Bike wont wheelie ??

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2012, 01:10 PM

kiamo is a decent person
Re: Bike wont wheelie ??

Originally Posted by Sinfix
can i ask why?

I'm just starting out and i feel a lot more comfortable with power wheelies vs clutch wheelies. Popping the clutch makes me nervous, power wheelie feels more natural. So far, i havnt done the first clutch wheelie but can do power wheelies at will.

any reason this is bad?
As far as I understand (can't actually do power wheelies on my bike) it is far safer to do clutch wheelies, due to the low speed you can initiate them at.

How are you at finding the true balance point (and holding it) when you do power wheelies? I wouldn't want to be learning what that feels like and how to hold it while doing 100mph down a freeway... lol

Popping the clutch does feel a bit strange at first, but if you start trying at really low RPM and work up you'll get the feel of it. It'll start to feel more natural within 10mins lol.

Dump the clutch at 3 or 4k rpm a few times until you get used to the front wheel popping up a tiny bit, then push the rpm a bit higher, and so on. Once your reving upto around 8k you'll start finding your balance point. And then the fun really begins :D

oh, and stay relaxed, loose, but in control. Don't strongarm the bike. The bike will do all the work for you if you tell it to. ^^

Last edited by kiamo; 08-03-2012 at 01:13 PM.
Old 08-04-2012, 05:00 PM

a913life is a decent person

Originally Posted by kiamo
How are you at finding the true balance point (and holding it) when you do power wheelies? I wouldn't want to be learning what that feels like and how to hold it while doing 100mph down a freeway... lol ^^
I hope this was sarcasm I can roll into a nice 1st gear power and maintain @ 50+/-
Old 08-04-2012, 10:25 PM

Sinfix is a decent person

Originally Posted by kiamo
As far as I understand (can't actually do power wheelies on my bike) it is far safer to do clutch wheelies, due to the low speed you can initiate them at.

How are you at finding the true balance point (and holding it) when you do power wheelies? I wouldn't want to be learning what that feels like and how to hold it while doing 100mph down a freeway... lol

Popping the clutch does feel a bit strange at first, but if you start trying at really low RPM and work up you'll get the feel of it. It'll start to feel more natural within 10mins lol.

Dump the clutch at 3 or 4k rpm a few times until you get used to the front wheel popping up a tiny bit, then push the rpm a bit higher, and so on. Once your reving upto around 8k you'll start finding your balance point. And then the fun really begins :D

oh, and stay relaxed, loose, but in control. Don't strongarm the bike. The bike will do all the work for you if you tell it to. ^^
i think clutch wheelies look cooler and i would rather be able to do them, but i dont feel like its safer. I flick the throttle around 5k and hold the front wheel up until time to shift. i guess i can see how the low speed is considered safer, but i feel more comfortable with the increased speed vs popping the clutch and/or using balance vs acceleration. I've always been into racing, the speed doesnt seem to scare me as much as the clutch popping or having to balance.

I am trying to get the hang of low speed and clutching... but so far on my experiences with bikes, i've came a lot closer to crashing at low speeds than i have a high speed or high acceleration
Old 08-04-2012, 11:46 PM

xshellshock is a decent person

i think clutch wheelies look cooler and i would rather be able to do them, but i dont feel like its safer. I flick the throttle around 5k and hold the front wheel up until time to shift. i guess i can see how the low speed is considered safer, but i feel more comfortable with the increased speed vs popping the clutch and/or using balance vs acceleration. I've always been into racing, the speed doesnt seem to scare me as much as the clutch popping or having to balance.

I am trying to get the hang of low speed and clutching... but so far on my experiences with bikes, i've came a lot closer to crashing at low speeds than i have a high speed or high acceleration
But crashing at high speed sucks a lot worse. Usually.
Old 08-05-2012, 12:10 AM

kiamo is a decent person

@a913life: huh.. not sarcasm, but put it down to ignorance. As I said, my bike can't do power wheelies.

@sinfix: I guess it depends on what you want to achieve. Personally my goal has always been to master the balance point, so that I can remain in a wheelie indefinitely, and move onto other variations of the stunt. I imagine a power wheelie would be very easy and comfortable to play with if I don't push it up to 12 oclock. But that's exactly what I want to be able to do.
Old 08-06-2012, 02:13 AM
handicrippled

swampy is a decent person

can i ask why?

I'm just starting out and i feel a lot more comfortable with power wheelies vs clutch wheelies. Popping the clutch makes me nervous, power wheelie feels more natural. So far, i havnt done the first clutch wheelie but can do power wheelies at will.

any reason this is bad?
yes theres a reason power wheelies are bad...you actually have less control of how much throttle you puttin into the wheelie...you may think you do but when you have to crack the throttle to wide open to get the wheel off the groud thats a lot of gas that goes in and sooner or later you going to flip that thing right over and you and the bike are going to be fucked up..clutching up maybe scary at first but you have control of throttle position and it come up right away instead of gradually like the power wheelies do..thats also why power wheelies are bad cuz your constantly haveing to increase your speed in order to keep the front wheel off the ground...the list goes on but in the end power wheelies are going to get ya hurt...then again if your doing them more then likely your front end is barely off the ground either way...

