636 overheat issues

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2007, 11:48 AM

Jordo636 is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: 636 overheat issues

Originally Posted by E-DUB OM
you dont have problems with it hitting your tire? I put my clip ons on top and lowered it a little. I love the way it feels. I tried to bolt up a 06 radiator but it was too big and looked like it would slam the wheel so I said **** it and stayed with the 03 radiator
Na man not at all it was perfect and bolted right up. I didn't have to change anything at all and its so much stronger than the 03-04 radiators. **** I went through like 3 radiators until I tried the 06 one.

You can see in this pic that its well away from the front wheel.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	l_9367617bec7a3ede196e1a68b1f653a8.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	33.8 KB
ID:	199552  
Old 09-06-2007, 11:55 AM

Guru is a decent person

why is everyone getting a 636????
Old 09-06-2007, 03:39 PM

savage lin is an unknown quantity at this point

swap the water pump and open up the thermostat for more flow, bet this will solve the problem my **** would over heat every 10 minutes did this and haven't over heated since.
Old 09-06-2007, 06:00 PM

Big R 508 is infamous around these parts

Originally Posted by Compton82
Jump the 2 wires together that come from the radiator
yeah i did that and it aint workin tho...u r speakin of two wires comes from the fan motor.
Old 09-06-2007, 06:31 PM

SIC J is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by FiSh
Spit it out, whats the solution besides getting a honda? haha
just welcome yourself to the Kawi family and accept it.
Old 09-08-2007, 04:38 PM

kingmotox27 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by savage lin
swap the water pump and open up the thermostat for more flow, bet this will solve the problem my **** would over heat every 10 minutes did this and haven't over heated since.

how did you open up the thermostat exactly???? This sounds like a genius idea.
Old 09-08-2007, 04:41 PM

savage lin is an unknown quantity at this point

i had a tech at work remove the valve that opens and close's, check the water pump man that's usually my problem:YEAH
Old 09-08-2007, 05:01 PM
back in the saddle again

binder929rr is an unknown quantity at this point

ok people, apparently nobody is thinking about this issue. hard-wiring a fan will not do jack.

here's the reasoning, say your fan kicks on at 220, then shuts off at 212 or whatever (that's what my kaw does). so you hard wire your fan, the fan is running and running, your bike gets up to 220, fan just stays running. perfect right? well guess what, if hte bike is 220 the fan would stay on anyways so hard wiring a fan would actually do nothing for the heat problem if your bike is already to the point where the fan is always running. duh, come on people.

i would say try a second fan. the idea of using an 05 radiator is pretty good, the 05 radiators are noticably larger and seem to work awsome because my 05 stays at 168 degrees on a normal high 70's-low 80's day here riding the highway. Most of my other bikes would run in the 190's or around 200 on the highway.

also, if you don't want to go that extreme yet, flush your system out really good first, you could have buildup in there if the water that was used before wasn't distilled. then run engine ice. engine ice works out really nice....it will help.

you can also put a higher pressure radiator cap. this will keep the bike from boiling out coolant, but it WILL NOT KEEP THE HEAT DOWN. just keep that in mind. all it will do is reduce the coolant flying out of the bike, but it won't lower operating temps.

another thing i've found, if you don't change your oil regularly then the oil doesn't lubricate as well causing excess heat. i change my stuntbike every 1000 or so miles (i guesstimate)....so basically i change it often. I would do that being that you are in a hot enviroment anyways and oil will break down faster.

so, in order, i would flush the system, engine ice and higher pressure rad cap. then if that's not helping any i would try the second fan....then try to find an 05 radiator.

also, keep the oil fresh and you should be good.
Old 09-08-2007, 05:03 PM

nags User spends way too much time asking for repnags User spends way too much time asking for repnags User spends way too much time asking for repnags User spends way too much time asking for repnags User spends way too much time asking for repnags User spends way too much time asking for repnags User spends way too much time asking for repnags User spends way too much time asking for repnags User spends way too much time asking for repnags User spends way too much time asking for repnags User spends way too much time asking for rep

Having mine hard wired on doesn't allow my bike to ever get as hot as it would if I didn't
Old 09-08-2007, 05:03 PM
back in the saddle again

Originally Posted by savage lin
i had a tech at work remove the valve that opens and close's, check the water pump man that's usually my problem:YEAH
this is true also, you could take your thermostat out. that will increase flow a little bit (when it's open it's flowing all the way, but the support for the thermostat woudl restrict flow just a tiny bit).

also, if you do add a second fan, i would keep it turned off as long a possible and only use it when you absolutely have to. doing parking lot idle stuff your bike isn't putting out a lot of voltage so 2 fans running constantly will tear up that expensive battery.
Old 09-08-2007, 05:05 PM
back in the saddle again

