-2006 04:55 PM

so jack the compression up and take down the rebound?

also Boody position where's it at?

which one is the comp and which is the rebound (top and bottom)

socalstunts 04-13-2006 04:57 PM

[QUOTE=Matt Gorka]stiff baby. Upgrade the springs and change the fluids with aunt jemima. There is a few tricks with fork geometry setup, but stiff is where it's at. If you jack your bike up real fast and it pogo's you could eat it. Floppy front ends also cause tank slappers. Also when you're at the BP, any brake input should have minimum/zero input on your suspension just your height.:2cents[/QUOTE]

From a pro, indeed. My stoppies are garbage, but from what I know, using stiffer springs and heavier weight oil will make a huge difference. I have told some people to do that and they thank me later. I have yet to do it my self cuz its a few hundred dollars I don't have, but like I said, people have thanked me for the advice....

thehate. 04-13-2006 05:08 PM

all I know is my stoppys are garbage, like 50 feet woth of garbage!!:shruggs I need to practice them more.............:banghead

Kaneone 04-13-2006 05:13 PM

[QUOTE=thehate.]all I know is my stoppys are garbage, like 50 feet woth of garbage!!:shruggs I need to practice them more.............:banghead[/QUOTE]

thats cause u fooools live in the artic.. not too much traction on ice... unless your Teach

-kane

ZANE 04-13-2006 11:53 PM

as far as body position, look at gorka's avi. for rebound/compresion/spring preload look at your owner's manual, or go online. i've found it very difficult to explain to someone how to steer a stoppie (even if steering it straight) basically its trial and error, get to the balance point, do something and see what happens. just experiment and you'll get it. my last bit of advice is you MUST have steel braided lines. also I like sbc sintered pads, they take a little longer to warm up, but dont mush out as fast. ok, thats all i know, honestly gorka is the man here, i'll defer to him. pz.

thehate. 04-14-2006 02:56 AM

[QUOTE=Kaneone]thats cause u fooools live in the artic.. not too much traction on ice... unless your Teach

-kane[/QUOTE]

Thanks gumbe boy......:banghead now you tell me:cheers

KF_Chris 04-14-2006 10:35 AM

probably a dumb question, but where can you get the stiffer springs and stuff at?

Jeremy Dutch 04-14-2006 12:14 PM

at the bike shop

Kerns BBO 04-14-2006 01:32 PM

[QUOTE=KF_Chris]probably a dumb question, but where can you get the stiffer springs and stuff at?[/QUOTE]

Racetech, traxxion dynamics, ohlins...

Kaneone 04-14-2006 06:08 PM

[QUOTE=KF_Chris]probably a dumb question, but where can you get the stiffer springs and stuff at?[/QUOTE]

RaceTech

Ask for ANDY GLOMSKI

Tell him I sent you

-Kane