crf50 carb questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2008, 08:11 PM

DSanchez is a decent person
crf50 carb questions

My girlfriend got herself a crf50, and I'm fixing it up for her. The carb was all clogged with congealed old gas, the air screw was 2.5 turns out, the spark plug was gapped wrong, and the air filter is missing. Searching this forum has been a great help, but I still have some questions.

I cleaned the junk out of the carb, turned the air screw back in to 1/2 turn (factory setting??), and put in a new plug gapped at .032. It runs much better now, but it has a bad hesitation when I open the throttle wide open from idle. Cruising at top speed in 3rd gear, it feels slightly faster if I back off the throttle a bit. Adjusting the air screw doesn't help, so I'm thinking I need to move the jet needle. It's on the 4th slot now. Anyone hazard a guess as to whether it should be leaner or richer? The plug was seriously burnt when the air screw was out 2.5 turns, but it looks OK now. Maaaybe still a little lean, but I probably wouldn't mess with it if it wasn't hesitating.

Also, I'm not sure where to set the idle. I have it set now where the bike pulls forward just a bit at idle in gear. Is that too high?

Finally, wtf is this?

That hose looks like it was probably connected to the stock airbox. Vacuum operated timing advance maybe?? The aftermarket filters for these things don't appear to have a connection for it, though, so maybe it isn't important?

Thanks!
Old 01-15-2008, 06:48 PM
540 BOYZ SUMO STUNTER

E-Loc540 is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: crf50 carb questions

you cant really make any adjustments unless you have an air filter on it....you mentioned it didnt have one.....
Old 01-28-2008, 02:27 AM

jwilli2213 is a decent person

Originally Posted by DSanchez
My girlfriend got herself a crf50, and I'm fixing it up for her. The carb was all clogged with congealed old gas, the air screw was 2.5 turns out, the spark plug was gapped wrong, and the air filter is missing. Searching this forum has been a great help, but I still have some questions.

I cleaned the junk out of the carb, turned the air screw back in to 1/2 turn (factory setting??), and put in a new plug gapped at .032. It runs much better now, but it has a bad hesitation when I open the throttle wide open from idle. Cruising at top speed in 3rd gear, it feels slightly faster if I back off the throttle a bit. Adjusting the air screw doesn't help, so I'm thinking I need to move the jet needle. It's on the 4th slot now. Anyone hazard a guess as to whether it should be leaner or richer? The plug was seriously burnt when the air screw was out 2.5 turns, but it looks OK now. Maaaybe still a little lean, but I probably wouldn't mess with it if it wasn't hesitating.

Also, I'm not sure where to set the idle. I have it set now where the bike pulls forward just a bit at idle in gear. Is that too high?

Finally, wtf is this?

That hose looks like it was probably connected to the stock airbox. Vacuum operated timing advance maybe?? The aftermarket filters for these things don't appear to have a connection for it, though, so maybe it isn't important?

Thanks!

everybody i know and myself just took that black box thing that you circled off i just have the hose that goes into the motor hangin there and its been like thaat for 3 years now never had a problem and when the bike is in N it should not pull forword
Old 01-29-2008, 12:13 PM
540 BOYZ SUMO STUNTER

E-Loc540 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by jwilli2213
everybody i know and myself just took that black box thing that you circled off i just have the hose that goes into the motor hangin there and its been like thaat for 3 years now never had a problem and when the bike is in N it should not pull forword

Thats a Positive Crankcase Ventalation device....it sends blow by gasses that get past the rings back into the intake to be burned again...its mostly emmissions, but if your rings get wore out it may start leaking oil real bad.....you really want to run a tube from the fitting on your crankcase to underneath your bike. either way its not a big deal what you do with it...you cant really hook it back up unless you use your stock airbox....
Old 02-14-2008, 09:37 PM

larson is a decent person

what about the hesitation?