Stunt Bike Forum

Stunt Bike Forum (https://www.stuntlife.com/forums/)
-   Stunt Discussion (https://www.stuntlife.com/forums/2-stunt-discussion)
-   -   How are most consistant with circles?? (https://www.stuntlife.com/forums/2-stunt-discussion/173382-how-most-consistant-circles.html)

THORPE 11-08-2006 11:44 PM

How are most consistant with circles??

What's your best technique for circles to the left without a HB?

I see different people do circles different ways, Some people go in on idle and turn in and seem to just keep it on idle the hole time maybe blipping every now & then.

Other people go in fast and turn it in but it looks like they are back farther going in & then they're gas brake gas brake gas brake......

Iv'e tried them both ways and I get about the same result either way, I can get in about 3-4 top without having to put it down because of either nearly highsiding or letting it get too low and just pulling the clutch.

I remember the Gorka Woods vid saying to dip it in, accelerate up, dip in etc.

Then I talked to Steve with SF and he says he goes in idle and tries to keep it going smooth not much brake kinda like a NTH.

I just want to be consistant and smooth and I'm gettin a little frustrated gettin it on lock.

SCOTT_Chychul 11-09-2006 12:23 AM

Re: How are most consistant with circles??

Practise.. Well i can tell you that speed is your friend.. Its alot easier to dump off some extra speed then it is to gain it when your going slow.. **** idle give it some gas.. Just stay smooth and practice alot..

THORPE 11-09-2006 01:08 AM

So dip it in.....accelaerate or the just smoothness?

ssteve 11-09-2006 01:10 AM

Is it easier to be smooth with your left foot on the seat or the passenger peg?

THORPE 11-09-2006 01:13 AM

[QUOTE=ssteve]Is it easier to be smooth with your left foot on the seat or the passenger peg?[/QUOTE]

It's easier for me to be smooth on the peg but I can throw the bike around better with my foot in the seat.

old man roger 11-09-2006 01:15 AM

it is gonna be smooth if your on idle ....your not chopping the throttle

THORPE 11-09-2006 01:35 AM

[QUOTE=old man roger]it is gonna be smooth if your on idle ....your not chopping the throttle[/QUOTE]

So i guess I need to focus more on keeping it in the circle with body positioning and speed & just keep the height as steady as possible like when doing a no hander ?

Steve watched me try a few weeks ago and he said I was using too much brake and needed to keep my front a little lower and that helped alot.
Now I just nudge the brake when I need it but mostly blip the throttle slightly when it feels like it wants to highside.
Does that sound like the right direction?

Kaneone 11-09-2006 05:32 AM

idle this...

-kane

MikeM 11-09-2006 06:48 AM

[QUOTE=Kaneone]idle this...

-kane[/QUOTE]
idle what?

-tom

ELOPEZ636 11-09-2006 07:01 AM

kane means f u k k tha idle use tha throttle

shky4 11-09-2006 09:34 AM

Man Frankie, I didn't know you were that far along in circles. Thats awesome. I didn't know you weren't supposed to try to idle throught the circles either.
Maybe that's why I can only get 76 circles at a time.:LOL

shky4 11-09-2006 09:35 AM

oh yeah, I'm Beau from Jackson.
I can't remember if you know my stuntlife name.

Matt Gorka 11-09-2006 11:50 AM

If you want to just do it, turn the idle up to where it pulls the bike up in the event you hit the brake too much and all you have to do is let off the brake to bring it back. The technique we speak about in the video is the only way to do it.....when you get smooth, you don't notice that you're actually doing the same thing we illustrate, only much, much smaller movements to the point where it feels like you're cruising around in a circle. Then, when you get that down, turn your idle back down to 800rpm and learn throttle control so you're not riding around the spot at 4 grand. If you get good at clutching it up and locking your throttle with your hand, you can keep it just as smooth, if not smoother than with the idle up.....Plus it will make you look like a hero to the idle junkies who have no throttle control :)

mikkee 11-09-2006 11:56 AM

[QUOTE=SCOTT_Chychul]Practise.. Well i can tell you that speed is your friend.. Its alot easier to dump off some extra speed then it is to gain it when your going slow.. **** idle give it some gas.. Just stay smooth and practice alot..[/QUOTE]

+1

And most of it is mental so getting frustrated isn't going to help you, just go out there with confidence, have fun and they'll get better.:2cents

SCOTT_Chychul 11-09-2006 11:57 AM

Gorka you odviously know more about this shit then i do, but telling someone that is trying to learn and can only do 4 to turn down their idle to 800, seems like something i'd do to someone that pissed me off, and i wanted to see them highside their bike in a nasty way. :shruggs

