need a catalytic converter for a 01 frontier ASAP

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2011, 03:57 PM

zookiezook is a decent person
need a catalytic converter for a 01 frontier ASAP

hoping someone here has a connection somewhere
its a 2.4 2wd
its the first cat i need, the cone shaped one
im only gettin 15mpg right now and have to drive to florida and back this week so def need to get better gas than that

if someone can help me out with a fair price
text/call anytime 5857337699
Old 02-12-2011, 04:58 PM
also known as OMR

old man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for rep
Re: need a catalytic converter for a 01 frontier ASAP

zookie alot of times a vehicle running rich is what causes the converter to fail because it cant handle all the unburned fuel so it over heats and falls apart from the inside ..

if you get a new cat make sure you dont have another problem or you may just cook your brand new cat , if you do have a problem thats causing you to run rich you will still get bad mileage even with the new cat ..
Old 02-12-2011, 04:59 PM
also known as OMR

old man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for rep

oh ya and dont forget to check your tip over switch
Old 02-13-2011, 11:07 AM

Originally Posted by old man roger
oh ya and dont forget to check your tip over switch
lol
thats the first thing i checked

and yea it has that clogged cat smell and i hooked it up to a real time scanner and the secondary 02 is hardly reading so im pretty sure thats what it is ..
but i wished it was something cheaper cause im not finding these damn things for under 300 or so

i was hoping to find somebody parting one of these trucks out or something but who knows .. i need one asap
Old 02-13-2011, 11:13 AM

any 240 people out there

i kno there both ka24 blocks but not sure if the exahust system is the same and if the 240's have 2 cats and if that first one is a cone shapped one like the frontier

if so i know theres a lot of 240's around and would just try and use that one

or if i could get a header and down tube that eliminates that first cat but still has the second o2 slot and connect it to the 2nd cat

idk i need to have this problem figured out by tuesday or wednesday so somebody help me out lol
i have to drive to lauderdale OMR and thats a lot of gas money if im only gettin 15mpg
Old 02-13-2011, 01:39 PM
also known as OMR

any decent exhaust shop should be able to check to see if the cat is clogged or broken , the easiest way to see if it's broken is to just bang on the cat with your fist and see if it rattles and the easiest way to see if it's clogged is to drill hole in the pipe in front of the cat and check the back pressure with a gauge , like i said any decent exhaust shop should have the gauge and most will check it for free .

you may not even need a cat you may just be running rich for some reason and if thats the case replacing the cat wont cure your problem ..

and by the way i only live about 20 minutes north of lauderdale so if your bringing your bike hit me up and we'll hit the spot one night while your down here ..
Old 02-13-2011, 01:46 PM

yea .. there aint that many good shops around me that will do that and i dont believe half the **** they tell me anyways lol

if anything ill buy one if i can get it cheap enough and if thats not the problem either return it or just resell it ... or just keep it cause i can get 100 for my scraped old one

i found one in houston craigslist so now gotta see if i can find someone here or on sr that could maybe pick it up for me and ship cause i dont trust some random person on craigslist
Old 02-13-2011, 01:50 PM

o and OMR
i am picking up a crashed bike i left in tampa so not really lot ready lol
but its runs and drives fine... its just all stock with no plastics
so not wanting to risk dropping it without any cages or anything

but im coming to lauderdale to visit a cousin, but i was gonna try and suprse visit him
i just hope hes not out of town and im stuck in a motel lol
Old 02-13-2011, 02:12 PM
also known as OMR

if youre down long enough at least try to swing by the spot one night ..

as far as the back pressure test goes call around i bet you can find an exhaust shop that will check it for ya for free and you dont have to take their word for it you can just look at the gauge when they do the test , i just hate to see you spend the money on a cat if that wasnt the original problem ..
Old 02-13-2011, 02:29 PM

yea i never like spending unnecessary money lol
ive been trying to read into it a little on frontier and nissan forums but i get sidetracked real quick

and yea maybe ill come watch or something lol
i fucked up my knee anyways and it hurts to even put pressure on it and walk
and def dont have insurance so its gonna b hurting for a while
its not like i have a job or anything that i have to get back for so as long as my cousin dont bounce or is out of town then id b down

maybe ill pick up an omr sub and install it at the spot while u guys are riding and stare at it until i get some more parts lol

