Wheelie

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2007, 04:55 PM
540 BOYZ SUMO STUNTER

E-Loc540 is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Wheelie

Originally Posted by Garethzx6r
Any adivce on wheeling throught out the gears? it seems like im really really choppy? any adivce?

Turn up your idle, but only if you have rear brake control.....
Old 06-03-2007, 10:48 AM
soon to be retired

ExtremeAcres is an unknown quantity at this point

CATMAN and Jrod are right ..... IMO....it just sounds like you need to practice it more.....

the more i stunt and practice...the more i realise... the answer to most questions about "how do I do this ?" or "How do I do this better? ?
.... is PRACTICE

shifting without a clutch breaks parts
staying in only 1st or 2nd gear forever ...is limiting yourself and your skills

Do however be careful in those higher gears...**** can get ugly fast ....helmet and gear would be your friend

I'm getting ready to start practicing downshifting throughout the gears (to be able to slow down from road speeds to lot speeds )(I've been tempted to try it many times...but I've only done it from 2nd to 1st once and it was wierd for sure....rev matching will probably be a key issue and take some practice to hone in)
anyone else doing this successfully ? downshifting from like 4th to 3rd to 2nd to first ? any pointers or tips or warnings ..hehe ..? later
Old 06-03-2007, 12:36 PM
540 BOYZ SUMO STUNTER

Originally Posted by ExtremeAcres
CATMAN and Jrod are right ..... IMO....it just sounds like you need to practice it more.....

the more i stunt and practice...the more i realise... the answer to most questions about "how do I do this ?" or "How do I do this better? ?
.... is PRACTICE

shifting without a clutch breaks parts
staying in only 1st or 2nd gear forever ...is limiting yourself and your skills

Do however be careful in those higher gears...**** can get ugly fast ....helmet and gear would be your friend

I'm getting ready to start practicing downshifting throughout the gears (to be able to slow down from road speeds to lot speeds )(I've been tempted to try it many times...but I've only done it from 2nd to 1st once and it was wierd for sure....rev matching will probably be a key issue and take some practice to hone in)
anyone else doing this successfully ? downshifting from like 4th to 3rd to 2nd to first ? any pointers or tips or warnings ..hehe ..? later

Shifting without the clutch doesnt break parts (as long as your not standing on the shifter to change gears) A bike will shift gears without the clutch all day long and not put anymore stress on the gears than using the clutch would. Gears wont shift while torque is applied to them, the clutch takes away the torque so the gears/dogs can slide and engauge each other. As for downshifting while in a wheelie...try doing a coaster..... i know its different but i can start in 1st and upshift to 5th then ride a coaster (while downshifting back to 1st)
Old 06-03-2007, 10:25 PM

TNDragonrnr is an unknown quantity at this point

Coasters are nice - should be easier too.

Are you making any progress on the F4I extreme?
Old 06-03-2007, 10:44 PM
soon to be retired

Originally Posted by E-Loc540
Shifting without the clutch doesnt break parts (as long as your not standing on the shifter to change gears) A bike will shift gears without the clutch all day long and not put anymore stress on the gears than using the clutch would. Gears wont shift while torque is applied to them, the clutch takes away the torque so the gears/dogs can slide and engauge each other. As for downshifting while in a wheelie...try doing a coaster..... i know its different but i can start in 1st and upshift to 5th then ride a coaster (while downshifting back to 1st)
yeah yeah E-Loc...so you know how a tranny works....
you will **** up a tranny if you shift gears ....while wheelying ...without the clutch....maybe not the first time .....maybe not the 2nd time.....but the loads are too great when you are doing this... Gaurenteed ...it will happen .....I've been through enough inline 4 trannies to know what ***** them up ...bent shift forks...damaged shift drums....and broken teeth on gear teeth

Yeah E-loc....you can drive a bike around all day and gently shift it w/o the clutch.....BUT... there is huge loads on the tranny when suspending all the wieght of the bike in the air ...on the rear wheel....the chain tension is huge.

This thread is about SHIFTING WHILE WHEELYING

You're gonna tell this guy it's OK to shift W/O a clutch throughout the gears while wheelying???? You think he's gonna hit every shift at perfect BP with NO LOADS on the engine ??? You are giving advice that is gonna cause somebody to damage his quad.... IMO

And TNDragon ....Yes ....slowly making progress on the orange 6.... also fired up the yellow 6 for the first time tonight (that 1200 mile motor from ebay sounds great!!! that bike should be done by mid week....also realizing the need to get really fit for this ****.... working on that too :YEAH

How about you TNDragon ?.... you got circles on lock yet ?? hehe you lovin' your fightered F4i ?? Email me Pics ??