Joker 11-09-2006 12:01 PM

[QUOTE=SCOTT_Chychul]Gorka you odviously know more about this shit then i do, but telling someone that is trying to learn and can only do 4 to turn down their idle to 800, seems like something i'd do to someone that pissed me off, and i wanted to see them highside their bike in a nasty way. :shruggs[/QUOTE]

I think he said turn it down after he gets idle circles on lock :shruggs

Matt Gorka 11-09-2006 12:04 PM

[QUOTE=SCOTT_Chychul]Gorka you odviously know more about this shit then i do, but telling someone that is trying to learn and can only do 4 to turn down their idle to 800, seems like something i'd do to someone that pissed me off, and i wanted to see them highside their bike in a nasty way. :shruggs[/QUOTE]

Re-read my post, homie. I said after you get it down, go back and learn it with the idle turned down so you look cool. It's all about looking cool, isn't it? :) You are right though.

I busted the idle screw off my rr and was forced to do it without the idle up. I'm probably smoother now than I've ever been because of it.

JohnnyP 11-09-2006 12:04 PM

I used to use alot of idle when I was learning them and try and just keep them smoothly going around with the brake and idle. Ive now started to get more comfortable with the gas, and I am getting more turns, tighter, faster, and more fun out of my circles.....

+1 for gas gas gas

SCOTT_Chychul 11-09-2006 12:07 PM

[QUOTE=Matt Gorka]Re-read my post, homie. I said after you get it down, go back and learn it with the throttle turned down so you look cool. It's all about looking cool, isn't it? :)

I busted the idle screw off my rr and was forced to do it without the idle up. I'm probably smoother now than I've ever been because of it.[/QUOTE]

Ahh yes,, how foolish of me.. Im workin on my first cup of coffee here. Give me a break.

old man roger 11-09-2006 12:24 PM

D O N T... Q U E S T I O N ....t H E ...g O R K A!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SCOTT_Chychul 11-09-2006 12:26 PM

When you think too much about too many variables it makes it way harder then it needs to be. You want to be at stready speed coming into the circle. Whatever speed you choose, just keep it steady so your not speeding up or slowing down. That way when your coming into it your speed wont be on your mind at all. Dont be affraid to get it leaned over. The more you lean it over before you gas it the more room for error you have. If you keep it up high, as soon as you get on the gas you will be close to a highside scenario. If your nice and low you can get on the gas for a while before its going to get close to highsiding.

[QUOTE=revditup]I need it but mostly blip the throttle slightly when it feels like it wants to highside.
Does that sound like the right direction?[/QUOTE]

Thats the exact opposite of what you need to be doing. If you gas it when its coming up and out on you, your going to make it worse. I think all you need is alot of practice, start making things that are working for you routine so its one less thing that you think about and its just a sub-concious thing.

CARNAHKT 11-09-2006 12:31 PM

I like my idle at at least 1500 but reguardless of idle in order to be smooth you need to be very suttle with the throttle, brake, and body english. If im going for smoothness I like to think of doing everything in slow motion, meaning instead of a quick tap of the brake just ease on the brake and instead of blirping the throttle ease on to it and so on. In order to do this you need to anticipate what the bike is going to do and not wait till your about to wreck. Consistency is a little different, in order to be consistent you have to control steer the bike by rotating the bike or leaning in or out. If you go into the circle and just let your brake and throttle do the work you probably wont make it past 3 or 4. What i do is when im getting to high I'll pull on my right handle bar and push on the left and give it a little gas at the same time. that steers the bike in to a wider circle allowing you to fall back in. If you start to fall in to much you do the exact opposite. hope that helps.

THORPE 11-09-2006 12:42 PM

I'll try it tonight and see what I can get out of it.

I think I had been doing it backwards. When I was on idle and would go around 1/2 slightly on the brake and when it would start to stand up on me and come out, I would let off the brake and turn it back in. That was the way I learned them dragging foot but I know I had alot more weight on the inside to pull with instead of leaning the bike over as much.

So I think i get it.....say I got the idle up, turn it in ride around 1/4 and let it fall a little, slightly gas it up to where the bike comes back up from the outward momentum, let off the gas enough to let it catch idle again, repeat...

Oh and only use the brake if I gas it to far back but only enough to get back to idle

This sound promising?

