Phonebook method.Tank dent

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2009, 10:36 PM
Call me *Point Blank*

cbr_stunt is an unknown quantity at this point
Phonebook method.Tank dent

so im officially gonna try my first full Blown tank dent.I want to do a O-town dent cuz thats what my last bike had which im used to.Alot of guys are saying the phonebook method is easy but what exactly is that way.Im doing it to a 04 636 tank.here a perfect tank that i like and wanna try duplicating.How do i get the gas cap slanted in like that?
ANy tips will be helpful.

Thanks
Old 12-03-2009, 10:49 PM
ATOWNCUSTOMS

ATOWN1101 has much to be proud ofATOWN1101 has much to be proud ofATOWN1101 has much to be proud ofATOWN1101 has much to be proud ofATOWN1101 has much to be proud ofATOWN1101 has much to be proud ofATOWN1101 has much to be proud ofATOWN1101 has much to be proud ofATOWN1101 has much to be proud ofATOWN1101 has much to be proud of
Re: Phonebook method.Tank dent

make sure you take out the splash guard at least i think that is what it is? cause if you dont everything around the cap will dent except the cap. you will end up with the cap sticking up. at lest that is what happened to my buddy's 636. i would wait to get some more feed back from someone that nos for sure what im talking bout.
Old 12-03-2009, 10:53 PM
myspace.com/atowncustoms

slidewayz89 is just really niceslidewayz89 is just really niceslidewayz89 is just really niceslidewayz89 is just really niceslidewayz89 is just really nice

If you want a good tank dent dont rush it man....mine took me 2.5-3 days total i mean bondo and all i didnt use a phone book man just use a dead blow mallet and go slowly start and the bottom of the gas cap and work your way around in a U shape just be carefull about creases on that bike and you should be good the only think i can strees is do it slowly and keep the gas cap on the tank while doing so...i knew someone that took the cap off and fucked a tank off.......but anyway good luck man and like i said take your time and small blows
Old 12-03-2009, 10:55 PM
myspace.com/atowncustoms

slidewayz89 is just really niceslidewayz89 is just really niceslidewayz89 is just really niceslidewayz89 is just really niceslidewayz89 is just really nice

the splash gaurd is not neccesarry on the 03-04 dont cut it out unless you want to i mean if you do you could have an easier time pouring gas in
Old 12-03-2009, 11:00 PM

sixxxer-fuddy is a decent person

i did my 06 gixxer with a phonebook and rubber mallet that tank in the pick looks alot eaisier than mine just hit that **** mine was my first and i was scared after the first hit it looked like it was fucked but just hit it take your time and really watch for kinky sharp bends,i angled my cap aswell and i hit tit too much and put a hairline crack in it which sucked because i dint realize till the bike was build lol but it got welded,also bondo is your friend,it was my first time doing bondo and it turned out great,prolly didnt need it but i wanted to try it,all and all id just say start smashing it and take your time work your way around it do it all evenly it will come out fine u many want to look into that splash guard issue it might be in the way mine almost hits the bottom but it doesnt i think most guys just cut them out with a dremel,oh another thing u might want to take your cap out whille u smash it i didnt and it blew apart all the guts fell into the tank lol it wasnt cool ill try and get some picks of mine for u any ways good luck!!!
Old 12-03-2009, 11:05 PM
myspace.com/atowncustoms

Originally Posted by sixxxer-fuddy
i did my 06 gixxer with a phonebook and rubber mallet that tank in the pick looks alot eaisier than mine just hit that **** mine was my first and i was scared after the first hit it looked like it was fucked but just hit it take your time and really watch for kinky sharp bends,i angled my cap aswell and i hit tit too much and put a hairline crack in it which sucked because i dint realize till the bike was build lol but it got welded,also bondo is your friend,it was my first time doing bondo and it turned out great,prolly didnt need it but i wanted to try it,all and all id just say start smashing it and take your time work your way around it do it all evenly it will come out fine u many want to look into that splash guard issue it might be in the way mine almost hits the bottom but it doesnt i think most guys just cut them out with a dremel,oh another thing u might want to take your cap out whille u smash it i didnt and it blew apart all the guts fell into the tank lol it wasnt cool ill try and get some picks of mine for u any ways good luck!!!

NO DO NOT TAKE THE CAP OFF just pop it open every 20-30 blow and let the pressure out....man youll be fine just do not take the cap off.....and yes do very light coats of bondo i took my time on my take and i have 2 VERY thin coats on mine dont want to go bondo crazy cause thick bondo will crack and chip after time
Old 12-03-2009, 11:06 PM
ATOWNCUSTOMS

ATOWN1101 has much to be proud ofATOWN1101 has much to be proud ofATOWN1101 has much to be proud ofATOWN1101 has much to be proud ofATOWN1101 has much to be proud ofATOWN1101 has much to be proud ofATOWN1101 has much to be proud ofATOWN1101 has much to be proud ofATOWN1101 has much to be proud ofATOWN1101 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by slidewayz89
If you want a good tank dent dont rush it man....mine took me 2.5-3 days total i mean bondo and all i didnt use a phone book man just use a dead blow mallet and go slowly start and the bottom of the gas cap and work your way around in a U shape just be carefull about creases on that bike and you should be good the only think i can strees is do it slowly and keep the gas cap on the tank while doing so...i knew someone that took the cap off and fucked a tank off.......but anyway good luck man and like i said take your time and small blows
damn homie you no some fucked up people down there. Ya damn hillrods i bet your tank dented just sitthing on it with all them double cheese
Old 12-03-2009, 11:09 PM
myspace.com/atowncustoms