Originally Posted by a913life
I hope this was sarcasm I can roll into a nice 1st gear power and maintain @ 50+/-
in first gear you should be able to do a lot better then that...plus i bet your redlining the **** out of it by the time you reach that far...and sry to say but your not maintaining anything by doing so..

the reason why lower speeds actually take skill to control...fast wheelies your just relying on the bikes power and the wind to keep the front end up which probably isnt anywhere near balance point as what you think...cuz if you were doing power wheelies and with the lack of experiance you would have gone over backwards already...

Originally Posted by xshellshock
But crashing at high speed sucks a lot worse. Usually.
yes crashing at lower speed suck way less and do way less damage..
Old 08-06-2012, 07:46 AM

Sinfix is a decent person

Originally Posted by swampy
yes theres a reason power wheelies are bad...you actually have less control of how much throttle you puttin into the wheelie...you may think you do but when you have to crack the throttle to wide open to get the wheel off the groud thats a lot of gas that goes in and sooner or later you going to flip that thing right over and you and the bike are going to be fucked up..clutching up maybe scary at first but you have control of throttle position and it come up right away instead of gradually like the power wheelies do..thats also why power wheelies are bad cuz your constantly haveing to increase your speed in order to keep the front wheel off the ground...the list goes on but in the end power wheelies are going to get ya hurt...then again if your doing them more then likely your front end is barely off the ground either way...

in first gear you should be able to do a lot better then that...plus i bet your redlining the **** out of it by the time you reach that far...and sry to say but your not maintaining anything by doing so..

the reason why lower speeds actually take skill to control...fast wheelies your just relying on the bikes power and the wind to keep the front end up which probably isnt anywhere near balance point as what you think...cuz if you were doing power wheelies and with the lack of experiance you would have gone over backwards already...

yes crashing at lower speed suck way less and do way less damage..
I'm not anywhere near balance point, but not barely off the ground either. My wheelies look about like this

I'm gonna start working on the clutch method as soon as i get the short lever in. I understand it's the better way, but i dont see how i have more control of the the throttle from using the clutch. I can pop the clutch and give it too much gas the same as i can give it too much gas on a power wheelie. At speed, i'm chasing the front end vs having to balance it. Outside of going fast vs going slow, it seems "safer".

Either way, gonna start learning clutch asap, so hopefully in a month or two i'll be saying "omg i was such an idiot, this is the right way"
Old 08-06-2012, 08:56 AM

KpeckR6 is a decent person

You don't need a shorter lever. Just pointer and middle fingers on lever and pinky and ring on handlebar. Lever touches your ring and pinky when pulled in but you're holding on secure when you pop it. A Few people have told me its impossible to clutch up their bike and Its only because subconsciously as soon as the bike initially lifts they let off the throttle.
Old 08-06-2012, 03:12 PM

kapzanass1 is a decent person

less control with the power wheelie believe it or not .... and besides by the time you come down your going like eighty ... no good man... no good.. give that thang a pop !!
Old 08-06-2012, 06:18 PM

a913life is a decent person

lol @ kiamo, do you have a large sprocket? it doesn't matter how you reach balance point, via power or clutch, once you're there you're there. my r6 doesn't redline till 60+ when I put down a a power wheelie I'm usually reading 45-48 and that's after I roll into it again to cushion the impact, in all honesty tho it is screaming haha
Old 08-06-2012, 10:58 PM
handicrippled

swampy is a decent person

I'm not anywhere near balance point, but not barely off the ground either. My wheelies look about like this

I'm gonna start working on the clutch method as soon as i get the short lever in. I understand it's the better way, but i dont see how i have more control of the the throttle from using the clutch. I can pop the clutch and give it too much gas the same as i can give it too much gas on a power wheelie. At speed, i'm chasing the front end vs having to balance it. Outside of going fast vs going slow, it seems "safer".

Either way, gonna start learning clutch asap, so hopefully in a month or two i'll be saying "omg i was such an idiot, this is the right way"
not to bash on ya but yeah your barely off the ground compaired to where balance point actually is for a bike...but the important thing is that your willing to do it the right way...granted yes you can give it to much gas poping the clutch but its less likely because when you start doing so you get a better feel of how much gas is needed for that initial pop...this is because you give it a lil gas pop the clutch and if it dont come up far enough the nxt time you give it more till you find that sweet spot...another important thing to remember is when learning clutch is to not chase the wheelie if your not high enough...put it back down and try again...

Originally Posted by a913life
lol @ kiamo, do you have a large sprocket? it doesn't matter how you reach balance point, via power or clutch, once you're there you're there. my r6 doesn't redline till 60+ when I put down a a power wheelie I'm usually reading 45-48 and that's after I roll into it again to cushion the impact, in all honesty tho it is screaming haha

sprocket size doesnt matter for one and two your wheelies probably look like sinfix's pic (again not bashing ya bud just saying) plus yes it does matter how you get there..the safer the better and the safer way is clutching it...like i said before if your powering it up and you were getting to balance point with it you would be going over backwards because youve already dumped more throttle then needed to get it there...
Old 08-07-2012, 12:49 AM

wrexttboy is a decent person

If you think about it, slower wheelies = scraped, maybe some back rash. Pow pow wheelies = brokin bones bigger and more expensive mistakes. It is cool that you are wanting to stunt, but jus take baby steps, you will get there. Clutching is the way to go.