Last edited by ExtremeAcres; 06-03-2007 at 10:48 PM.
Old 06-04-2007, 11:38 PM
540 BOYZ SUMO STUNTER

yeah yeah E-Loc...so you know how a tranny works....
you will **** up a tranny if you shift gears ....while wheelying ...without the clutch....maybe not the first time .....maybe not the 2nd time.....but the loads are too great when you are doing this... Gaurenteed ...it will happen .....I've been through enough inline 4 trannies to know what ***** them up ...bent shift forks...damaged shift drums....and broken teeth on gear teeth

Yeah E-loc....you can drive a bike around all day and gently shift it w/o the clutch.....BUT... there is huge loads on the tranny when suspending all the wieght of the bike in the air ...on the rear wheel....the chain tension is huge.

This thread is about SHIFTING WHILE WHEELYING

You're gonna tell this guy it's OK to shift W/O a clutch throughout the gears while wheelying???? You think he's gonna hit every shift at perfect BP with NO LOADS on the engine ??? You are giving advice that is gonna cause somebody to damage his quad.... IMO

And TNDragon ....Yes ....slowly making progress on the orange 6.... also fired up the yellow 6 for the first time tonight (that 1200 mile motor from ebay sounds great!!! that bike should be done by mid week....also realizing the need to get really fit for this ****.... working on that too :YEAH

How about you TNDragon ?.... you got circles on lock yet ?? hehe you lovin' your fightered F4i ?? Email me Pics ??

not trying to be a dick...........but, Yeah sounds like your standing on the shifter to change gears..... Ive raced motocross/stunting for years..never any problems with the gears and yes I shift without the clutch more often than not. If your tearing up your tranny while riding wheelies as you say, you ...... dont know how to use throttle control and you are way below balance point....banging gears to keep your front end up....heres the key.
Right before you shift while in a wheelie use a touch more throttle (so you start to come back) then in the same motion chop the gas and shift then immediatly get back on the gas. This takes the torque off you gears so you can shift without the clutch (get it?? your not forcing the gears, they mesh on their own when there is little/no torque present). I have not seen any evidence that shifting without the clutch puts any more strain/wear on your gears & counterparts....again as long as you are not forcing it to switch gears. Oh another thing theres less 'chain tension' in a wheelie than motocross and or drag racing......dont get me wrong I use clutch when i can but sometimes its better to just shift...and experienced people can relate to this....Clutchless up shifting while on the back wheel is easier, more percise, less tiring and less dangerous than using the clutch.
Old 06-05-2007, 11:48 PM
soon to be retired

no man.... you're not understanding.... I havent destroyed any trannies in 15 years...But when I was roadracing (20 years ago)( I learned the hard way) I did destroy a few....power shifting... learning to rev match (there was no such thing as slipper clutches yet) and just being a newb...pounding on the tranny (not knowing what was too aggressive or too gentle)

The point Im trying to make is ....this guy (who started the thread) is talking about how his shifts in the air are all choppy (not my shifts ...I use the clutch when I shift ...in a wheelie or not) but if he doensnt have that **** down yet....He's gonna be pounding on the tranny if he tries shifting without the clutch.....so I was recommending against that ....until he gets smoother..... that's all ....
Old 06-06-2007, 06:30 PM
540 BOYZ SUMO STUNTER

no man.... you're not understanding.... I havent destroyed any trannies in 15 years...But when I was roadracing (20 years ago)( I learned the hard way) I did destroy a few....power shifting... learning to rev match (there was no such thing as slipper clutches yet) and just being a newb...pounding on the tranny (not knowing what was too aggressive or too gentle)

The point Im trying to make is ....this guy (who started the thread) is talking about how his shifts in the air are all choppy (not my shifts ...I use the clutch when I shift ...in a wheelie or not) but if he doensnt have that **** down yet....He's gonna be pounding on the tranny if he tries shifting without the clutch.....so I was recommending against that ....until he gets smoother..... that's all ....

Gotcha ...yeah smoothness comes with seat time...practice more fella