bubba

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2004, 02:03 PM

weedracer is a decent person
bubba

- press release -

INDIANAPOLIS (March 20, 2004) — Team Chevy Trucks Kawasaki’s James Stewart will not compete in tonight’s THQ AMA Supercross race at the RCA Dome, one week after clinching the 125 Eastern Region Supercross Championship.

Stewart sustained a concussion from a crash in a practice session earlier in the day and was advised by on-site medical personnel to sit out the race and allow adequate time for healing. Dr. John Bodnar, head physician for the innovative on-site Asterisk Medical Unit, met with Stewart just prior to the opening ceremonies and advised him of his options.

The decision was a difficult one for Stewart, who is known for his ultra-competitive edge, and one that he is taking very seriously.

“I think the fans and the media know that I really wanted to compete here in Indy for the first time in my career,” said Stewart. “I was really leaning toward racing tonight, even after Dr. Bodnar’s recommendation. However I received 100% support from my family and teammates and I believe we made the right decisions for the right reasons.

I hope the decision to not race will leave an example for future riders who get a concussion during a race weekend. If they see that I can see the importance of sitting out one race to protect my entire career, then I think I will have made my point.”

Stewart has been advised to stay off his bike for one week and allow adequate time for recovery. Dr. Bodnar said that it is typical for an athlete to resume practice and competition within a week. Stewart’s next scheduled race is April 3 in Pontiac

http://www.dirtxxx.com/article419.html