Originally Posted by nags
Having mine hard wired on doesn't allow my bike to ever get as hot as it would if I didn't
do you see the logic behind it though nags? maybe in a cooler environment but somewhere he's at where the bike is obviously up in the 230's (he said it's boiling over) then he's well past the fan being on stage so it being hard wired wouldn't change that once it reaches 220 or whenever it kicks on. if it kicks on later then maybe, but mine kicks on pretty low on my kaw.
Old 09-08-2007, 05:39 PM
Give me the wheelie gypsy

FiSh is a decent person

Originally Posted by binder929rr

so, in order, i would flush the system, engine ice and higher pressure rad cap. then if that's not helping any i would try the second fan....then try to find an 05 radiator.

i have a 06, ima try the engine ice **** tonight. My old bike always ran like **** with the fan hardwired also, hmmm
Old 09-08-2007, 05:49 PM

Nick Apex is a decent person

Originally Posted by Clint Ewing
I was just up there and had no problem with my 636. Fish, just ride it around and stop doing circles for an hour.
If you have an 03/04 and didn't overheat in Vegas there is no way you're riding hard enough, haha, no way!

My new plans:

05 Rad
2 Fans
Super coolant
Handjob

I lowsided another fast circle because coolant spit all over my tire a couple rotations in and I didn't notice. Damn Kawasaki I love her but shes a *****.
Old 09-08-2007, 05:53 PM
Give me the wheelie gypsy

FiSh is a decent person

Originally Posted by Nick Apex
I lowsided another fast circle because coolant spit all over my tire a couple rotations in and I didn't notice. Damn Kawasaki I love her but shes a *****.
not because your riding at seamless? worst parking lot ever... lol
Old 09-08-2007, 05:54 PM
I Chose to No Longer Post

Ryan S is a decent person

nick apex on a kawi??? wow......i didn't hear about this!!!! welcome to the best handling bike on the market!!
Old 09-08-2007, 05:59 PM
back in the saddle again

Originally Posted by Nick Apex
If you have an 03/04 and didn't overheat in Vegas there is no way you're riding hard enough, haha, no way!

My new plans:

05 Rad
2 Fans
Super coolant
Handjob

you would benefit from a higher pressure radiator cap. that will keep the coolant from coming out. stock i think is 1.3, but don't quote me. they have 1.6 availible and it will keep the coolant in the bike until a higher temp. buys you some time. it won't cool the bike down any though.
Old 09-08-2007, 06:27 PM

nags User spends way too much time asking for repnags User spends way too much time asking for repnags User spends way too much time asking for repnags User spends way too much time asking for repnags User spends way too much time asking for repnags User spends way too much time asking for repnags User spends way too much time asking for repnags User spends way too much time asking for repnags User spends way too much time asking for repnags User spends way too much time asking for repnags User spends way too much time asking for rep

do you see the logic behind it though nags? maybe in a cooler environment but somewhere he's at where the bike is obviously up in the 230's (he said it's boiling over) then he's well past the fan being on stage so it being hard wired wouldn't change that once it reaches 220 or whenever it kicks on. if it kicks on later then maybe, but mine kicks on pretty low on my kaw.
I dunno. If mine is off for some reason my bike will easily hit 220... The fan kicks on.. brings it down a few degrees and it'll hover between 215 and 225. When I keep it on all the time my bike will barely break 200 unless I really want it to
Old 09-08-2007, 06:28 PM

mikkee is a decent person

ok people, apparently nobody is thinking about this issue. hard-wiring a fan will not do jack.

here's the reasoning, say your fan kicks on at 220, then shuts off at 212 or whatever (that's what my kaw does). so you hard wire your fan, the fan is running and running, your bike gets up to 220, fan just stays running. perfect right? well guess what, if hte bike is 220 the fan would stay on anyways so hard wiring a fan would actually do nothing for the heat problem if your bike is already to the point where the fan is always running. duh, come on people.

Having the fan running all the time slows dn the process of it getting to the overheating point, giving you more time to ride before you should shut it dn to cool it off
Old 09-09-2007, 12:19 AM
back in the saddle again

Originally Posted by mikkee
Having the fan running all the time slows dn the process of it getting to the overheating point, giving you more time to ride before you should shut it dn to cool it off
this i could see at a normal temp. most of us this might work but i'm thinking of the extreme case of triple digits they have out there.

i never have a problem...it was triple digits here and my bike still stayed cool in the lot; i guess i got a bike with a good cooling system. the fan runs for about 2 minutes then it's off for about 10-15 minutes during slow stuff.
Old 09-09-2007, 01:06 AM

tommy B is a decent person

I have a 2004 kaw 636 just started stunting had the same problem hard wired my fan switch with toggle pluse went to advance auto parts and got some 40below my bike hasnt over haeted since (note) 40below has no lube in it for the water pump so you have to anti crossion addative to it hope this was some help for you keep the shiny side up tommyB