need a catalytic converter for a 01 frontier ASAP

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2011, 06:36 PM

zookiezook is a decent person
Re: need a catalytic converter for a 01 frontier ASAP

so i called this shop that " tunes " imports or whatever

first off ill say they are retarded and he didnt even know the program they used

i told him my situation and asked if he was running a program that he could just straight bypass the o2's on the cpu and then i would just eliminate the cats and run a straight pipe off the headers
he didnt really know what i was talkin about

then he told me they dont tune nissan or hondas

they just do mitsubishi ... i hope all 4 people in this city with evos want to get there **** tuned lol

i need to be down there this week so im thinking ill just say **** it and when i make it to tampa my boy has a shop and hopefully he has a real time scanner that i can actually go through and see what the problem is

cause im not really making a whole lot of progress
ive looked in almost every damn craigslist state/city for frontiers being parted out
i didnt think it would be this hard
Old 02-14-2011, 07:53 PM
also known as OMR

old man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for rep

Originally Posted by zookiezook
yea i know rebuilding them aint something most shops would do
was wondering if its something i could do
to lazy to read into it right now lol

and yea i know i could gut it so that a possibility im pondering
which is probably what ill end up doing

and yea i have an o2 past the 1st cat and its reading pretty weak
the first o2 is fine and reading good numbers

it sucks that its ******* illegal for salvage yards or whoever to sell them
its ****** bullshit
i dont think rebuilding it is some thing you could do, when a cat goes bad it either over heats and the substrate breaks or it just melts and clogs itself up , in order to rebuild it you would have to be able to make the substrate ..

this is what they usually look like inside when they go bad

Old 02-14-2011, 08:16 PM

are those pieces on the right from inside the cat?
Old 02-14-2011, 08:22 PM
also known as OMR

old man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for rep

Originally Posted by zookiezook
are those pieces on the right from inside the cat?
yup the inside of most cats look like a bee hive , there are a few different styles but most look like that
Old 02-14-2011, 09:31 PM

yea i know about the bee hive and seen some cats but never really took em apart or bashed them
usually just sold em lol

i just thought about something

if my first cat was bad and that 2nd o2 was barely reading
would the 2nd cat even read out on the scanner?
Old 02-14-2011, 09:32 PM
also known as OMR

im not sure what you mean
Old 02-15-2011, 12:24 PM

like would the 2nd cat even get a reading from the scanner if the first cat was clogged or bad or whatever

like would the scanner say something like
catalytic failure 1st AND 2nd bank or whatever
Old 02-15-2011, 03:17 PM
also known as OMR

oh i see what youre saying , im not sure because if the first cat broke the second would be getting more unburnt fuel than it should but if the first was clogged then the second probably wouldnt be getting as much as it should
Old 02-15-2011, 06:42 PM

yea thats what i was thinking

and i noticed light white smoke lol

so now thinking you might be right about it being caused by something else

i hardly drive the truck and so maybe it was caused by sitting and something cause its a 10 yr old truck but the mileage is still way under 100k

at this point i found a couple cats for $100 so im thinking ill just buy one, throw it on .. if the check engine light doesnt go off and the gas mileage remains the same im just gonna take it right back off so i dont ruin it, throw the old one back on and go through it and really try and find out what the problem is
Old 02-16-2011, 01:52 AM
also known as OMR

good idea
Old 02-19-2011, 11:07 AM

Mobile update lol
pulled plugs, they were bad and not gapped right ( I can thank a friend for that lol )
put new ones in reset light and stayed off for 1,000 miles or so and just cameback on in Georgia area
maybe same prob cause I bought cheap plugs just to see if that helped and it did
anywAys I'll b watching u ride soon omr lol
Old 02-19-2011, 05:10 PM
also known as OMR

lol , see ya when ya get here