THORPE 11-09-2006 12:43 PM

I posted before I read new post. reading now....

old man roger 11-09-2006 12:46 PM

ps matt and kyle use to ride at gateway in west palm beach fla you could barely hear your self think the bikes idled so high ......funny how things change!!!!!!! any way watching how smooth they rode back then is why i turn my idle up in the first place now im just use to it.guess im an idle junky created from watchin matt and kyle back when i didnt even ride.it s u c k s when one of your heros slaps you down with out even knowing it hahahahahah now i guess i have to turn my idle down........f u c k that im an idle stunna with a bigggggg sprocket parkin lot pimp. ps ff mirrors blinkers and yup yup a mud flap to......dont get it twisted matt and kyle are still my heros!!!!!!!!

THORPE 11-09-2006 12:48 PM

Ok thank you all for the help and I'll be back to tell the story.

Hopefully a story about a never ending cirlce :LOL

THORPE 11-09-2006 12:52 PM

[QUOTE=shky4]Man Frankie, I didn't know you were that far along in circles. Thats awesome. I didn't know you weren't supposed to try to idle throught the circles either.
Maybe that's why I can only get 76 circles at a time.:LOL[/QUOTE]

Man I've been working on them every chance I get ever since Byram. I was doing 1 or 2 then & somehow I've gotten 2 more in doing them the wrong way :LOL

old man roger 11-09-2006 12:55 PM

oh ya hitting the bar is way better than high siding so keep em high and that blurpin the throttle to keep from highsiding does work so dont let any one talk you out of that habit....heres a practice night[URL="http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v208/csprogr34/?action=view&current=Sample1.flv"]http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v2...nt=Sample1.flv[/URL]

mikkee 11-09-2006 01:01 PM

[QUOTE=SCOTT_Chychul]When you think too much about too many variables it makes it way harder then it needs to be. You want to be at stready speed coming into the circle. Whatever speed you choose, just keep it steady so your not speeding up or slowing down. That way when your coming into it your speed wont be on your mind at all. Dont be affraid to get it leaned over. The more you lean it over before you gas it the more room for error you have. If you keep it up high, as soon as you get on the gas you will be close to a highside scenario. If your nice and low you can get on the gas for a while before its going to get close to highsiding. [/QUOTE]

This is good, and I want to add to this. Think less, do more... Don't beat yourself up by thinking so much.. That seems to slow down progression..

I can think of 3 different body positions, lean angles, and speed when going into and while already turning circles.

1 - High and slow idle, and small lean. If your going in slow and the bike is high, or your circle tightens up, and is slow, and you need to be up close to the bike, then after the 1/4 turn in that position, I push the bike down and away from my body and gas it through the next 1/4 or 1/2 turn.

2 - Medium hight, medium speed, medium lean. This is what I call the circle sweet spot. The hard thing is keeping it there 1/4 turn at a time, apply equal amount of gas/break, and be smooth on the throttle and HB to keep it there.

3 - Nose is low, leaned over a lot, and moving fast. If you go in hot, or brake too much and the nose falls you need to gas, gas, gas! To bring it back to the sweet spot but if you gas too much, the bike will come back up high and tight and with that speed guess what... HIGHSIDE!! ha ha.

Basically these are the 3 different areas where you can be at while going into or already in the circle and how to correct yourself when falling out or turning tight, and trying to get back to the sweet spot where they'll be smooth. Hope this helps more..

SCOTT_Chychul 11-09-2006 01:05 PM

[QUOTE=revditup]I'll try it tonight and see what I can get out of it.

I think I had been doing it backwards. When I was on idle and would go around 1/2 slightly on the brake and when it would start to stand up on me and come out, I would let off the brake and turn it back in. That was the way I learned them dragging foot but I know I had alot more weight on the inside to pull with instead of leaning the bike over as much.

So I think i get it.....say I got the idle up, turn it in ride around 1/4 and let it fall a little, slightly gas it up to where the bike comes back up from the outward momentum, let off the gas enough to let it catch idle again, repeat...

Oh and only use the brake if I gas it to far back but only enough to get back to idle

This sound promising?[/QUOTE]

Anticipate, and correct it before it even happens. Can you rock a highway wheelie, get off on an exit and then slow it down to almost a stop at a red light because you are in 3rd gear ? Thats right,, bikes have more then one. If not.. i suggest you go out and learn the basic principles of speeding up, slowing down and body weight positioning while the bike is upright before you even think about doing it when its spinning around. :shruggs

aw0n0 11-09-2006 01:19 PM

[QUOTE=old man roger]ps matt and kyle use to ride at gateway in west palm beach fla you could barely hear your self think the bikes idled so high ......funny how things change!!!!!!! any way watching how smooth they rode back then is why i turn my idle up in the first place now im just use to it.guess im an idle junky created from watchin matt and kyle back when i didnt even ride.it s u c k s when one of your heros slaps you down with out even knowing it hahahahahah now i guess i have to turn my idle down........f u c k that im an idle stunna with a bigggggg sprocket parkin lot pimp. ps ff mirrors blinkers and yup yup a mud flap to......dont get it twisted matt and kyle are still my heros!!!!!!!![/QUOTE]

