no thermostat = better cooling??

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2008, 08:51 PM
540 BOYZ SUMO STUNTER

E-Loc540 is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: no thermostat = better cooling??

Yeah in the same jist im a maintenance engineer and several of our buildings bave boiler systems, hot water valves and all that mess to keep warm in the cool months. Each hot water valve has a restiction valve which can be adjusted to slow the water through the given coils....there are many factors involved but I know of many units set at 70 percent flow and the air off the coil will actually be hotter than the water running through the coils at 100 percent....like it has been mentioned alot of times your not giving the liquid enough time to transfer heat...just like in the summer you can run cooling through vav boxes at 100% airflow, but in heat mode the air is only flowing at 30-50 %.. Leave your T-stat in and if your really worried run the engine ice.
Old 05-06-2008, 09:16 PM

jbstunts is a decent person

Originally Posted by Scott-
the coolant will never have time to get cool thats the purpus of a thermostat and a radiator to trap water in the rad for a certan period of time then release the cool coolant back into the motor think about it
this is not correct, if you look at other things that work on the EXACT same princibles intercooler, tranny cooler, oil cooler, or any thing else like that does not have a thermostat, the purpose of the thermostat is to keep it at a certain temp because your motor runs best around a certain temp, it can and will still cool down your ****. thats why its there because it will overcool it without it
Old 05-06-2008, 10:13 PM
N/A

N/A is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Jb420
this is not correct, if you look at other things that work on the EXACT same princibles intercooler, tranny cooler, oil cooler, or any thing else like that does not have a thermostat, the purpose of the thermostat is to keep it at a certain temp because your motor runs best around a certain temp, it can and will still cool down your ****. thats why its there because it will overcool it without it
I'm sorry, but you must be thinking of something else b/c what you just said made no sense and IS NOT correct.
Old 05-06-2008, 10:20 PM

DIRTYJEFF636s is a decent person

WHEN I HAD MY INTEGRA MY THERMO TOOK A ****, I BOUGHT I NEW ONE (THEY GAVE ME THE WRONG ONE ) SO I JUST RAN WITHOUT ONE, IT RAN A LITTLE HOTTER THEN NORMAL LIKE ONE BAR MAYBE LESS ON THE GAUGE THAT WAS ABOUT IT, AND IT WENT UP A LITTLE HIGHER SITTING IN TRAFFIC
Old 05-06-2008, 10:26 PM

jbstunts is a decent person

Originally Posted by Mr. Farley
I'm sorry, but you must be thinking of something else b/c what you just said made no sense and IS NOT correct.
what made no sense, like i said things like tranny coolers and intercoolers dont have thermostat and they are like radiators, and they still dissipate heat. thats what im sayin.
Old 05-06-2008, 10:39 PM
N/A

N/A is an unknown quantity at this point

the purpose of the thermostat is to keep it at a certain temp because your motor runs best around a certain temp, it can and will still cool down your ****. thats why its there because it will overcool it without it
Those 2 parts are incorrect.
Old 05-06-2008, 10:58 PM
Retired

NINER User spends way too much time asking for repNINER User spends way too much time asking for repNINER User spends way too much time asking for repNINER User spends way too much time asking for repNINER User spends way too much time asking for repNINER User spends way too much time asking for repNINER User spends way too much time asking for repNINER User spends way too much time asking for repNINER User spends way too much time asking for repNINER User spends way too much time asking for repNINER User spends way too much time asking for rep

A radiator is a misnomer. It's primary mode of heat transfer is forced convection.
Old 05-07-2008, 12:57 AM
also known as OMR

old man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for rep

Think of it this way, white is reflective vs. black which is absorbent. During the muscle car era all the motor blocks were painted their branded color. (ie: Chevy = Orange. Ford = Blue. Pontiac = Red) After doing some R&D, it was discovered that painting motor blocks these colors actually increased the heat b/c they were reflective, some more than others. Black however, more of the internal heat is absorbed, thus dissipating heat throughout the block instead of reflecting that heat internally. 99% of cars now paint the block of a motor black for that reason.

I think you are thinking the system flows freely, but it doesn't. The system is pressurized and the radiator flows probably a 1/3 of what the pump is actually pushing. The fluid has to pass through each block of louvers in the radiator, so the amount of time the fluid is in the radiator is always the same. (Other than when you 1st start up the motor) But once the t-stat is open, the system can only flow at a given pace b/c of the decrease in size for each individual tube that passes through the radiator.

(Assume that the motorcycle is at idle for argument sake)
You can think of it this way too. A firetruck has a 4" hose hooked up to a hydrant. The hydrant is flowing at 150GPM into this 4" hose which in turn has a 3" nozzle. If you change the 3" nozzle to a 1.5" nozzle, you create more pressure behind the nozzle, but the fact still remains the hydrant is still pumping at 150GPM, but now there is just more pressure in the system. Well this is the same with a radiator, this fluid travels through the pump, the t-stat, the motor, all the way back to the radiator then BAM, it hits tubing that is considerably smaller so that pressure builds up in the system. Either way, the fluid can only pass through the radiator at a given speed.

Going into RPM ranges and how the pump spins faster at a given RPM range is different, but you get the gist of how it works and how fluid will pass through a radiator at the pace the pump is pushing it.

(PS. Everything I've said is back yard mechanic type ****, I'm no pro this is just what I've picked up along the way from rebuilding motors and racing... if my ration-al is incorrect, please feel free to correct me)
the radiator has so many tubes that it can flow more then the thermostat can flow wide open so it [the radiator]does not restrict flow

Correct running a t-stat is GOOD. As OMR has said, it does help create back pressure allowing both coolant to stay in the radiator longer, as well as coolant staying in the motor longer as well.

But in applications like AMA/MRA, a t-stat is not required b/c the high rate of speed each rider is going. So much fluid is being moved, as well as so much air is being forced through the RAD that cooling is rather minimal, it's more or less just maintaining a constant temp.
it's the air moving across the radiator at those speeds that keep the motor cool your water pump could be pushing half as much water as it does and it would still cool because of all the air going across the radiator and as long as your moving enough you wouldn't need a thermostat but sitting in traffic or stuntung in a lot with your idle cranked it is a good idea to have a thermostat

it will only over cool at speed and yes fi bikes are sensitive to running temp but carbed bikes aren't quite as sensetive to tempeture but they need thermostats also

Originally Posted by DIRTYJEFF636s
WHEN I HAD MY INTEGRA MY THERMO TOOK A ****, I BOUGHT I NEW ONE (THEY GAVE ME THE WRONG ONE ) SO I JUST RAN WITHOUT ONE, IT RAN A LITTLE HOTTER THEN NORMAL LIKE ONE BAR MAYBE LESS ON THE GAUGE THAT WAS ABOUT IT, AND IT WENT UP A LITTLE HIGHER SITTING IN TRAFFIC
exactly.....................