rpm gauge question

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2008, 09:13 AM

lee majors is an unknown quantity at this point
rpm gauge question

puttin together an f4i and don't want to run the stock guages(too bulky). i found a really small tach(good quality) for only 40.00 at the auto parts store but i only goes to 6 grand. my question is, since i'm only usin it to set my idle, will it work? or will it break when i hit 10,000.

one other question. i don't have a manual, anybody have a diagram can tell me which wires are for the tach?
Old 03-05-2008, 09:30 AM

sdfkillz is a glorious beacon of lightsdfkillz is a glorious beacon of lightsdfkillz is a glorious beacon of lightsdfkillz is a glorious beacon of lightsdfkillz is a glorious beacon of light
Re: rpm gauge question

i wouldnt even waste the time or money, when i had my gix streetfightered i just went off feel and sound of the engine. actually still do even with guages. i just get rolling and turn the idle up untill its pulling how i want it.
Old 03-05-2008, 09:51 AM

lee majors is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by sdfkillz
i wouldnt even waste the time or money, when i had my gix streetfightered i just went off feel and sound of the engine. actually still do even with guages. i just get rolling and turn the idle up untill its pulling how i want it.

yeah, your prob right. i haven't had guages on my 900 in 3 yrs. i just started bumpin my idle last year and just go by ear and feel. i just figured i could have somethin quick and accurate, but yeah, again, i prob just overthinkin it. i just can't wait to start ridin again soon:YEAH
Old 03-05-2008, 09:54 AM

-GoBLIN- is a decent person

Originally Posted by lee majors
puttin together an f4i and don't want to run the stock guages(too bulky). i found a really small tach(good quality) for only 40.00 at the auto parts store but i only goes to 6 grand. my question is, since i'm only usin it to set my idle, will it work? or will it break when i hit 10,000.

one other question. i don't have a manual, anybody have a diagram can tell me which wires are for the tach?
if you want it for your idle only, disconect the power once your idle is were you want it, then hook it back when you re adjust? If the gauges are a big deal and your worried itll fry them, thats probally a good bet