Last edited by zookiezook; 02-13-2011 at 02:32 PM.
Old 02-13-2011, 04:09 PM
also known as OMR

lol that'll work
Old 02-14-2011, 08:40 AM

u guys usually hit the spot at night or during the day?
Old 02-14-2011, 11:02 AM

o and called a couple shops bout that test
most of them dont do it and the only couple i found wanted like $60 so **** that
Old 02-14-2011, 12:33 PM
also known as OMR

Originally Posted by zookiezook
o and called a couple shops bout that test
most of them dont do it and the only couple i found wanted like $60 so **** that
wow thats unreal , it takes about two minutes to test it ..

we ride at night most of the time , some times during the day on sundays
Old 02-14-2011, 01:36 PM

Originally Posted by old man roger
wow thats unreal , it takes about two minutes to test it ..
the funny thing is
a couple of the shops i called didnt even know what i was talking about
monro MUFFLER doesnt do them or any of the corporate kind of shops dont do them

and a few shops said nope we dont do them without hesitation
and i found like 2 shops that did and they wanted like 65

and thats why i hate shops
Old 02-14-2011, 02:53 PM
also known as OMR

the funny thing is
a couple of the shops i called didnt even know what i was talking about
monro MUFFLER doesnt do them or any of the corporate kind of shops dont do them

and a few shops said nope we dont do them without hesitation
and i found like 2 shops that did and they wanted like 65

and thats why i hate shops
they are losing business , when i ran a muffler shop cats were the best paying easiest jobs ..
Old 02-14-2011, 04:26 PM

they replace them and whatever but wont really go past that
like i said thats why i hate shops man
but they have no problem telling me they can order me one and install it for a ridiculous amount of money

i went to this one shop and asked the guy about it and he said he cant do the test
so then he calls one of his workers in and asks him to call up EASTERN CATS and get a quote, then he hits me with the old .... and "knock" off 20% off that for him,
so then he tells me he can order it and have it installed for 350
so i looked up the price and i can get em for 200, so then thats $150 to loosen and retighten 7 total bolts, and he can probably get it even cheaper
and from what i read eastern cats suck and people are complaining more than not

i think im gonna need to pay a crack head to get me one

you ever rebuild them?
Old 02-14-2011, 05:13 PM
also known as OMR

they replace them and whatever but wont really go past that
like i said thats why i hate shops man
but they have no problem telling me they can order me one and install it for a ridiculous amount of money

i went to this one shop and asked the guy about it and he said he cant do the test
so then he calls one of his workers in and asks him to call up EASTERN CATS and get a quote, then he hits me with the old .... and "knock" off 20% off that for him,
so then he tells me he can order it and have it installed for 350
so i looked up the price and i can get em for 200, so then thats $150 to loosen and retighten 7 total bolts, and he can probably get it even cheaper
and from what i read eastern cats suck and people are complaining more than not

i think im gonna need to pay a crack head to get me one

you ever rebuild them?
no thats not a process you can just do in any old shop , i have aahh , i mean i know people that have gutted them though ..

if there is an 02 sensor behind the cat meaning down stream as the exhaust flows some times you can just gut the cat and raise the 02 sensor up a little by adding a second bung , that way the 02 sensor isnt quite in the flow of the exhaust ..

an 02 sensor that is after a cat reads the amount of unburned fuel and with the cat gutted it will think the car is running super rich so you need to fool it by lifting it out of the flow a little ..or so i have been told ..lol
Old 02-14-2011, 05:14 PM
also known as OMR

my main concern here is that you have another problem that caused your converter to go bad in the first place ..
Old 02-14-2011, 06:27 PM

yea i know rebuilding them aint something most shops would do
was wondering if its something i could do
to lazy to read into it right now lol

and yea i know i could gut it so that a possibility im pondering
which is probably what ill end up doing

and yea i have an o2 past the 1st cat and its reading pretty weak
the first o2 is fine and reading good numbers

it sucks that its ******* illegal for salvage yards or whoever to sell them
its ****** bullshit