73 lemans brakeline question

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2009, 06:04 PM
takingitbacktotheoldskool

RROCCO will become famous soon enoughRROCCO will become famous soon enough
73 lemans brakeline question

im looking at selling my car and buying a 73 lemans. problem is it needs brake lines cuz they rusted through. ive never done it before and wouldnt think its overly difficult but was wondering what it all entails. does it need to go through the frame? how do you make the bends? can a rubber tube temporarily replace the rusted area or is that to unsafe? how difficult is it to bend and run the line? i know theres a few guys here like dlish that are into older muscle that could give me some insight at what im looking at to make it roadworthy once again.
Old 03-21-2009, 06:11 PM

juzslidin has a spectacular aura aboutjuzslidin has a spectacular aura about
Re: 73 lemans brakeline question

Originally Posted by RROCCO
im looking at selling my car and buying a 73 lemans. problem is it needs brake lines cuz they rusted through. ive never done it before and wouldnt think its overly difficult but was wondering what it all entails. does it need to go through the frame? how do you make the bends? can a rubber tube temporarily replace the rusted area or is that to unsafe? how difficult is it to bend and run the line? i know theres a few guys here like dlish that are into older muscle that could give me some insight at what im looking at to make it roadworthy once again.
its not too bad of a job , just make sure you buy the right tools . need a line bender , flare tool , and take your time . shouldnt cost more than 200 between tools , lines / junctions , fittings and beer and or food . just take your time and follow the stock routing as close as you can . keep em away from moving parts and the exhaust .

as to patching the line with rubber ... in short you will be dead lol not safe at all . rubber hose wont hold up to the pressure . and before some smart *** says that they have rubber going to the caliper .... its different . good luck
scott
Old 03-21-2009, 06:18 PM
takingitbacktotheoldskool

RROCCO will become famous soon enoughRROCCO will become famous soon enough

i think the stock line routes through the frame. since i would be running a new line do i still put it through the frame or alongside it? i checked and a replacement line kit looks like it comes in 7 pieces. is that pre bent and separated or just the way it comes?

heres a link unless theres better sites to buy replacement parts.

http://www.inlinetube.com/Preformed%.../PL-CAT-05.htm
Old 03-21-2009, 07:14 PM
also known as OMR

old man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for rep

Originally Posted by RROCCO
i think the stock line routes through the frame. since i would be running a new line do i still put it through the frame or alongside it? i checked and a replacement line kit looks like it comes in 7 pieces. is that pre bent and separated or just the way it comes?

heres a link unless theres better sites to buy replacement parts.

http://www.inlinetube.com/Preformed%.../PL-CAT-05.htm
you can buy brake line at any auto parts store cheap as hell and bend it by hand ,and you just run it down the side of the frame , just attach it to the frame every foot or so to keep it from rubbing ...

they sell little rubber lined hoops that you can bolt to the frame to hold the lines
Old 03-22-2009, 06:20 AM
I'M A REGISTERED USER !!

Crazy D is a splendid one to beholdCrazy D is a splendid one to beholdCrazy D is a splendid one to beholdCrazy D is a splendid one to beholdCrazy D is a splendid one to beholdCrazy D is a splendid one to beholdCrazy D is a splendid one to behold

The parts link you posted said all the lines will be pre-bent with fittings on the end . The price they list isn't really that bad of a price . In my opinion .

Getting the lines thru the frame might be a problem , but they were originally installed that way , so try to install them back that way .

Some advise . Spray some penetrating lube on the nuts before trying to loosen them . And let them sit for awhile so the **** soaks in . You could even spray them twice , and tap on them to break the rust up (I call this " getting their attention" )

Always use line wrenches if you are taking apart the lines from the junction blocks or where the lines connect . Not using line wrenches will probably strip the heads fast . If they are stuck , put a little heat on them and then try . (propane torch works good) (remember to wipe off the penetrating lube off before you heat it up cause it might be flammable lube ) . If they still are stuck , cut the line at the nut , put a 6 point impact socket on it , and use a 3/8 air gun to get it out . or use a 3/8 ratchet with the socket .

If you have a 3/8 air gun and a 6 point socket , and can get at the fittings with a good angle , that is the easiest way to get rusted line nuts loose . Don't use 12 point sockets . That will probably strip them super fast .

Last edited by Crazy D; 03-22-2009 at 06:33 AM.