shortening my slip on... question

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2008, 04:40 PM

chpsk8er630 is an unknown quantity at this point
shortening my slip on... question

I have a d&d slip on. Its the quietest one ive ever heard so i dont need to hear about how d&ds are soo loud cause i got a defective one or something but its quieter than most slip ons ive heard. I want to shorten the exhaust my question is instead of shortening the actual exhaust can, Can i shorten the midpipe a couple inches before the actual can bolts up? Or would this throw off the angle of the exhaust making it not mount up to the rear peg? This would still keep it quiet and I would rather have that. The mount is adjustable on the actual can so im thinking it would work but im not sure. So anyone who can help let me know.

Thanks
Old 04-24-2008, 04:52 PM
FYF

motopsycho231 is a decent person
Re: shortening my slip on... question

what kind of bike? the f4 izzle?
Old 04-24-2008, 05:15 PM

Righteous 1 has a spectacular aura aboutRighteous 1 has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by chpsk8er630
I have a d&d slip on. Its the quietest one ive ever heard so i dont need to hear about how d&ds are soo loud cause i got a defective one or something but its quieter than most slip ons ive heard. I want to shorten the exhaust my question is instead of shortening the actual exhaust can, Can i shorten the midpipe a couple inches before the actual can bolts up? Or would this throw off the angle of the exhaust making it not mount up to the rear peg? This would still keep it quiet and I would rather have that. The mount is adjustable on the actual can so im thinking it would work but im not sure. So anyone who can help let me know.

Thanks
Any mods you do to the mid-pipe will change the angle of the can at the mount. It's probably doable to a certain extent, but I don't think it'll be as short as you may like.
Old 04-25-2008, 01:09 AM

chpsk8er630 is an unknown quantity at this point

ok yea its for the f4i and im just gonna try to cut like the last 4 inches off of the can. Never tried anything like this before shortening an exhaust but ill figure it out.
Old 04-25-2008, 01:13 AM

MCGYVER is an unknown quantity at this point

If you go to your local muffler shop with your bike and tell them what you want they can make you a mid pipe. it cost me like $20 for mine and now I can run a full slip on
Old 04-25-2008, 10:45 AM
N/A

N/A is an unknown quantity at this point

Either do what McGyver said or if you do shorten your can, don't shorten it from the outlet side, shorten it from the inlet side. Much easier to do it that way, and you can still leave the original badging.
Old 04-25-2008, 11:22 AM

ejsotsehp is a decent person

shortening the mid-pipe will not make it any louder at all. take a ruler and measure down as far as you want to cut all the way around the pipe. then connect the lines. using a 1/8" drillbit drill out the rivets. using a cutoff wheel cut the can of the muffler after completing the exterior cut take a razorblade and cut through the packing. then take a sawzall and cut the baffleing in 1/2. you may have to grind the baffleing cuz on some models the baffle is spot welded to the tip. then take a file and round the edge of the can that you just cut so their are no sharp edges. replace the tip and drill necessary holes with 1/8" drillbit. place rivets back into the holes and rivedt them into place.