youre MY hero roger! :LOL

THORPE 11-09-2006 01:22 PM

[QUOTE=SCOTT_Chychul]Anticipate, and correct it before it even happens. Can you rock a highway wheelie, get off on an exit and then slow it down to almost a stop at a red light because you are in 3rd gear ? Thats right,, bikes have more then one. If not.. i suggest you go out and learn the basic principles of speeding up, slowing down and body weight positioning while the bike is upright before you even think about doing it when its spinning around. :shruggs[/QUOTE]

Yeah I got that stuff no problem. I'l get it sooner or later. I wish I had a video camera to see my mistakes :broke

SCOTT_Chychul 11-09-2006 01:34 PM

good luck young grasshopper :cheers

King Tony 11-09-2006 01:47 PM

[QUOTE=revditup]What's your best technique for circles to the left without a HB?

I see different people do circles different ways, Some people go in on idle and turn in and seem to just keep it on idle the hole time maybe blipping every now & then.

Other people go in fast and turn it in but it looks like they are back farther going in & then they're gas brake gas brake gas brake......

Iv'e tried them both ways and I get about the same result either way, I can get in about 3-4 top without having to put it down because of either nearly highsiding or letting it get too low and just pulling the clutch.

I remember the Gorka Woods vid saying to dip it in, accelerate up, dip in etc.

Then I talked to Steve with SF and he says he goes in idle and tries to keep it going smooth not much brake kinda like a NTH.

I just want to be consistant and smooth and I'm gettin a little frustrated gettin it on lock.[/QUOTE]
U can just bring yo ass to little rock and ride with me.:shruggs

THORPE 11-09-2006 01:53 PM

Yeah man I need to ride with some people that know what's up.

You remember me (frankie) at Freestyle freek fest in Hattiesburg, MS? I didn't have a bike a the time but It was me and Micah that put it together.

Matt Gorka 11-09-2006 01:57 PM

[QUOTE=old man roger]ps matt and kyle use to ride at gateway in west palm beach fla you could barely hear your self think the bikes idled so high ......funny how things change!!!!!!! any way watching how smooth they rode back then is why i turn my idle up in the first place now im just use to it.guess im an idle junky created from watchin matt and kyle back when i didnt even ride.it s u c k s when one of your heros slaps you down with out even knowing it hahahahahah now i guess i have to turn my idle down........f u c k that im an idle stunna with a bigggggg sprocket parkin lot pimp. ps ff mirrors blinkers and yup yup a mud flap to......dont get it twisted matt and kyle are still my heros!!!!!!!![/QUOTE]

Come on now. I rode with the idle up for years!!! Not saying anything bad if you do, but I spent some time learning with just the throttle control and I can honestly say, if you have some time to kill and no new tricks to learn, turn the idle down and go practice....You'll thank yourself. It's nice to clutch it up, rock a coaster then dip it into a dozen circles without your bike sounding like a lawnmower all the time.

thehate. 11-09-2006 02:13 PM

[QUOTE=old man roger]oh ya hitting the bar is way better than high siding so keep em high and that blurpin the throttle to keep from highsiding does work so dont let any one talk you out of that habit....heres a practice night[URL="http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v208/csprogr34/?action=view&current=Sample1.flv"]http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v2...nt=Sample1.flv[/URL][/QUOTE]
Roger,if thoes are idle -0-'s they look sick for off gas -0-'s man!!!!

ALSTAR 11-09-2006 02:39 PM

thanks for the thread makes for good reading starting to understand them 0 s

old man roger 11-09-2006 06:30 PM

[quote=Matt Gorka]Come on now. I rode with the idle up for years!!! Not saying anything bad if you do, but I spent some time learning with just the throttle control and I can honestly say, if you have some time to kill and no new tricks to learn, turn the idle down and go practice....You'll thank yourself. It's nice to clutch it up, rock a coaster then dip it into a dozen circles without your bike sounding like a lawnmower all the time.[/quote]i like lawn mowers:YEAH braaaaaap thats me going ridin sample if your in town matt

THORPE 11-10-2006 11:25 AM

Didn't get to ride last night dammit!

It's killin me to try this stuff out! I'm gonna ride rain or shine this weekend and I'll try to post some footage of some (hopefully) progress.