FIDDY TECH: Help, How-to, Parts & Mods Have a technical question? Looking for the best parts? Want to share some info on new fiddy parts you bought or have seen? Post it up here!

Laws?

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2005, 04:36 PM

Voodoo_Man is an unknown quantity at this point
Laws?

Just wondering if any one has ever looked in to this. I seem to recall that any thing under 50cc's dosent need a plate or insurence to ride on the street. But i cant find any thing on the net to conferm that and i havent managed to get pulled over yet. *also im not talking about kiting it up for the street, just wondering if i can ride street with my stock crf *for now* around town. I also live in ontario canada. but any ideas would be great. thanks
Old 04-16-2005, 06:36 PM

f4stunna is a decent person
Re: Laws?

becareful it all depends on the cop. the a$$hole ones will right you up for anything they can think of even if it doesnt really apply. Im in MA and i registered mine as a moped. its worked so far.
Old 04-16-2005, 06:48 PM

Yea you do have a good point, i road out on the street all day and the only time i saw cops was when they were down the street doing a ride check. I live in the country, wich really blows becouse i could run, but chances are they eather know where i live or in a week ill do it again and they will figure it out.
Old 04-18-2005, 10:11 AM

melloyello is an unknown quantity at this point

Although you don't need insurance or tags you will still need a headlight and taillight. That's how it is in NC. They will fall under our moped law if the right cop stops us. THere is supposed to be no external shift and they are not to exceed 20mph. Of course they have an external shifter and they will run about 35mph but if the cop didn't know any better you could get away with it. Oh yeah, you have to wear a helmet to be legal here too. Technically, if I were to lock it in 2nd gear and remove the shifter I wouldn't go over 20mph and would have no external shift. If I were to go to Wal-Mart and get the bicycle headlight and taillight I would be completely legal.
Old 04-18-2005, 10:25 AM

yea. the laws here are you have to be 16 and have a permit or lisence (auto or motorcycle). have head lights and directionals. mirrors. all it says is it has to be an automatic, nothing about being able to shift it. and it can only be able to reach a speed of 35 max but you can only go up to 25 mph. oh, and wear a helmet and fallow all the traffic laws n ****.
Old 04-18-2005, 10:48 AM

melloyello is an unknown quantity at this point

I just rechecked ours in the dmv handbook.
North Carolina law defines a moped as a vehicle with 2 or 3 wheels with a motor of no more than 50cc and no external shifting device. Legally, a moped's top speed cannot exceed 30mph. You must be at least 16 years of age and wear a helmet to operate a moped on a public roadway. When riding a moped you must obey all the rules of the road.
That is in compressed form but that's all the important stuff. I don't see anything in there about a headlight or taillight.
Old 04-18-2005, 12:43 PM

Well i hate living in ontario some times, I was out riding yesterday on a back road by my house, and low and behold i saw a cop down the road from me, coming towards me. soo quickly i bombed down a grass consesion to my house, pulled in the garage and ditched my bike and took off my gear. Not even a moment later hes knocking on the back door of my shop and then he comes in, hah well apparntly some old lady called in a complaint, that i was riding around. last i checked the stock exhaust pipe on a stock pipe isent loud at all. but what ever. Lucky for me the guy was nice and let me of with a warning. I took the moment to ask him about the laws and it turns out ontario just passed a new law that any motorezed vehical needs to be insured, plated, have horns and lights. and you have to be wearing a helmet and following the rules of the road. But i finaly got out of him i can ride at the local community center parking lot and the worst they can do to me and only if some one complains is ask me to move on haha. just wait untill i get my new ehaust pipe im gona rock this town.
Old 04-18-2005, 12:55 PM
AZ's Finest!

*Tanus* will become famous soon enough

voodooman,Im goin through canada in a couple weeks, do you know if i need a passport at the border,and how much security is there
Old 04-18-2005, 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by *IRONLUNG*
voodooman,Im goin through canada in a couple weeks, do you know if i need a passport at the border,and how much security is there
ive gone to montreal a few times and you do. you should just bring one anyways just incase
Old 04-18-2005, 01:42 PM

From what i know Iron, you dont need a passport yet, but in the next year or too i think thats going to be where its headed, but i would bring photo ID and a birth certificet. Atleast in my mind its not getting in to canada thats hard, but getting back in to the US hehe
Old 04-21-2005, 12:28 PM

Z50NATIONALS is an unknown quantity at this point

if you live in the states, sorry no canuck site,
www.municode.com has all the city codes for the usa
click on your state find your town and start reading, i tell you something the judge will tell you and save you the fine money,"ignorance of the law is not a defense".dont be stupid, figure out what the laws are and bend em to your purpose, and running from the cops here is a felony. i dont even try to run cause here its legal to ride em on the streets,they consider them bicycles and those laws apply,head light tail light(night time riding) and helmet is all that is required, although the cc limit here is only 39 cc's most cops dont know and dont care as long as your not passing them at 60 mph they dont even bother.