Stunt Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sprocket Removal

Old 08-06-2012, 03:04 PM

kapzanass1 is a decent person
Question Sprocket Removal

OK so... i got to take my sprocket off and im guessing since i dont have the chain on it thats why it is hard for me to get it out... any suggestions on how to get the front sprocket off???
Old 08-06-2012, 04:51 PM

KpeckR6 is a decent person
Re: Sprocket Removal

Bend the lock clip straight, put in like second gear or higher and shock the wrench with a hammer to break the nut free
Old 08-06-2012, 05:18 PM

Thanks Man !!! soo nub question ... were is the lock clip??
Old 08-06-2012, 05:40 PM

There should be a oval piece of sheet metal that slides over the output shaft and is bent over the nut once it's tightened to keep the nut from loosening.
Old 08-06-2012, 05:46 PM

Old 08-06-2012, 11:05 PM
handicrippled

swampy is a decent person

Originally Posted by KpeckR6 View Post
Bend the lock clip straight, put in like second gear or higher and shock the wrench with a hammer to break the nut free
not the best vid for someone who is new at this i will try to find a better one where it shows how to do it not just explain it...plus removing the nut with it in gear like that is a bad idea because you could damage them by doing that and bad...i known of ppl who actually have broken there gears by doing that...put the chain back on and put something through the back wheel to stop it from moving like a board or pipe so that its resting on your swing arm..leave the bike in neutral and brake it loose..thats the best way..
Old 08-06-2012, 11:20 PM
handicrippled

This vid pretty much shows you the right way..granted this isnt your exact bike but they are all fairly close to being the same

Old 08-07-2012, 09:04 AM

pigs01GSXR2 will become famous soon enough

Yea dont put in gear thats DUMB......use an impact gun
Old 08-07-2012, 10:38 AM

First of all I would say I personally hold the sprocket by hand in neutral and use a 3/8 electric impact. But telling someone with minimal mechanical know how to do it that way would be DUMB because chances are they may not have those tools on hand. Second, spec on the bolt is about 40 foot pound(correct me if I'm wrong). Wailing it with a hammer will break something but you could probably smack it by hand to break free. But in any case I'm sorry, probably safer other ways. I'll stop posting my dumb answers.
Old 08-07-2012, 03:08 PM

i apprieciate all the answers ... i tryed it twice in gear before i logged on and saw all these other answers.. i didnt snap anything or what not so im good.... got my buddy who works at the honda powersports store coming over when i get my sprocket in the mail to help me get it off .. seems the best way .. he can actually physically teach me ... whoop whop
Old 08-07-2012, 11:02 PM
handicrippled

Originally Posted by KpeckR6 View Post
First of all I would say I personally hold the sprocket by hand in neutral and use a 3/8 electric impact. But telling someone with minimal mechanical know how to do it that way would be DUMB because chances are they may not have those tools on hand. Second, spec on the bolt is about 40 foot pound(correct me if I'm wrong). Wailing it with a hammer will break something but you could probably smack it by hand to break free. But in any case I'm sorry, probably safer other ways. I'll stop posting my dumb answers.
its not that they dont have the tools but yes safety and not messing up the bike is the best thing and top priority...plus smacking it with a hammer sometimes is needed because if its all stock chances are that bolt is probably rusted on there so its gonna take some force to get it off...hence the reason why you use a board or something in the back wheel vs. putting it in gear...

Originally Posted by kapzanass1 View Post
got my buddy who works at the honda powersports store coming over when i get my sprocket in the mail to help me get it off .. seems the best way .. he can actually physically teach me ... whoop whop
best idea so far