Originally Posted by ATOWN1101
damn homie you no some fucked up people down there. Ya damn hillrods i bet your tank dented just sitthing on it with all them double cheese

Damn you have been wanting to make a fat joke forever i seen you put the phone down long enough to type that.....looks like your hooked on phonics is not working like you thought, i thought you might be another success story but i guess not...
Old 12-03-2009, 11:13 PM
Call me *Point Blank*

thanks for the help guys.Ill make sure i take my time and i guess not take the cap off.I guess my question is how do i get the slant going involving the gas cap to like the one on the white tank pictured.ill cut the splash guard out to.i put gas in the bike today for the first time and saw that in there and was like WTF.last bike didnt have that and it splashed gas back out on my tank.i wasnt to happy.
Old 12-03-2009, 11:15 PM
Call me *Point Blank*

damn lol arent yall brothers or is it the other dude with the red 636?Im about to get off been up since 4am.any further advise for now hit me up.224-425-9575
Old 12-03-2009, 11:17 PM
myspace.com/atowncustoms

yea if i could redo it i would cut mine out....but do not take the cap off and start at the bottom of the cap and work in a U pattern
Old 12-03-2009, 11:20 PM
myspace.com/atowncustoms

**** no i would claim him if we were........but you should be good i seen that you posted on stuntride also do it your self and learn if you **** it up you can sell it to someone and start over..
Old 12-04-2009, 12:02 AM
I Enjoy Posting At StuntLife!

Armenian has a brilliant futureArmenian has a brilliant futureArmenian has a brilliant futureArmenian has a brilliant futureArmenian has a brilliant futureArmenian has a brilliant futureArmenian has a brilliant futureArmenian has a brilliant futureArmenian has a brilliant futureArmenian has a brilliant futureArmenian has a brilliant future

03-04 splash guard is gay and touches--I just drilled 4 large holes in it to help gas filling but my cap never stuck out too bad.

Here was my old 03 tank. No bondo, holes in the guard:

No phone book-did'nt touch my splash guard gas nozzle fits perfect and i can fill up at full squeeze-
Here's my current 05 wih 5 light light coatsof bondo and bedliner:

Last edited by Armenian; 12-04-2009 at 12:04 AM.
Old 12-04-2009, 07:07 AM

Black03R1 is an unknown quantity at this point

I used a town phone book. Its about half the thickness of a regular phone book. I didnt like using a full size phone book. Might work fine for others but I didnt like it. After each hit or 2 Id see where I was at and plan the next one. Used a dead blow hammer . Took about 2.5 hours from start to finish. then another couple hours finishing it up. Im going to do my 03 dent O-town but a little deeper than this one.

Old 12-04-2009, 07:57 AM

DC-stunts is a decent person

Originally Posted by Armenian
03-04 splash guard is gay and touches--I just drilled 4 large holes in it to help gas filling but my cap never stuck out too bad.

Here was my old 03 tank. No bondo, holes in the guard:

No phone book-did'nt touch my splash guard gas nozzle fits perfect and i can fill up at full squeeze-
Here's my current 05 wih 5 light light coatsof bondo and bedliner:
This is what should be done drill the hols but keep the filler in the tank.
Old 12-04-2009, 08:02 AM

DC-stunts is a decent person

This is jesse tolers tank that we fixed and added the lip on.

Old 12-04-2009, 09:01 AM

Black03R1 is an unknown quantity at this point

^^ hey thats cheating...haha jk thats pimp do alot of others do that to get that lip or they do it by just denting it in?
Old 12-04-2009, 01:54 PM

Towlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by DC-stunts
This is jesse tolers tank that we fixed and added the lip on.
Does the bondo have a problem cracking in the back like that? I bonoed the front of my tank, but left the back portion all fiberglass so I don't gotta worry about it cracking. Was worried about jumping to frogs

my f4i dent, just used a rubber mallet lol... I beat on it slowly forever, I got the main shape down, then just slowly went around forming it into a bowl shape. Didn't hurt that in highschool metalshop I made a bowl out of a flat piece of aluminum with a hammer lol

Last edited by Towlieee; 12-04-2009 at 02:10 PM.
Old 12-04-2009, 02:57 PM
RIP Delores F.

BenStunts pa pa is a decent person

you dont need bondo on any tank dent,

use a rubber hammer...its simple
Old 12-04-2009, 03:05 PM
The Reverend Freestyle

!!A2K!! will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Black03R1
^^ hey thats cheating...haha jk thats pimp do alot of others do that to get that lip or they do it by just denting it in?
alot of people have been doin that!! Bornes bike has a huge one.....id be scared to add the sharp lip becuase i wouldnt wanna miss and hit that ledge right on my ***!!

Quick Reply: Phonebook method.Tank dent