no thermostat = better cooling??

Old 05-05-2008, 09:48 PM

Tasty_McWheelie is a decent person
no thermostat = better cooling??

what up, i heard that taking the thermostat completely out will make engines run cooler (heard from a drag racer) he said just take the insides out and that engines run like 15 degrees cooler... any opinions on how that works on bikes? cus different people have told me that it ***** the cooling system up, and others say that its true...
Old 05-05-2008, 09:49 PM
I Enjoy Posting At StuntLife!

E RacK can only hope to improve
Re: no thermostat = better cooling??

no comment
Old 05-05-2008, 09:51 PM

katana chris is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Tasty_McWheelie
what up, i heard that taking the thermostat completely out will make engines run cooler (heard from a drag racer) he said just take the insides out and that engines run like 15 degrees cooler... any opinions on how that works on bikes? cus different people have told me that it ***** the cooling system up, and others say that its true...

engine ice :YEAH
Old 05-05-2008, 09:52 PM

hughes_097 is a decent person

i thought a thermostat was to keep the motor from over heating if its stuck open the motor should heat up?
Old 05-05-2008, 09:57 PM

Tasty_McWheelie is a decent person

from my understanding, the thermostat opens up when it gets hot, letting the fluids flow... so leaving it open would let the fluid constantly flow... **** i dunno haha
Old 05-05-2008, 09:58 PM

Black03R1 is an unknown quantity at this point

yea its crap I tried it on my Chevy nova..needless to say I put one back in.
Old 05-05-2008, 10:00 PM

katana chris is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by hughes_097
i thought a thermostat was to keep the motor from over heating if its stuck open the motor should heat up?

correct grass hoppa the reason for the thermostat is to close off some of the coolant to allow for it to cool in the radiator when it opens it cycles the cooled down coolant out for the hot coolant and so on and so on the best thing to do is run engine ice and hedder wrap!
Old 05-05-2008, 10:00 PM
I Enjoy Posting At StuntLife!

E RacK can only hope to improve

13x forum racers say dont do it
Old 05-05-2008, 11:26 PM

hanasanaide is a decent person

thermostats are mainly for cold starting, it lets the engine get hotter faster than if the coolant were flowing, i don't see there being any difference when its running
Old 05-05-2008, 11:32 PM
"Keep Your F4i's IDIOTS"

50slut will become famous soon enough

i dont see why so many people worry about there bikes running hot! i ride all parking lots and my fan kicks on mabey every 8-12 mins and thats if im just doin circles and not moving and getting airflow. your bikes gonna get hot and when it does the fan kicks on and cools! that whats supposed to happen
Old 05-05-2008, 11:35 PM

jbstunts is a decent person

a thermostat opens at a certain tempature normally around 190 to 200 and stays open until it drops below its determined tempature. on stunted streetbikes it is open all most all the time
Old 05-05-2008, 11:49 PM
AZ's Finest!

*Tanus* will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by 50slut
i dont see why so many people worry about there bikes running hot! i ride all parking lots and my fan kicks on mabey every 8-12 mins and thats if im just doin circles and not moving and getting airflow. your bikes gonna get hot and when it does the fan kicks on and cools! that whats supposed to happen
+1, even in 110 degree weather
Old 05-06-2008, 12:07 AM
Jim CrashoBazzi

imafrogg420 is a decent person

Originally Posted by 50slut
there just being bitches about it
Old 05-06-2008, 12:10 AM
"Keep Your F4i's IDIOTS"

50slut will become famous soon enough

cry cry just cuz the fan kicks on once in a while doesnt mean your bikes junk, unless its a f4i or 636 then you better sell it quick
Old 05-06-2008, 12:22 AM

Scott- is an unknown quantity at this point

the coolant will never have time to get cool thats the purpus of a thermostat and a radiator to trap water in the rad for a certan period of time then release the cool coolant back into the motor think about it
Old 05-06-2008, 12:24 AM

Scott- is an unknown quantity at this point

people wire up the fans you could try that, but if everything is working like it should there's no reson to. bikes actually need to run at a certan temp to run right to cool and the bike will run like ****.
Old 05-06-2008, 01:51 AM

Nellie636 is a decent person

lol look it up... basic automotive 101 ( thermostat: controls minimum operating temperature) therefore thermostat is closed until u reach the operating temp of that thermostat ie. 190 degree thermostat opens at 190 degrees, all it does is allow the coolant now to move freely circulating from engine to radiator. when it is below the designated temperature it stays closed allowing the bike to heat up, no coolant flow. only harm with not having one is on cold days it takes forever to heat up since theirs no restriction. warm days makes no difference. i dont run one cause im cheap and have to save money, bike will perform either way the same with minor inconveniences.
Old 05-06-2008, 04:29 AM

sweet99F4 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Nellie636
lol look it up... basic automotive 101 ( thermostat: controls minimum operating temperature) therefore thermostat is closed until u reach the operating temp of that thermostat ie. 190 degree thermostat opens at 190 degrees, all it does is allow the coolant now to move freely circulating from engine to radiator. when it is below the designated temperature it stays closed allowing the bike to heat up, no coolant flow. only harm with not having one is on cold days it takes forever to heat up since theirs no restriction.
Couldn't have said it better. . . . All the guys sayin it closes to let the coolant in the radiator cool better then it opens and closes. . .BS take one and toss it in a kettle on the stove its either open or closed its not a solenoid. Half the guys givin advice prolly dont even know where to locate it on their bike lol

Old 05-06-2008, 05:07 AM
also known as OMR

old man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for rep

it restricts the flow enough to keep the coolant in the radiator longer then if there wasn't one there but as long as there is enough air moving across the radiator it wouldn't matter but sitting in traffic and stunting in a lot with your idle up could cause your bike to over heat with out one.
Old 05-06-2008, 08:05 AM
540 BOYZ SUMO STUNTER

E-Loc540 is an unknown quantity at this point

it wont hurt to run without them but engine componets are made knowing the engine is supposed to run at a certain temp. I have no problem running without a t-stat but I dont dog on my bikes unless they are running at least 150 degrees...shouldnt be an issue while stunt riding......

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: no thermostat = better cooling??